BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2024, 04:19 PM   #1
Stuabroad
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 40i MSport

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZP (run flat) - Feedback?

Needing new tires, anyone run these and got feedback?
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

Will let you know the first impressions next Sunday, if all goes well with the weather. We have a long drive planned towards the end of April, all the way to Vancouver Island, and that should allow for some long distance highway driving feedback as well. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 04:31 PM   #3
Stuabroad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc-yyc View Post
Will let you know the first impressions next Sunday, if all goes well with the weather. We have a long drive planned towards the end of April, all the way to Vancouver Island, and that should allow for some long distance highway driving feedback as well. Stay tuned!
Nice, i'm likely going to pull the pin on these next week. Wouldn't mind a drive to Vancouver Island, need to wait until June for that!
      04-14-2024, 12:03 PM   #4
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuabroad View Post
Nice, i'm likely going to pull the pin on these next week. Wouldn't mind a drive to Vancouver Island, need to wait until June for that!
The seasonal swap is done and the brand new summer tires are finally installed. Good riddance to those god-awful Continentals, and hello Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZPs ! Drove around for about an hour after picking up the X5, running errands, over a mix of highways and inner city roads and covered about 50 kms to form a first impression of sorts and in direct comparison with the Continental Premium Contact 6 SSRs. Please note: this is a first impression summary and totally subjective, so YMMV. Plus, I'm heavily biased towards Michelin as a brand Always found their tires to be more to my liking than any other brand.

Steering feel - much more precise and direct than the Continentals.
Ride - Not overly harsh, but much, much better than the Continentals. On smooth tarmac, I could tell that they're RFTs but not by much.
Handling - The X5 feels more taut and agile compared to how it felt with the Continentals.
Braking - didn't get to test hard braking in an urban environment so no comment at this time.
Subjective Comfort - significantly better than the Continentals, that's for sure, but not as comfortable as Non-RFTs as well.
Noise - definitely more noisy than the winter Pilot Alpin's I was running for the past 6 months. But not as noisy as the Continentals. They had this weird thrum at about 100 kmph on the highways that used to drive me mad. No such noise so far from the Michelins.

More pictures on this thread
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2024, 07:23 AM   #5
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Great review.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #6
Stuabroad
Private
Rep

Quote:
The seasonal swap is done and the brand new summer tires are finally installed. Good riddance to those god-awful Continentals, and hello Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV ZPs ! Drove around for about an hour after picking up the X5, running errands, over a mix of highways and inner city roads and covered about 50 kms to form a first impression of sorts and in direct comparison with the Continental Premium Contact 6 SSRs. Please note: this is a first impression summary and totally subjective, so YMMV. Plus, I'm heavily biased towards Michelin as a brand Always found their tires to be more to my liking than any other brand.

Steering feel - much more precise and direct than the Continentals.
Ride - Not overly harsh, but much, much better than the Continentals. On smooth tarmac, I could tell that they're RFTs but not by much.
Handling - The X5 feels more taut and agile compared to how it felt with the Continentals.
Braking - didn't get to test hard braking in an urban environment so no comment at this time.
Subjective Comfort - significantly better than the Continentals, that's for sure, but not as comfortable as Non-RFTs as well.
Noise - definitely more noisy than the winter Pilot Alpin's I was running for the past 6 months. But not as noisy as the Continentals. They had this weird thrum at about 100 kmph on the highways that used to drive me mad. No such noise so far from the Michelins.

More pictures on this thread
I don't seem to get notifications lol. Great review, they look great. Glad to hear the road noise is minimal with the run flats as that was my biggest concern. Mine go on 1st May
      04-18-2024, 06:50 PM   #7
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't seem to get notifications lol. Great review, they look great. Glad to hear the road noise is minimal with the run flats as that was my biggest concern. Mine go on 1st May
While road noise is low for an RFT, it's definitely noticeable and higher than non-RFTs. Especially over broken and bad roads. Most roads in Calgary have become quite shit over the last few years and maintenance is glacially slow, mostly patchworks wherever there's a pothole, and especially now right after winter. And when I drive on such roads, I can absolutely feel, and more importantly hear, the RFT-ness So I'd absolutely recommend tempering expectations about road noise.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 06:54 PM   #8
Stuabroad
Private
Rep

Quote:
While road noise is low for an RFT, it's definitely noticeable and higher than non-RFTs. Especially over broken and bad roads. Most roads in Calgary have become quite shit over the last few years and maintenance is glacially slow, mostly patchworks wherever there's a pothole, and especially now right after winter. And when I drive on such roads, I can absolutely feel, and more importantly hear, the RFT-ness So I'd absolutely recommend tempering expectations about road noise.
Understood, all shall be revealed in two weeks time...
sbc-yyc84.00
      04-20-2024, 11:12 PM   #9
cptcolo
2023 X5 45e Owner
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 45e M Sport

Quote:
Needing new tires, anyone run these and got feedback?
I have the Pilot Sport 5 on my car and really like them. I will be posting a review comparing them to the Michelin CrossClimate2 fairly soon. In sort I think both are really good tires. If you never snow, ice, or cold weather performance the Pilot Sport 5 is the way to go, but if you encounter some ice or cold weather the CrossClimate2 still handles pretty well but has the added ice performance. I live in Arizona and I think once I run through the thread on the Pilot Sport 5, I will just stick with CrossClimate2 since then I don't have to do the seasonal switch (I take frequent trips back to Colorado in the winter time).
Appreciate 0