BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

Service Appointment Trepidation

Relative to some out here, my week 40 build has been relatively problem free. My plan was to wait to bring it in for service until after the rumored upcoming major software/firmware update is released... and after posts advise that the update went smoothly and that it successfully addressed the myriad issues people have reported.

Well, that was until my check engine light came on and has stayed on for three days now. I'm compelled to bring it in now, but I don't want any updates installed since the recent ones seemed to have introduced as many issues as they have fixed.

Talked to my SA, who told me there IS in fact a campaign (recall) on my vehicle, requiring a software update. Don't at this point have any details regarding what it's intended to fix, but SA said it is my option to not have it installed, i.e. I could stick with my plan to go in later for the major release whenever that happens.

Scheduled to bring it in on Tuesday 2/12.

Open to suggestions/recommendations. Anyone else have the check engine light come on? What was the issue? How was it addressed?
      02-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I avoid my dealer like the plague, they always without fail mess something up on my car. Whether this means scuffing my fender somehow (on my X3), forgetting to reinstall a piece (same X3) or messing up my leather driver's seat (X5) I always try waiting whenever possible
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Took my (perfectly drivable) X5 in for minor items and they performed the software recall, which failed and rendered the car unusable. It's still in the shop 16 days later with no estimate for release. Apparently mine is one of two X5s there with the same issue.

If I could rewind I would certainly not have brought it in.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
Psycho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ex-'12 X6M, waiting on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Took my (perfectly drivable) X5 in for minor items and they performed the software recall, which failed and rendered the car unusable. It's still in the shop 16 days later with no estimate for release. Apparently mine is one of two X5s there with the same issue.

Two more weeks and you get a new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:32 PM   #5
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post

Two more weeks and you get a new car.
??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #6
Xfive
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I've had a really good experience with my dealer and SA. He's probably one of the main reasons I purchased my second X5 from them. I'm gonna go knock on some wood and hope i don't have to experience what's happened to you. I wish you guys best of luck and hope you get everything sorted quickly.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam268.00
      02-07-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
??
Lemon Law. 30 days in the shop and BMW has to buy it back or replace it. At least that is how it works in California...I believe each state has their own law regarding it, but they are fairly similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:47 AM   #8
mbarrett635
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhammer View Post
Relative to some out here, my week 40 build has been relatively problem free. My plan was to wait to bring it in for service until after the rumored upcoming major software/firmware update is released... and after posts advise that the update went smoothly and that it successfully addressed the myriad issues people have reported.

Well, that was until my check engine light came on and has stayed on for three days now. I'm compelled to bring it in now, but I don't want any updates installed since the recent ones seemed to have introduced as many issues as they have fixed.

Talked to my SA, who told me there IS in fact a campaign (recall) on my vehicle, requiring a software update. Don't at this point have any details regarding what it's intended to fix, but SA said it is my option to not have it installed, i.e. I could stick with my plan to go in later for the major release whenever that happens.

Open to suggestions/recommendations. Anyone else have the check engine light come on? What was the issue? How was it addressed?
First -- is your gas cap loose? That will set a check engine light. Worth checking.

Second -- I had my dealer install a software update (from .40 to .49), it took less than two hours, and that included the free car wash. Not everything goes bad (sorry to those who haven't been as lucky).
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep

Check Engine Light, OBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
First -- is your gas cap loose? That will set a check engine light. Worth checking.
Yep. Thanks. Gas cap was first thing I checked, having had that be the cause of the check engine light coming on on other vehicles (Ford, Toyota). It seemed solidly in place when I checked.

Might be time to invest in an OBD II reader, as it would be needed to read (and reset) the codes. Seems like lots of options. Any recommendations?
      02-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Quote:
??
Lemon Law. 30 days in the shop and BMW has to buy it back or replace it. At least that is how it works in California...I believe each state has their own law regarding it, but they are fairly similar.
Really? Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Quote:
??
Really? Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
Really? Good to know!
There's more to it than that, states have different stipulations too.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #13
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Front grill shutters not opening or closing can cause check engine light. Had them replaced on my X3. Seen on here an X5 has had them replaced already.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
maze446
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarrett635 View Post
Yep. Thanks. Gas cap was first thing I checked, having had that be the cause of the check engine light coming on on other vehicles (Ford, Toyota). It seemed solidly in place when I checked.

Might be time to invest in an OBD II reader, as it would be needed to read (and reset) the codes. Seems like lots of options. Any recommendations?
Same thing happened to me. Check engine light came on. Took it in, they updated the software and no issues since then. It took about 2 hours the day before Christmas.

For OBD II reader I have the Veepeak and UniCarScan. I like them both.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Quote:

Texas Lemon Laws have 3 different tests. For the 30 day test option the repair needed has to "substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle" and "no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period".

My Lane Departure warning system is triggering every time I get in the car because the KAFAS camera is malfunctioning and it has to be replaced. It has to come from Germany and will take weeks. The dealer originally said I should keep the loaner but quickly said for me to take it hope and wait for the camera to arrive. I think the Lane Departure failure is a serious safety issue which impairs the value of the vehicle so I'm escalating at BMW to get the camera sooner.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep

Declining the Software Campaign

Quote:

SA's response to my enquiry regarding what the open campaign addresses:

"BMW does not tell us what exactly the open campaign will fix. Since the open campaign is to update vehicle computer software, it is usually done to prevent future computer related concerns with your vehicle."

I plan to have them address the check engine light problem, but I will decline any software updates at this time. Not anticipating any resolutions at this time, but so that BMW is made aware, I also reported:

- inoperative cornering lights
- twitchy steering in cold weather
      02-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep

Cornering Lights, Twitchy Steering Fix Coming; Radiator Flaps Fault

Quote:
SA's response to my enquiry regarding what the open campaign addresses:

"BMW does not tell us what exactly the open campaign will fix. Since the open campaign is to update vehicle computer software, it is usually done to prevent future computer related concerns with your vehicle."

I plan to have them address the check engine light problem, but I will decline any software updates at this time. Not anticipating any resolutions at this time, but so that BMW is made aware, I also reported:

- inoperative cornering lights
- twitchy steering in cold weather
Just spoke with SA:

- "Check Engine Light" came on due to one-time fault of driver-side radiator flaps not opening. (Same cause was reported by another poster.) When I hand-washed the car, I noticed driver-side kidney was not snapped tightly in place. This was related to the problem with the flaps. Tech snapped grille back into place and cleared the code.

- Cornering Lights No-Op: SA told by BMW this is a known issue and will be addressed in a forthcoming SW update. No ETA.

- Cold-weather twitchy steering: SA told by BMW this is a known issue and will be addressed in a forthcoming SW update. No ETA.

I elected in the end to NOT update from .23 SW version, instead choosing to wait for the promised major release.

Finally, SA said not all of their technicians are able (as in, some kind of training/certification is required) to work on G05s. In my case, the shop foreman worked on mine.

Unless I report back otherwise, assume I remained very pleased with my service visit.
denniss391.50
goenkar17.50