BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #45
sk03
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x50e, Volvo C40

My x50e has less than 1000 miles. On the second road trip couple of days ago, the windshield caught a flying tiny rock. I thought a spider web will show up. All cars I have ever owned had always wore this badge of honor . While still driving, I noticed a crack appearing on the windshield. By the time I reached home - my jaws dropped. This much of damage with a tiny rock, its unbelievable !
Called my insurance Erie and they said OEM glass is covered if you pay full deductible which is 1000 bucks for me. I took online quote with Safelite and they are quoting in vicinity of 1000 bucks, probably for non-OEM. I've taken an appt. with my dealer and will have them install a new one. In the meantime I will shop for riders on the glass fix with my insurance. For a car built like a tank, its highly disappointing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk03 View Post
My x50e has less than 1000 miles. On the second road trip couple of days ago, the windshield caught a flying tiny rock. I thought a spider web will show up. All cars I have ever owned had always wore this badge of honor . While still driving, I noticed a crack appearing on the windshield. By the time I reached home - my jaws dropped. This much of damage with a tiny rock, its unbelievable !
It happens to the best of us, I had three windshields on a former X3. All were replaced with OEM glass and all costs around $1,300, this was probably five years ago. I have comp and window coverage so my out of pocket each time was $0. look into that.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #47
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Called my insurance Erie and they said OEM glass is covered if you pay full deductible which is 1000 bucks for me. I took online quote with Safelite and they are quoting in vicinity of 1000 bucks, probably for non-OEM. I've taken an appt. with my dealer and will have them install a new one. In the meantime I will shop for riders on the glass fix with my insurance. For a car built like a tank, its highly disappointing.
I agree. The windshield seems to be of softer material. Within a year of ownership of my 2022 G06 I have atleast 3 scratches across the windshield on the path of the wiper movement. Very light scratches only visible in bright sunlight. In comparison the windshield on my 11 year old Nissan Murano is in perfect condition.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #48
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Make sure that glass replacement quote includes any necessary ADAS recalibration, which can be $$$. My windshield replacement on a newer Audi was nearly $2500, almost half of which was dealer ADAS calibration.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:17 PM   #49
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Opening this up for debate....since this is the most recent WS thread.
Even through if one has a 0 deductible WS rider, etc - and let's say one uses windshield coverage against the rider....

Will the insurance company surcharge you but not -line item- a surcharge on your policy. Like whether adding another vehicle to the account, it's a higher rate ,etc.....

I've switched providers throughout the years and interesting enough, when I go back to a previous provider, a few years later, the rate is better..and while no collision/com claims, maybe a single WS claim during that time with the provider.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #50
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It shouldn't affect your rates since it is under comprehensive and not collision. That said, they can always find other reasons to raise the rates. I had to get a new windshield about 6 months after getting my X5. The next renewal period my rate went up over $600 a year. I called and asked why and they said because my credit score went down. Granted insurance uses a different version of the credit score but I always track mine and my wife's for a friendly competition. I looked back and it did go down from 843 to 840. Switched to another carrier and the rate was lower than what my original one was before the increase.

It doesn't pay to try and figure out the effects of an incident. Best to use it when you can and shop your policies around every couple of years since insurance companies rarely reward loyalty.
realdah57.00
      08-16-2023, 10:11 PM   #51
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It shouldn't affect your rates since it is under comprehensive and not collision. That said, they can always find other reasons to raise the rates. I had to get a new windshield about 6 months after getting my X5. The next renewal period my rate went up over $600 a year. I called and asked why and they said because my credit score went down. Granted insurance uses a different version of the credit score but I always track mine and my wife's for a friendly competition. I looked back and it did go down from 843 to 840. Switched to another carrier and the rate was lower than what my original one was before the increase.

It doesn't pay to try and figure out the effects of an incident. Best to use it when you can and shop your policies around every couple of years since insurance companies rarely reward loyalty.
I even had my current insurance company rewrite my policies for the same car and house and the rate went down. Its quite a racket
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:37 PM   #52
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The next renewal period my rate went up over $600 a year. I called and asked why and they said because my credit score went down. Granted insurance uses a different version of the credit score but I always track mine and my wife's for a friendly competition. I looked back and it did go down from 843 to 840.
Looks like you are in real trouble 😂

$200 per point.
Appreciate 0