Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
What I have observed is that sometimes just before getting out of the car it switches to hybrid. I will see if in this condition it also starts in hybrid.

At the end both issues don't bother me enough to do any hardware modifications without garante the issue is solved.

I will use it as an excuse everything time I feel I need a software update. I don't think I will be going for 03/2021.

I still have to go back for the charger flap replacement.
So is this when you've already pressed the stop button? These are minor issues, I agree. But I do want them to get fixed under warranty. I had to go through all the hardware hoops, before BMW will look into the software. Now we've finally have done that part, so hopefully it will get the right attention. 03/2021 doesn't bring any new features indeed, so I'll wait for 07/2021 and see what it brings. Unless I get the request to come in for a earlier software upgrade to fix the steering wheel/driver profile issue.
Yes after pushing the stop button and before opening the door.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 04:45 AM   #112
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What I have observed is that sometimes just before getting out of the car it switches to hybrid. I will see if in this condition it also starts in hybrid.

At the end both issues don't bother me enough to do any hardware modifications without garante the issue is solved.

I will use it as an excuse everything time I feel I need a software update. I don't think I will be going for 03/2021.

I still have to go back for the charger flap replacement.
So is this when you've already pressed the stop button? These are minor issues, I agree. But I do want them to get fixed under warranty. I had to go through all the hardware hoops, before BMW will look into the software. Now we've finally have done that part, so hopefully it will get the right attention. 03/2021 doesn't bring any new features indeed, so I'll wait for 07/2021 and see what it brings. Unless I get the request to come in for a earlier software upgrade to fix the steering wheel/driver profile issue.
Yes after pushing the stop button and before opening the door.
Ah, I've never seen that, will keep my eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #113
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

I've escalated the issues to the central BMW organization in my country. I've been dealing with it for a year now, and with swapping hardware and updating software hoping for a miracle, we'll be in the exact same spot next year. My dealer has been very helpful and willing so far, but from day one I've said this is a software issue. If nobody is looking in that area after a year I think I've showed enough patience to step up to the next level. Expecting to hear more about it this week.

Main issues are the switch to hybrid and steering wheel that does not extend. Both random issue's.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #114
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

A steeringwheel module has been replaced. Also the car has been updated to 03/2021.46. Don't expect this to be "the" fix, but when it's not I can step up the pressure at BMW NL. Will update the thread when I have news on this issue.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      05-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #115
njapilot1
Private
Rep

Quote:
A steeringwheel module has been replaced. Also the car has been updated to 03/2021.46. Don't expect this to be "the" fix, but when it's not I can step up the pressure at BMW NL. Will update the thread when I have news on this issue.
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I've been having the same problem, but I've been waiting to see what the actual fix is before heading to the dealer. Thanks for doing all of the leg work on this.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #116
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i haven't had an incident in a few months, but today I noticed something very odd and was pretty lucky to catch it. i have Electric Individual mode enabled by default at startup with the suspension set to Sport level. after I parked my car, I pressed the Stop engine button and observed the mode switch to Hybrid and the suspension moved up to Normal level (which is default for Hybrid). WTH?!

why does it do this?!

EDIT: it did start up in EI immediately after, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:50 AM   #117
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i haven't had an incident in a few months, but today I noticed something very odd and was pretty lucky to catch it. i have Electric Individual mode enabled by default at startup with the suspension set to Sport level. after I parked my car, I pressed the Stop engine button and observed the mode switch to Hybrid and the suspension moved up to Normal level (which is default for Hybrid). WTH?!

why does it do this?!
I have observed exactly the same a couple of times.

It did start up in my default electric individual however.

Haven't found a pattern.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:47 PM   #118
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
As suspected, this was not the fix. Both issue's already occurred again. Escalated this to BMW.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      05-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #119
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
mine started in Hybrid again this evening. the only possible factor is that my wife has been driving it the past week because of the gasoline shortage. her driver profile originally started the car in Hybrid mode, but I changed that to EI as soon as the shortage hit, so that shouldn't be the cause.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #120
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

My car is at the dealer now and they attached a datalogger (via OBD) to it. They will try to reproduce the issue and send the debug logs to BMW Germany. I got a loaner (MY 2021 X5 45e) and it already started up in hybrid once (default setting is on Electric Individual). If the steering wheel issue also occurs on this car, I will suggest the dealer to do the debugging on the loaner so I can get my car back. They estimated they need 1 to 2 weeks to catch both issue's.

I have the feeling the MY2021 is a bit faster on full electric mode compared to my own car (MY 2020). Anyone else had these models to compare? Also when switching to petrol, at first, the revs are limited. I don't think that my own car does that, or I didn't notice before.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #121
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My car is at the dealer now and they attached a datalogger (via OBD) to it. They will try to reproduce the issue and send the debug logs to BMW Germany. I got a loaner (MY 2021 X5 45e) and it already started up in hybrid once (default setting is on Electric Individual). If the steering wheel issue also occurs on this car, I will suggest the dealer to do the debugging on the loaner so I can get my car back. They estimated they need 1 to 2 weeks to catch both issue's.

I have the feeling the MY2021 is a bit faster on full electric mode compared to my own car (MY 2020). Anyone else had these models to compare? Also when switching to petrol, at first, the revs are limited. I don't think that my own car does that, or I didn't notice before.
I can't compare 2019 and 2021. However I had the feeling that the acceleration was a bit faster after update to 07/2020.

I have seen the rev limiter on mine when driving with ICE.

You now probably also have a low temperature signal in the dash? Maybe if that disappears the revs can go up?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #122
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I can't compare 2019 and 2021. However I had the feeling that the acceleration was a bit faster after update to 07/2020.

You now probably also have a low temperature signal in the dash? Maybe if that disappears the revs can go up?
Yes the blue temp indicator is also new! The rev limiter was maybe already present in my own car, but not visible in the dashboard as with the MY2021. My own car was already on 03/2021, but doesn't feel as fast as the MY2021.

Once this software issue is fixed and you all get the solution by OTA, I'll drop my Bitcoin wallet address here. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 01:18 PM   #123
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes the blue temp indicator is also new! The rev limiter was maybe already present in my own car, but not visible in the dashboard as with the MY2021. My own car was already on 03/2021, but doesn't feel as fast as the MY2021.

Once this software issue is fixed and you all get the solution by OTA, I'll drop my Bitcoin wallet address here. ;-)
Once this software issue is fixed and you all get the solution by OTA, I'll drop my Bitcoin wallet address here. ;-)[/QUOTE]

👍
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2021, 06:07 AM   #124
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

why does it do this?!

I see the same behavior on the current loaner. My own car does not do this. I see it switching from Electric Individual to Hybrid briefly when I open the door.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #125
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

why does it do this?!

I see the same behavior on the current loaner. My own car does not do this. I see it switching from Electric Individual to Hybrid briefly when I open the door.
Mine also does that. It also switches the hybrid when switching off. Usually it is back to electric when starting again.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #126
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks to install the data logger. The device is tapped into the canbus and will log anything that passes. When I got my car back, comfort access (open/close car via door handle) is no longer working (disabled by dealer?). Since I got it back, I haven't had the issue of the steering wheel or incorrect hybrid startup. Now I'm wondering if these are related. In the past I used a mix of keyfob and keyless entry (not the automatic one when you approach/walk away). I never payed attention if it is related to using the keyfob vs doorhandle/keyless entry. For the people that have this issue, can you check if the issues (steering wheel not extending to memory preset and/or the car starting op in hybrid instead of electric individual) occur when you only use the keyfob (for unlocking) and not the keyless system?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      07-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #127
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks to install the data logger. The device is tapped into the canbus and will log anything that passes. When I got my car back, comfort access (open/close car via door handle) is no longer working (disabled by dealer?). Since I got it back, I haven't had the issue of the steering wheel or incorrect hybrid startup. Now I'm wondering if these are related. In the past I used a mix of keyfob and keyless entry (not the automatic one when you approach/walk away). I never payed attention if it is related to using the keyfob vs doorhandle/keyless entry. For the people that have this issue, can you check if the issues (steering wheel not extending to memory preset and/or the car starting op in hybrid instead of electric individual) occur when you only use the keyfob (for unlocking) and not the keyless system?
I have never used the keyfob to open the door only the comfort acces by putting my hand on the handle. The key is always in my pocket. I have the automatic locking and in locking function off. Didn't like it when my car opened / locked when I didn't want it to and for opening I have to touch the handle anyway.

I don't have the steering wheel probleem.

Switching to hybrid is very often the last week.

I have the impression it occurs more when I drive electric only a long time.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #128
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have never used the keyfob to open the door only the comfort acces by putting my hand on the handle. The key is always in my pocket. I have the automatic locking and in locking function off. Didn't like it when my car opened / locked when I didn't want it to and for opening I have to touch the handle anyway.

Ok, so could you check if the issue is still there when only using keyfob to unlock the car? Since it's a random issue, it might take a couple of days to find out if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #129
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, so could you check if the issue is still there when only using keyfob to unlock the car? Since it's a random issue, it might take a couple of days to find out if it makes a difference.
Ok that shouldn't be a problem. I will do that the next days. It starts up in hybrid really often now so I should see the difference if there is any.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #130
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I find this thread very informative, I have a MY2022 45e on the way and will share my experience. Car should be here in August, not sure exactly when though.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
      07-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #131
Tommy11220
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e (2021)

I have the same issue, no discernible pattern. In the menu, Electric Individual indeed is still checked as the default mode. So far, I can rule out the following culprits: outside temperature too low (summer time in Europe), low charge (car is mostly fully charged in the morning, no lower than 50% otherwise), manual selection of different drive mode during previous drive (I barely ever switch away from EI in the city),software (happened before / after latest OTA update a month ago. Build date is 01/21.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 09:59 PM   #132
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy11220 View Post
I have the same issue, no discernible pattern. In the menu, Electric Individual indeed is still checked as the default mode. So far, I can rule out the following culprits: outside temperature too low (summer time in Europe), low charge (car is mostly fully charged in the morning, no lower than 50% otherwise), manual selection of different drive mode during previous drive (I barely ever switch away from EI in the city),software (happened before / after latest OTA update a month ago. Build date is 01/21.
I have the impression that it happens more often when I have been driving Electric individual for a longer time. Not sure.

I still think it might be the car wanting to switch on the ICE now and then.
Appreciate 1