BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Boat forum?

Anyone know of a good boat forum? I have an older boat and always have questions…

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Paging erickonphoenix
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

What type of boat?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Yes, depends on the boat.

Sail?
Power?
Yacht?
Large/not yacht?
Small?
Fish?
Ski?

forums.iboats.com
marineengine.com
thehulltruth.com
boats.net

Too many to list. What is your question? I have been boating for 50 years.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      06-27-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

sea ray - 18 ft bow rider - i just have lots of different questions from time to time… i'll checkout those forums - thank you

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Here's a tip as I just had this happen to me over the weekend. If you do get a boat, sign up for a tow membership. My insurance is State Farm but they only cover up to $1000 for tow fees which I think is the annual limit. Plus you have to pay upfront and have them reimburse you.

Well, I needed a tow and the tow company charges $300/hr which the clock starts the moment the boat leaves their dock. They also charge for the time it takes for the boat to return to their dock. Had I signed up for their annual subscription service, I would have only had to pay $129 which covers unlimited tows. One of the guys at my marina mentioned a friend of his needing a tow recently, his friend's tow bill was around $2k.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Here's a tip as I just had this happen to me over the weekend. If you do get a boat, sign up for a tow membership. My insurance is State Farm but they only cover up to $1000 for tow fees which I think is the annual limit. Plus you have to pay upfront and have them reimburse you.

Well, I needed a tow and the tow company charges $300/hr which the clock starts the moment the boat leaves their dock. They also charge for the time it takes for the boat to return to their dock. Had I signed up for their annual subscription service, I would have only had to pay $129 which covers unlimited tows. One of the guys at my marina mentioned a friend of his needing a tow recently, his friend's tow bill was around $2k.

100000000%%% agree with that. I cancelled mine the year before and then I got stuck out in the ocean with a fuel pump issue... cost me $1800... I had it for 10 years and never needed it. The year after I cancelled it, I needed it...

GET IT..!!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

https://www.7post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=465
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      06-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Paging erickonphoenix
My boat life slightly predates the online forum craze. My resources were mostly Crusing World, Sail and Diesel tech magazine.

That said, boat forums will be as diverse as boats and how they're used.

Sail boats - racing, cruising
Power boats - racing, cruising, fishing (offshore/onshore)
Commercial boats - fishing, shrimping, lobster, crabbers
Non-powered boats - paddle boats, dinghy, kayak and paddle boards

There's probably a category or twenty I'm missing but that's the big buckets I think. As a sail boat owner I'll give you a heads up that the diesel vs gasser debate will probably be as tinder as the manual vs auto debate.
      06-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I wouldn't mind having a wake boat and/or deck boat for partying, catamaran for sailing.

But damn if boats aren't an even more expensive hobby than cars...
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
chassis6554.00
      06-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #11
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I wouldn't mind having a wake boat and/or deck boat for partying, catamaran for sailing.

But damn if boats aren't an even more expensive hobby than cars...
Indeed.

Q. What is a boat?
A. A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

Q. What does B.O.A.T. stand for?
A. Break Out Another Thousand
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615280.00
      06-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #12
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

There are a lot of groups on FB. Do a search for your boat and I'm sure you'll find one that is local to you. I just got a Regal 2860 and there is a ton of helpful groups that I joined.
      06-30-2021, 12:43 AM   #13
Skoidat69
Secret Squirrel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328ix E91

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
The old sailor adage that if it's Floats, Flies or Fks.. rent don't buy.... As former professional marine, be prepared for anything and have a plan if the plan goes to sh!t and have life jackets, a good flash light/tool kit/knife and a radio that can monitor several radio chanels .. I'm not as curmudgeonly as I used to be but if you imped the safe transit of a ship in your sailboat or sport fisher, I hope you at least have channel 13 and 16 on your radio... Old me would have said I hope you F-ing sink unless your 'ol lady has nice "equipment" that she wants to show off..
      06-30-2021, 07:32 AM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoidat69 View Post
The old sailor adage that if it's Floats, Flies or Fks.. rent don't buy....
...says the person who has never returned to his dock on Lake George from an early morning fishing run to find a broken-down rental boat tied up, and a stranded family wandering around his island camping site. Had to give the guy a 10-mile ride back to the marina where he rented that boat (pre-cell phone days), and then lead the marina's mechanic back in another boat to collect the family and broken rental boat.

One year, we needed an extra boat for a few days while camping on the islands. I rented a boat that the marina seriously called "the red wreck," because it had been banged up so many times by inexperienced renters that it looked like it had lost in a bumper-boat demolition derby. Seriously, the fiberglass deck in front of the windshield had started to de-laminate from the hull, and flapped up and down on every wave that I hit with it. When I brought it back, the dock hand commented that I was the first renter that didn't break it even worse while I had it. I have no idea how they could even spot new damage, other than looking at the new propeller and seeing that the red nail polish they put on the edge of the blades was still intact.

Anyway, just pointing out two examples where I would rather own my own boat and know the maintenance history rather than trust a rental.....
      06-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #15
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I have a wealthy friend who took me to hang out at a Ferrari dealer in NJ once Saturday.

Guy rolls in in his Murcielago needing a clutch and knew my friend. Begins to tell a story how he was super ecstatic he sold his Yacht. He continued on to say how upset he was to sell his Yacht. With a confused look, I asked him why? I am confused you said you're happy but now you say you're sad.
Well, you see I am happy b/c I only lost $300k on the Yacht...but I'm sad b/c I really liked my captain and I can't pay someone $200k a year just to hang out with me.

(Come to find out, guy inherited a chain of grocery stores in Manhattan and had boo-koo bucks)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #16
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I have a wealthy friend who took me to hang out at a Ferrari dealer in NJ once Saturday.

Guy rolls in in his Murcielago needing a clutch and knew my friend. Begins to tell a story how he was super ecstatic he sold his Yacht. He continued on to say how upset he was to sell his Yacht. With a confused look, I asked him why? I am confused you said you're happy but now you say you're sad.
Well, you see I am happy b/c I only lost $300k on the Yacht...but I'm sad b/c I really liked my captain and I can't pay someone $200k a year just to hang out with me.

(Come to find out, guy inherited a chain of grocery stores in Manhattan and had boo-koo bucks)
that's great

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:52 AM   #17
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Boat has been performing great, once I learned it's unique quirks it's been smooth sailing. Took my 2 sisters and their 4 kids and 1 of mine out yesterday afternoon and they had a blast. For me, spending quality time with family on the boat is what it's all about. Having my wife pull me on the wakeboard is fun too. Last week I took out my wifes sister and husband and our two boys. I caught a decent size bass after about 15 mins of dropping anchor, it was a fun moment .

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4490.50