BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2023, 06:41 AM   #23
Tylast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2023)

I keep a windshield repair kit in both my vehicles. They only cost $15. If I get hit by a rock & can find the impact, I fix it immediately to prevent it from spreading. It also "mostly" hides the blemish.

Twice in the past, I've had rock hits in entrance/exit lanes at less than 35 mph - it's not always from tailgating on the hwy. Once I was 2 cars back from a dump truck. Damn rock came at me at a crazy angle past the car in front of me - direct hit on the driver side at eye level. Ughhhhh.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:18 AM   #24
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylast View Post
I keep a windshield repair kit in both my vehicles. They only cost $15. If I get hit by a rock & can find the impact, I fix it immediately to prevent it from spreading. It also "mostly" hides the blemish.

Twice in the past, I've had rock hits in entrance/exit lanes at less than 35 mph - it's not always from tailgating on the hwy. Once I was 2 cars back from a dump truck. Damn rock came at me at a crazy angle past the car in front of me - direct hit on the driver side at eye level. Ughhhhh.
That’s smart. I didn’t know those things actually work . I’ll have to pick one up. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #25
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Be sure the windshield is OEM if you have HUD. I just recently purchased a used 2019 X5 40i and during the test drive I noticed the HUD on this vehicle was strange, like it was out of focus compared to the other cars I test drove. It literally gave me vertigo. I talked to the SA and they checked it out and agreed. The figured someone had replaced the windshield with off brand and it caused the problem with the HUD display on the windshield. They had to take the windshield out and replace it with OEM to clear up the HUD issue. Looks fine now.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:25 AM   #26
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
Be sure the windshield is OEM if you have HUD. I just recently purchased a used 2019 X5 40i and during the test drive I noticed the HUD on this vehicle was strange, like it was out of focus compared to the other cars I test drove. It literally gave me vertigo. I talked to the SA and they checked it out and agreed. The figured someone had replaced the windshield with off brand and it caused the problem with the HUD display on the windshield. They had to take the windshield out and replace it with OEM to clear up the HUD issue. Looks fine now.
I did the work at bmw so it better be!

Oddly enough, I get vertigo from HUD even when it’s clear. Just the spacial disorientation of looking close and far while moving gets to me very easily. So my HUD is always off.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #27
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Not all non-OEM windshields are created equal. You have to find a good auto glass dealer and a cooperative insurance company. My last one cost me $100 out of pocket and I can't tell any difference other than the brand stamped on the corner.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:56 AM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Same thing happened to me on my M340i, I got a non-OEM windshield and even though it was rated for HUD there was a blurriness to it. Thankfully once I has the tint put on it sharpened things up. From now on only OEM and likely just at the dealer.
      02-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #29
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

I got the same problem. It was replaced under warranty. My dealer said to me that is not the first time they replace the same crack of the windshield on X5. BMW have some problem with the X5s windshield.
Attached Images

02-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

just happpened to me yesterday...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #31
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

okay so, I called my insurance company, they said 'oh no problem, you have glass coverage, please call this number, they handle glass issues and they will set you up'. So I called them, today they got back to me saying that only aftermarket glass is available, not OEM. If I want OEM I have to pay $1500.

They did say that they will guarantee calibration on the aftermarket glass and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. the glass company I spoke with said my insurance company, Main Street America, outsources their glass work to safelite.

So what is my next step here to get my insurance to approve OEM glass? Should I call my local BMW dealer for them to try or call the insurance company and say what exactly to get this done? I have never filed a claim on my insurance and my driving record is clean.

Thanks folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #32
songoku
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
okay so, I called my insurance company, they said 'oh no problem, you have glass coverage, please call this number, they handle glass issues and they will set you up'. So I called them, today they got back to me saying that only aftermarket glass is available, not OEM. If I want OEM I have to pay $1500.

They did say that they will guarantee calibration on the aftermarket glass and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. the glass company I spoke with said my insurance company, Main Street America, outsources their glass work to safelite.

So what is my next step here to get my insurance to approve OEM glass? Should I call my local BMW dealer for them to try or call the insurance company and say what exactly to get this done? I have never filed a claim on my insurance and my driving record is clean.

Thanks folks.

Do you have HUD? If you do, Aftermarket windshield won't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by songoku View Post
They have aftermarket windshields rated for HUD. Whether they work as well is up for debate. I got a Plinkinton on my M340i and the image was not crisp even though it is HUD compliant. Thankfully after I got my tint on it made it much better.

From now on I’m going OEM from the dealer even if I have to pay extra.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #34
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by songoku View Post
yeah initially asked me if I had a HUD and said that the aftermarket glass is 'rated' for HUD and the cameras and all of that. My question is, if I get the aftermarket glass and the image is blurry, will they then replace it with OEM glass or just tell me to go pound sand?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:08 PM   #35
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

update: My insurance company initially insisted that I first try the aftermarket glass that safelite was offering. If it didnt work, then they said they'd 'upgrade' me to the OEM glass. I reluctantly agreed but after I got to safelite, they told me they ordered the wrong glass and I'd have to wait an unspecified time to get the replacement.

Suffice it to say, I was very upset about how safelite does business and let my insurance company know. Only then did they agree to reimburse me for the OEM glass installed by a company that the local BMW dealer uses for glass repairs. That company came out today and replaced the glass with the OEM glass in about an hour. They were very professional and its perfect so far.

If anyone is following this thread and consider getting glass insurance whenever you buy your next bmw. Replacing the glass out of pocket is very expensive.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2023, 07:43 PM   #36
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Safelite replaced my windshield with an OEM acoustic, HUD windshield. No issues. My insurance, Erie, paid all but $150.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:45 PM   #37
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
update: My insurance company initially insisted that I first try the aftermarket glass that safelite was offering. If it didnt work, then they said they'd 'upgrade' me to the OEM glass. I reluctantly agreed but after I got to safelite, they told me they ordered the wrong glass and I'd have to wait an unspecified time to get the replacement.

Suffice it to say, I was very upset about how safelite does business and let my insurance company know. Only then did they agree to reimburse me for the OEM glass installed by a company that the local BMW dealer uses for glass repairs. That company came out today and replaced the glass with the OEM glass in about an hour. They were very professional and its perfect so far.

If anyone is following this thread and consider getting glass insurance whenever you buy your next bmw. Replacing the glass out of pocket is very expensive.
Safelite did OK by me on my 2019 Grand Cherokee, and Progressive didn't put up much of a fight when I insisted they would be using OEM glass regardless of what else was available.

But for all I know, it's a state-by-state thing when it comes to what insurance companies can pull.
      04-14-2023, 08:03 PM   #38
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
Safelite did OK by me on my 2019 Grand Cherokee, and Progressive didn't put up much of a fight when I insisted they would be using OEM glass regardless of what else was available.

But for all I know, it's a state-by-state thing when it comes to what insurance companies can pull.
State Farm didn’t ask a single question about me going to bmw for mine. They just said send them the bill and a week later I got the reimbursement check in full.

I find their auto insurance pricing very competitive, they were cheaper than geico by a considerable amount - might be worth checking them out. I do Home and life insurance with them as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 08:05 PM   #39
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967

Well it was my fault to begin with. I didnt know any better. When it happened, I called my insurance asking what to do. They told me 'oh you have glass coverage, great! just call this number, and they are our glass people and they will handle the rest'. so I called them, which turned out to be some third party middle man that wanted to install the glass but they source the glass themselves and need approval from insurance. That girl called me back saying my insurance would only approve me for non oem glass and then she somehow involved safelite, and the whole thing took much longer than it needed to.

Had I just talked to the glass company that I went with, my insurance company would have covered the oem claim. In any case, its done now.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #40
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
yeah initially asked me if I had a HUD and said that the aftermarket glass is 'rated' for HUD and the cameras and all of that. My question is, if I get the aftermarket glass and the image is blurry, will they then replace it with OEM glass or just tell me to go pound sand?
I got mine replaced yesterday (2019 X5) with zero deductible in Florida. Safelite said $1200 if I want OEM as Progressive (my insurance carrier) would not authorize an OEM. I went with the non-OEM- A Pilkington (photo attached) and I have HUD and 3 camera KAFAS and there is ZERO difference between this one and the original as far as HUD goes. I spoke to the Safelite tech who said Pilkington used to have a problem with blurry HUD but none of the newer Pilkington batches have an issue. YMMV.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
slilley45.50
      04-19-2023, 06:07 PM   #41
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

glad it worked out for you
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:58 AM   #42
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
glad it worked out for you
Yep, I am very happy with it. The original OEM glass on my 2019 X5 is a Fuyao (Chinese company but made in USA) and was one of the worst I've seen on any car for pitting, cracking etc.

BTW, Pilkington is an OEM supplier to lots of brands so not sure why people get hung up about OEM vs non-OEM. Here is a link to Pilkington web site where they say they are an OEM supplier:

"In the case of glass, an OEM supplier such as Pilkington, sells glass direct to vehicle manufacturers such as General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Honda, Toyota, and many others."

https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/aut...commerce/faqs#
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 12:10 PM   #43
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

>he questioned if BMW drivers tend to follow too closely to the vehicles in front them making them more suspectable to chips and windshield strikes, he might have a good point.<

We know that for a fact lol! I am always in the fast line hugging the line so the driver in front can see me on his door rear view mirror. Think I need a radar detector too, the X5 just want's to go go go.......
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2023, 03:36 AM   #44
Jul908d
Registered
Rep
Drives: civix Turbo 2023

DIY repair kits are not designed to be a permanent fix. UTV Windshield damage that is fixed using a DIY repair kit will eventually need to be replaced or repaired. Moreover, by using DIY solutions, you run the risk of the chip or crack expanding. This can easily cause your windshield to shatter while you are driving.
Appreciate 0