BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2024, 01:46 PM   #23
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

According to the UK website, the 50e weighs 2495kg and the 60e 2435kg… less than the weight of a typical adult difference. If equipped with similar suspensions, there is not a big difference at least because of weight. On the 50e, the weight is lower, and distributed F/R, whereas with the 60e, there’s lots more up front. With the supplied exhaust systems, the sound from the 60e may please more people, but that’s totally subjective.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:15 PM   #24
letsgopony
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I understand the excitement of not paying for gas as much as before, but if you actually calculate the total savings, it isn't all that much. Yes it's noticeable that you don't frequent the gas stations (back in the day I filled up my Prime every 2.5k miles and it was like $30 of gas), but in totals 20k miles in Tesla saved me less than $2k in gas in a year. Add steeper depreciation, (potentially) higher insurance, and it's almost a wash - again, unless you maximize the incentives, lease, charge for cheap/free, hypermile, etc. etc. At least Tesla is fun to drive, and in terms of convenience it's miles ahead of everyone.

Just like with diesels - torque, 30+ mpg... but when you add everything, it stopped making sense once BMW introduced turbo gazzers.

Before 'haters gonna hate' - we have Wrangler 4xe in our family fleet and love it.
Agree. To make up for the extra price of a hybrid, people need to own it longer and drive it longer. That’s not even counting the repairs that may be more expensive due to the complex hybrid system.

I'm also on the fence of hybrid vs. gas. One advantage of the 50e that I can't ignore in any case is that it drives so silky smooth. Not sure if it's the hybrid system or the air sus or both but damn! Not Lexus/Toyota kind of smooth (no offense) but smooth and powerful at the same time, like a beast hiding in shadow and can burst out all the energy whenever needed.

Being a mustang owner for 7 years the smooth drive attracts me the most. Absolute love the deep growl of my pony but now it sounds a bit nosiy to me. Guess it's the "Tell me you’re old without telling me you’re old" time.

But if I decided to own a 50e for 10+ years, it will likely break my wallet with higher repair cost. No one knows how these hybrids will hold up. Tough decision!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:20 AM   #25
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

When you remove the vowels from the word HOPE, you are left with HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfan36 View Post
So there is hope 😀
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:21 PM   #26
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

All BMWs tend to be expensive for maintenance if you keep it for a long time after warranty expires, but my limited experience is that being electrified has not added to those expenses. While it’s possible for a catastrophic failure in the PHEV system, and batteries do degrade as they age and get through more and more charge/discharge cycles, until one or more actually fails, you can still just keep driving it and the only thing that changes is your maximum range. If you live in a CARB state, you have even a longer battery warranty than the rest of the USA, and more than most other parts of the world because of the way they manage the capacity. Most people will want newer tech by the 8-10 years of the warranty life, so it really shouldn’t be a major detriment. By the time it’s that old, regardless of the type, it will have depreciated quite a bit to a fairly low, but stable value. On my i3 that I kept for 6-years before the X5, it retained almost all of its original battery capacity, and the only non-warranty issue I had was related to a valve in the cooling system. It’s too early to tell about the 50e’s long-term reliability…you cannot equate warranty issues on a new vehicle with long-term issues, as those issues tend to get resolved…nobody wants repeated issues; neither the customer nor the manufacturer. BMW tends to use those repairs to figure out what went wrong, and fix it, either with s/w changes, or hardware updates so a newer one, even if it is repaired, tends to be more reliable over time.
Appreciate 0