BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
bingohandjob
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Front Wipers Stuck

My X5 is two weeks new. When the wipers have been on and in Auto Rain Sensor Mode, I noticed that they would sometimes pause very briefly on the left side, a little too long, before returning to the rest position. I thought nothing of it.

However, yesterday the wipers stopped completely in the vertical position (the same position as 'Snow/Service' mode). They would not move regardless of all the different wiper controls I tried. After parking and re-starting the car, they still would not move. So about 10 minutes I re-started again and the wipers worked fine.

The dealer suggested that the wipers had somehow thought they were in 'Snow/Park' mode and asked me to deliberately set them in that mode, and then re-start. Since then there has not been a repeat of the issue, which is a problem as I cannot take it to the service department if the wipers are working.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, and can you report the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingohandjob View Post
Since then there has not been a repeat of the issue, which is a problem as I cannot take it to the service department if the wipers are working.
OR... possibly its a solution and you do not need to take it to the service department if the wipers are working...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
OR... possibly its a solution and you do not need to take it to the service department if the wipers are working...
Not what I asked was it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingohandjob View Post
Not what I asked was it.
So? My comment wasn't an answer to your question. It was to state that your question is pointless if the problem is already solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
So? My comment wasn't an answer to your question. It was to state that your question is pointless if the problem is already solved.
Or it's an intermittent problem that will return, hence my question. If you are unable to answer the question, then please refrain from making unhelpful comments. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Not sure how its unhelpful to point out that the problem may be solved already, but sure - I'm out.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Was there was an instance where you might had held the wiper lever down until the wipers stopped in a close to vertical position?

Fold-away position should only work when vehicle is in stand-by mode and performed above action. If they're in vertical position, putting the vehicle in stand-by mode and holding the wiper level down should return the wipers to their resting position.

I'd listen for any unusual sounds emanating from wiper mount point the next time your wipers are on. Otherwise might be a random occurrence.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #8
bingohandjob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Was there was an instance where you might had held the wiper lever down until the wipers stopped in a close to vertical position?

Fold-away position should only work when vehicle is in stand-by mode and performed above action. If they're in vertical position, putting the vehicle in stand-by mode and holding the wiper level down should return the wipers to their resting position.

I'd listen for any unusual sounds emanating from wiper mount point the next time your wipers are on. Otherwise might be a random occurrence.
That's useful advice, thank you.
Appreciate 0