BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Took some measurements of the rear interior

Went and compared X5 to 4-series trunk. Surprisingly, it's not a huge difference.

4 series (coupe)
Middle of back seat - 10” wide
Trunk to back of front seats - 64-68”
Width of trunk - 36” (most) to 55” (back corners)
Sides of corners - 17”x14”/9”x8”
Height of trunk - 18”
Length of trunk with seats up - 37”

X5
Trunk to back of front seats - 69”
Width of trunk - 43.5”
Sides of corners - N/A
Height of trunk - 18”
Length of trunk with seats up - 40”

The most notable areas the X5 has more space is the average width (43.5" vs 36", significantly wider) and the length front to rear with the seats up (40" vs 37"). Obviously, you can stack things higher than 18" for the height, but I measured to where the cargo cover would slide out. Measurements were a tiny bit (+/- 0.5" or so) sloppy given I was using a metal tape measure and bending it to approximate best guess.

One other thing to note on the "back corners" measurement on the 4 series is that was to account for the little pockets it has where the X5 is straight all the way back. So if you had a particular item such as, say, a golf club (driver, ~45" + head + bag bottom) it would fit sideways in the 4 series trunk but not in the X5 rear.

Debating on building out a 3d model of a few common items next to see what you could cram in the bag and how. Suitcases + golf clubs + inflatable paddleboard, etc. I may go pull some measurements on the 340 and 240 as well to compare.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 03-15-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Went and compared X5 to 4-series trunk. Surprisingly, it's not a huge difference.

4 series (coupe)
Trunk to back of front seats - 64-68”
Width of trunk - 36” (most) to 55” (back corners)
Sides of corners - 17”x14”/9”x8”
Height of trunk - 18”
Length of trunk with seats up - 37”

X5
Trunk to back of front seats - 69”
Width of trunk - 43.5”
Sides of corners - N/A
Height of trunk - 18”
Length of trunk with seats up - 40”

The most notable areas the X5 has more space is the average width (43.5" vs 36", significantly wider) and the length front to rear with the seats up (40" vs 37"). Obviously, you can stack things higher than 18" for the height, but I measured to where the cargo cover would slide out. Measurements were a tiny bit (+/- 0.5" or so) sloppy given I was using a metal tape measure and bending it to approximate best guess.

One other thing to note on the "back corners" measurement on the 4 series is that was to account for the little pockets it has where the X5 is straight all the way back. So if you had a particular item such as, say, a golf club (driver, ~45" + head + bag bottom) it would fit sideways in the 4 series trunk but not in the X5 rear.

Debating on building out a 3d model of a few common items next to see what you could cram in the bag and how. Suitcases + golf clubs + inflatable paddleboard, etc. I may go pull some measurements on the 340 and 240 as well to compare.
Thanks for sharing! Interesting stuff...if you're looking for comparisons to make, I'd love to see a comparison of the G05 to the G06!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Thanks for sharing! Interesting stuff...if you're looking for comparisons to make, I'd love to see a comparison of the G05 to the G06!
Probably the same aside from height past the cargo cover.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Just curious how did you measure this?

Trunk to back of front seats - 64-68” Trunk to back of front seats - 69”

Was it your seating position all the way forward or back? I ask because just the other day I put a 74" box with seats down and didn't have to move my seats forward and Im 6'2"
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Just curious how did you measure this?

Trunk to back of front seats - 64-68” Trunk to back of front seats - 69”

Was it your seating position all the way forward or back? I ask because just the other day I put a 74" box with seats down and didn't have to move my seats forward and Im 6'2"
Best guesstimate based on a couple things -

1. I'm 6'0". I got in the driver's seat and adjusted the seat to my comfort level which is fairly average in terms of reclining the seat I think
2. I realized after setting this that it was too far back and the rear seats would not fold completely as they were hitting the front
3. I hit the release for the front seat, folded the rear seat, and brought the front back to normal position. It had a bit of difficulty still so I brought it more vertical to allow a bit of room / play in the back seat.
4. I measured to about where the seat - not the headrest - of the folded down rear seat ended. I figured this would account for some if not all of the overhang from the front seat reclining depending on how you have your seats set up
5. Now that you mention it, I forgot to position the front seats at all in the X5, and just measured similarly to the edge of the rear folded seat (though, when folded, the headrest was brushing the back of the front seat, so it shouldn't be much different).

Was the 74" touching the back of the front seat in your X5? That would be about the height of the headrest I think. I can go do it again and post pics if you want or if one of you wants to duplicate the measurements at home to confirm that would be good. I was going a little fast and loose with it just to get a best guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Best guesstimate based on a couple things -

1. I'm 6'0". I got in the driver's seat and adjusted the seat to my comfort level which is fairly average in terms of reclining the seat I think
2. I realized after setting this that it was too far back and the rear seats would not fold completely as they were hitting the front
3. I hit the release for the front seat, folded the rear seat, and brought the front back to normal position. It had a bit of difficulty still so I brought it more vertical to allow a bit of room / play in the back seat.
4. I measured to about where the seat - not the headrest - of the folded down rear seat ended. I figured this would account for some if not all of the overhang from the front seat reclining depending on how you have your seats set up
5. Now that you mention it, I forgot to position the front seats at all in the X5, and just measured similarly to the edge of the rear folded seat (though, when folded, the headrest was brushing the back of the front seat, so it shouldn't be much different).

Was the 74" touching the back of the front seat in your X5? That would be about the height of the headrest I think. I can go do it again and post pics if you want or if one of you wants to duplicate the measurements at home to confirm that would be good. I was going a little fast and loose with it just to get a best guess.
Great description. I don't remember how much extra room I had it wasn't much but didn't have issues closing anything up and didn't adjust my seat to make it fit either. No need for further deep dive I was just curious and it makes sense now.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No prob. My gf is eyeballing an X5 or X7 as a replacement for her Range Rover, and I've been eyeballing an X5 vs 4 series hence the measurements and comparison. She's got 2 large trunks for her gear she needs space for (leaning towards the X7) while I was more vacation-minded (iSUPs and golf). Even in the X7 she'd have to fit the trunks in sideways and front to back rather than lengthwise and side by side, so she's also eyeballing going back to a Tahoe / Denali.
Appreciate 0