BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

How to reset the adaptive transmission

Anyone know how to reset the adaptive transmission? I’m getting a relatively rough downshift and was hoping the adaptive transmission reset improved this rough downshift. I’ve read through the forum about other bmws and holding down the gas pedal past the point of resistance for 30 secs but I’m not sure if that did anything
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You're correct...that doesn't do anything...other than indicate that there's a possible aggressive driver behind the wheel...so any thing engineered to accommodate an aggressive driver will be initiated until that behavior ceases or the engine is turned off.

That procedure is one of the biggest misinformed pieces of crap posted on BMW forums that seems to never die.

If you do have adaptive transmission programing...turning on the ignition (or ready state in the new F & G series)...then you press & hold the accelerator pedal past the kick-down point...you are imitating an aggressive driver (flooring the pedal)...so the system/control modules will interpret that accordingly and initiate transmission shifting for that type of individual behavior.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

BUMP

being an essential worker and needing to drive to work, my OCD is in high gear when i get the rough downshifts
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
semibypass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
Anyone know how to reset the adaptive transmission? I’m getting a relatively rough downshift and was hoping the adaptive transmission reset improved this rough downshift. I’ve read through the forum about other bmws and holding down the gas pedal past the point of resistance for 30 secs but I’m not sure if that did anything
What worked for me was to activate diagnostic mode, hold down the gas pedal all the way for that 30 seconds, release the gas pedal, exit diagnostic mode, and then shutdown the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by semibypass View Post
What worked for me was to activate diagnostic mode, hold down the gas pedal all the way for that 30 seconds, release the gas pedal, exit diagnostic mode, and then shutdown the vehicle.
How do you activate diagnostic mode? Mine goes into that mode when I start up Bimmercode but I don't know how to do it manually.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
How do you activate diagnostic mode? Mine goes into that mode when I start up Bimmercode but I don't know how to do it manually.
I believe you push the start button 3 times consecutively without your foot on the gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
I believe you push the start button 3 times consecutively without your foot on the gas.
Yes, and mobilejo, the car DOES NOT go into Diagnostic Mode automatically ever, including for Bimmercode — you need to manually be in Diagnostic Mode or engine running mode during any coding including Bimmercode, otherwise not all your ECUs will be powered on and operational (engine must not be running when coding DME, so only Diagnostic Mode for DME).
      04-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yes, and mobilejo, the car DOES NOT go into Diagnostic Mode automatically ever, including for Bimmercode — you need to manually be in Diagnostic Mode or engine running mode during any coding including Bimmercode, otherwise not all your ECUs will be powered on and operational (engine must not be running when coding DME, so only Diagnostic Mode for DME).
Interesting. When I plug in my adaptor and connect Bimmercode, I have the engine off and the car in 'ready' mode. When Bimmercode connects with the car, I get an alert on the HUD that says something to the effect of diagnostic mode active or enabled (can't recall exactly) - at the same time as this notification being displayed, more items light up on the dash similar to when you start the engine (but I have not actually started the engine).

What is happening there?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. When I plug in my adaptor and connect Bimmercode, I have the engine off and the car in 'ready' mode. When Bimmercode connects with the car, I get an alert on the HUD that says something to the effect of diagnostic mode active or enabled (can't recall exactly) - at the same time as this notification being displayed, more items light up on the dash similar to when you start the engine (but I have not actually started the engine).

What is happening there?
Well what do you know, starting with your report, followed by other reports, and now as I just tested myself in my setup ... yes, it seems modern Bimmercode and/or modern iDrive versions do, in fact, automatically invoke Diagnostic Mode when Bimmercode connects to the car!

That was NOT the case in the past, but appears to be the case now. I am on iOS Bimmercode 3.5. Considering that users probably often forgot to be in Diagnostic Mode, it is an important feature that Bimmercode was able to add.

Cool. Apologies for misinformation, but that's the reality of software-updatable systems — they can change behaviour.
      04-07-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well what do you know, starting with your report, followed by other reports, and now as I just tested myself in my setup ... yes, it seems modern Bimmercode and/or modern iDrive versions do, in fact, automatically invoke Diagnostic Mode when Bimmercode connects to the car!

That was NOT the case in the past, but appears to be the case now. I am on iOS Bimmercode 3.5. Considering that users probably often forgot to be in Diagnostic Mode, it is an important feature that Bimmercode was able to add.

Cool. Apologies for misinformation, but that's the reality of software-updatable systems — they can change behaviour.
Thanks for looking into it - glad I'm not going mad
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50