BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #23
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim38rus View Post
I really doubt it is a "factory oops". Have a look at the black inserts, there are white stains on them i.e., the front bumper was locally repainted w/ black inserts in place.
Good point out, I looked at that but from the pic it looks like left over wax someone was trying to buff the paint... My old eyes not like they used to be.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Hi guys, I took delivery of my X6 M50i on Jan 24th at BMW of Brooklyn in NY. This week I found the AC is unable to cool so I brought the car to a local dealer in NJ. When the tech inspected the car, they noticed the right front corner painted and clear is cracking. Please see the pictures. The cracking is not easy to notice unless you take a close look. That's likely the reason I didn't find it out when delivery. And the delivery was in late afternoon when there is no sun light...

Since I purchased the car I have never had any damages or have the car painted. So it must be from the dealer I purchased the car at, BMW of Brooklyn. Then I contacted my SA, and he denies it was there. I searched the forum, it seems BMW of Brooklyn has a history of doing that...
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639063

What should I do now? Any suggestions? Many thanks
Could be poor touch up from the factory. Just saying .
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #25
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
I guess I would find out if it's a paint defect under warranty. If it is then I will get it fixed at my local dealer, if not I will probably just leave it there. I don't plan to sell the car in the next 5 years.
RJJJ,
As I and others have said in this thread, don't live with it. It doesn't matter how it happened provided you didn't cause it in order for warranty to cover it. I would just take it to your favorite BMW dealer and have them look at it. If they don't have their own body shop, they will send you to one where your warranty will cover it. Its so easy to compare the passenger front paint to the drivers front paint and see that there is an issue. This is absolutely a warranty claim.
Thanks, will try to see if it's under warranty after the AC is fixed. Although it may take 2-4 weeks for the AC to be fixed since the whole system needs to be changed and parts need to be ordered from Germany
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #26
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
ah man, sorry to hear. another reminder to new purchasers to always check carefully when accepting their new car and the week after.

as mentioned, either defective paint or damage after delivery. someone tried to cover it up and succeed. unless its indeed defective paint and cracking started weeks after you received. Im not a paint expert, but someone with paint background might be able to tell if its defective paint or a poor repair job from the photos.

Im sure its cover by warranty, but I would make sure this gets repaired to original new condition, period! in your photos, it looks pretty bad, unacceptable. seem like its mineral white, that make matter worst/a challenge matching the rest of the car.
Thanks, right it's mineral white. Hopefully it's under warranty and can be fixed with exactly same color paint
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #27
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I live 5mins from Life quality BMW but yet I rather drive 1 hour out of my way to go to a different dealer because i've heard horror stories about that place.

Did you ever wonder if your AC issue could be related to why your bumper required paint work to begin with? small test drive accident?

Alan
      03-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #28
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I live 5mins from Life quality BMW but yet I rather drive 1 hour out of my way to go to a different dealer because i've heard horror stories about that place.

Did you ever wonder if your AC issue could be related to why your bumper required paint work to begin with? small test drive accident?

Alan
Not sure. Initially, my local dealer asked me what happened to my front bumper, as they are trying to figure out the reason for AC not cooling. That's how I know the paint issue.

They do many diagnostics, turns out the whole AC system needs to be replaced, not just the compressor... Sad to see such a big repair on a brand new car
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #29
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

Alan
Yes bmw of Brooklyn is bad. I was charged 3k deposit to order my car, didn't know it's too high since it's my first time ordering a car. Since I lived in Manhattan before, and bmw of Manhattan doesn't allow test drive for under25 years old people... I ended up there...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Not sure. Initially, my local dealer asked me what happened to my front bumper, as they are trying to figure out the reason for AC not cooling. That's how I know the paint issue.

They do many diagnostics, turns out the whole AC system needs to be replaced, not just the compressor... Sad to see such a big repair on a brand new car
Somehow, something seems suspicious to me about the whole thing, maybe Alan l. is on to something. Might be a good idea to thoroughly inspect the bumper, inside the bumper and in the engine compartment in and around the painted side of the car and the air conditioning components. Look for signs that parts were replaced or taken apart or are bent or just don't look like they are factory new.

I certainly don't want to cause you more concerns but maybe something happened to your car and the dealer you bought it from is trying hard to keep you at a distance to cover it up. If that is in fact the case and you can prove it, you could be in line for a replacement. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #31
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Your bumper was painted after factory, it wouldn't pass quality control.
2nd control would be at dealership, when they received car from factory, they inspect car in details,even for tiny rockchips.
99.9% they knew about defect,wherever damage occurred pretty sure there is invoice trace, someone had to pay for that bad paint job
      03-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #32
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHunk View Post
Your bumper was painted after factory, it wouldn't pass quality control.
2nd control would be at dealership, when they received car from factory, they inspect car in details,even for tiny rockchips.
99.9% they knew about defect,wherever damage occurred pretty sure there is invoice trace, someone had to pay for that bad paint job
I personally doubt the dealership would share these papers with any customer.

While it might worth trying to search for such traces, I find it ridiculous. I went through a similar experience last summer and I can say that I hate playing a detective to get my car serviced in accordance with "high BMW standards".
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

While it might worth trying to search for such traces, I find it ridiculous. I went through a similar experience last summer and I can say that I hate playing a detective to get my car serviced in accordance with "high BMW standards".
Look at it this way, if you discovered your two month old car had been wrecked and fixed without disclosure to you and you were charged a new car price, how would you feel?
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 12:24 PM   #34
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
I'd Contact BMW NA
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #35
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
Yes bmw of Brooklyn is bad. I was charged 3k deposit to order my car, didn't know it's too high since it's my first time ordering a car. Since I lived in Manhattan before, and bmw of Manhattan doesn't allow test drive for under25 years old people... I ended up there...
Once you get an attorney to fire off a letter, believe me their song and dance will change. If you have to, pay a few hundred to have an attorney send a certified letter to the dealership requesting the entire history of your vehicle, from body shop to paint shop, to who PCI'd it.

Last edited by AKittrell; 03-15-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

What ever you decide to do, make sure you keep records of all conversations, receipts for service and I would go as far as having the dealer that is doing A/C work record their findings on your service paperwork. Documentation goes a long ways. If I were you I would contact the GM at BMW of Brooklyn and demand that they fix your car and would be asking for compensation as well. You could make their life very difficult and the same applies to BMW USA. Magnuson Moss Warranty Act applies to your case. In fact if BMW refuses to fix your car CORRECTLY then you can get an attorney that specializes in MMWA. They don't charge up front fees and only get their fee through a settlement or a jury trial. I know this because I had to go down this road 6 years ago over a problem that BMW attempted to fix multiple times and then stated it was characteristic. I ended up with money in my pocket after that. Don't give in to BMW.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 02:17 AM   #37
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Quote:

Look at it this way, if you discovered your two month old car had been wrecked and fixed without disclosure to you and you were charged a new car price, how would you feel?
That is exactly what I was trying to say. I was completely disappointed (better say pissed off?) with the fact that my 8-month old car returned to me with an improperly installed front bumper; missing bolts and rivets; broken brackets holding KAFAS cover in place; and other minor issues. While my tech-advisor didn't even dare to say a word that the car had been damaged at the service center.
Taking my car to that service center, I expected the servicemen to do their job professionally. Instead, I was playing a detective to find out what happened to my car and then supervised the repair process. IMO, it's too much. Especially, if car's price is taken into account.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #38
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys, I took delivery of my X6 M50i on Jan 24th at BMW of Brooklyn in NY. This week I found the AC is unable to cool so I brought the car to a local dealer in NJ. When the tech inspected the car, they noticed the right front corner painted and clear is cracking. Please see the pictures. The cracking is not easy to notice unless you take a close look. That's likely the reason I didn't find it out when delivery. And the delivery was in late afternoon when there is no sun light...

Since I purchased the car I have never had any damages or have the car painted. So it must be from the dealer I purchased the car at, BMW of Brooklyn. Then I contacted my SA, and he denies it was there. I searched the forum, it seems BMW of Brooklyn has a history of doing that...
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639063

What should I do now? Any suggestions? Many thanks
Avoid the back and forth arguments that only lead to further frustration. Its a brand new car and you have a warranty that any BMW dealer will honor. For all you know, it could be a factory paint defect, doesn't matter, get your favorite dealer to fix it. I can easily see it in your pix, looks awful. Nice clear pix by the way :-)
Just took it it my local dealer. They inspected and told me it's clearly someone repainted and tried to coverup. So it's not under warranty and I have to take it back to the dealership I purchased the car...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just took it it my local dealer. They inspected and told me it's clearly someone repainted and tried to coverup. So it's not under warranty and I have to take it back to the dealership I purchased the car...
Its time to contact BMW NA and explain the events exactly as they happened, ask them to get involved because the selling dealer has refused to help you. I would also contact the BBB and file a complaint and possibly an attorney if it appears the selling dealer is still going to refuse you. You should know ahead of time what you want, either to have it properly fixed or to have it replaced. Not saying you will get your choice though.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #40
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its time to contact BMW NA and explain the events exactly as they happened, ask them to get involved because the selling dealer has refused to help you. I would also contact the BBB and file a complaint and possibly an attorney if it appears the selling dealer is still going to refuse you. You should know ahead of time what you want, either to have it properly fixed or to have it replaced. Not saying you will get your choice though.
Thanks, I contacted the purchase dealer before. Sent an email to my SA and he forwarded to his manager. I do have pictures taken during delivery, when enlarge the picture, it shows some clear evidence that the car was painted. But then the dealer closed due to Covid 19. Will catch up when they reopen this month. If they can't take care of it I will contact BMW NA. BTW, is bmw na contacted by the genius number?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #41
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I contacted the purchase dealer before. Sent an email to my SA and he forwarded to his manager. I do have pictures taken during delivery, when enlarge the picture, it shows some clear evidence that the car was painted. But then the dealer closed due to Covid 19. Will catch up when they reopen this month. If they can't take care of it I will contact BMW NA. BTW, is bmw na contacted by the genius number?
No, this is not a situation that the Genius group deals with. Who knows, once the dealers reopen, maybe they will have a change of heart and want to help you, just go in and prove your case in a nice and friendly way. If they give you the runaround, you can simply tell them that you are between a rock and a hard place and have no choice but to contact BMW for help since you are convinced your car was damaged/repaired before you picked it up. You may want to give BMW a chance to resolve it before contacting a lawyer.

Here is the contact info.. ..

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bmw/

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #42
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, this is not a situation that the Genius group deals with. Who knows, once the dealers reopen, maybe they will have a change of heart and want to help you, just go in and prove your case in a nice and friendly way. If they give you the runaround, you can simply tell them that you are between a rock and a hard place and have no choice but to contact BMW for help since you are convinced your car was damaged/repaired before you picked it up. You may want to give BMW a chance to resolve it before contacting a lawyer.

Here is the contact info.. ..

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bmw/

I see, thanks a lot. Hopefully it can resolve smoothly. When I initially post this thread I didn't found the pictures with evidence.:
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #43
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Speak with the general manager and go up from there. This is absolutely unacceptable and if the dealer cared about their reputation they would handle this accordingly.
      05-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #44
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalthinker View Post
Speak with the general manager and go up from there. This is absolutely unacceptable and if the dealer cared about their reputation they would handle this accordingly.
BMW of Brooklyn does not care about its reputation, from my experience. I never looked back.
Appreciate 0