BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Ordering parts from BMW Germany

Hi guys, my car AC not cooling. My local dealer inspected and turned out the whole AC system needs to be replaced, which requires some parts from Germany. They have ordered last Friday.

But due to the Virus, BMW German factory is closed. Does parts ordered get affected as well? I see the BMW factory closed for at least a month, don't want to have my car sitting at dealer for so long.... Anyone knows? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

US dealers have visibility to all parts in the entire country. Your dealer probably checked if some other dealer has the parts.

At this point, the only solution is patience.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Wow, I had not heard BMW German factories had shut down. Actually don't hear much about Germany in the virus news. That will effect new vehicle production there & at Spartenburg. I would think parts orders would be even more backlogged when they resume.

As far as your A/C issue, I would just take the X6 back from the dealer - what's the point of having it sit there for possibly a month or more?? It's only March, you can live without the A/C for a while.
Have to say that's pretty crazy to have the entire A/C system bad on a brand new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Wow, I had not heard BMW German factories had shut down. Actually don't hear much about Germany in the virus news. That will effect new vehicle production there & at Spartenburg. I would think parts orders would be even more backlogged when they resume.

As far as your A/C issue, I would just take the X6 back from the dealer - what's the point of having it sit there for possibly a month or more?? It's only March, you can live without the A/C for a while.
Have to say that's pretty crazy to have the entire A/C system bad on a brand new vehicle.
Currently I am driving a basic X5 40i loaner... although can't compare with my X6 M50i. But At least it blows cold air..... March is not hot, but in car it's not cozy without AC, especially when sunny... No idea why a brand new car will have a defect AC, guess in future will get Porsche instead..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
US dealers have visibility to all parts in the entire country. Your dealer probably checked if some other dealer has the parts.

Maybe it will be there another month
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Maybe it will be there another month
At least you have a decent loaner to drive to the grocery store and practice social distancing afterwards. Month will pass by quickly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #7
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post

Europe has come to a standstill. There is no social life anymore and economical life has dropped dramatically. With gigantic temporary unemployment. Only essential stores and factories are open (food, pharmacie, logistics, ...). BMW shutdown all European plants. Spartanburg will follow 3th of April. Borders are being closed for people but essential transport and goods are still allowed.
Germany is hit hard with the corona virus, as Italy, Spain and France. In other countries the situation can escalate very fast. Everything changes from day by day, hour by hour. All hospitals are preparing for the worst or are already in that horror scenario. All normal medical interventions and operations are cancelled to make more ER capacity available with ventilators.

In Italy 650 people died of the coronavirus the last 24 hours. Crematoria are running 24/7 and they can't handle the flow. This is unseen. But this is the reality for now in Europe.

In some countries the military is already in the street to enforce the rules. Healthcare structures are imploding in several countries.
Let's hope we can turn the tide within the next days or week

Last edited by Heavyd; 03-21-2020 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0