hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
Day 25.
I inquired about my vehicle this afternoon since I received no update from them and was expecting/hoping to get it back today.

Their response @2:23pm: "BMW has not given us the go ahead to release the vehicle as of yet. So, my technician has not re-assembled the vehicle. I will let you know when we hear back."

You take your vehicle in thinking to get it back the same day or maybe the next day, but it is pretty unfathomable to not have it 25 days later and counting...
I got mine back yesterday, they adjusted the bump stops I had posted a picture of but also some horizontal bump stops that aren't obviously adjustable to a non-tech. So far so good. They also put felt tape around the clips that hold the dash trim in place to quiet another buzzing / rattle they heard on the test drive.

I'm interested to see if a night in the cold brings it right back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #24
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
I got mine back yesterday, they adjusted the bump stops I had posted a picture of but also some horizontal bump stops that aren't obviously adjustable to a non-tech. So far so good. They also put felt tape around the clips that hold the dash trim in place to quiet another buzzing / rattle they heard on the test drive.

Great! Happy for you! What bump stops are you referring to? Mine still at shop, 26 days now...
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #25
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great! Happy for you! What bump stops are you referring to? Mine still at shop, 26 days now...
Originally the round bump stops that the red arrow points to in the photo below were adjusted. They turn counter clockwise to extend and clockwise to retract.

The horizontal bump stops that the blue arrow points to were adjusted after this most recent (3rd) visit and are much further out (towards the arrow) after I got it back. The photo is before they were adjusted. Now they extend out further.

I think they all just hold the upper lift gate in place because there is a lot of play in the latches.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ladra17.50
      01-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #26
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Here is a post that I posted last year. Some criticized me for it. But I believe the tides may have turned now. Also, since I wrote this, my new 2020 X5 M50i arrived. It makes the same noises and is now in the shop with half of the engine apart. It has only 1400 miles on it since September 2019. It's been spending the past few months in my garage bleeding oil like it was having its monthly. They say it's the passenger side valve cover gasket and it took the technicians 5 days so far just to tear it down.

"I'm going to say something here and some of you will agree with me, lots of you will disagree and possibly criticize me heavily, and the others will say nothing but agree with me silently. But the fact is, these new X5's are NOT quality cars. Let me explain.

I had a 2016 X5 5.0 and after 2 years, it developed a problem. I don't know how serious the problem was because the dealer was never able to fix it. Now I said the dealer "was never able" to fix, which doesn't qualify the seriousness of the problem but rather the quality of the dealership. I don't want to go into details but let's just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission, that was it for me. Also on that note, if the dealership has to begin removing major parts, forget about it. Your car will never be the same!

So, the factory finally agreed to buy back my car and left me in a spot of having to decide if I wanted to go down this road again. By the way, this was the second X5. I previously had a 2007 and the experience wasn't a walk in the park either. But it was repaired correctly. Anyway, after some thought and after surprising news that BMW was going to the G05, I decided to order another one.

Now "customer service" wise, the dealership management has been the best. I dealt exclusively with the General Manager and this guy is uncannily the best at customer service than anyone is at anything else. He even gave me a new G05 to drive while I waited for my order at no charge for the entire 2 months.

So, I order the X5 equipped just as my previous 5.0 but with nearly every bell and whistle, including the M Sport Package. The car was superb for 2 full months. It was a looker too in Black Sapphire. People would pull me over just to take a look and ask questions. But as I said, "for 2 full months". When we began having warm weather here in California. It seemed to fall apart overnight. Its plastics pieces began to click and pop. It always sounded as if someone was buckling and unbuckling the rear seatbelts when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces, even though no one was in the backseat. The door jams began to squish and creak. It sounded more like an old Ford from the 60's instead of a modern $90K, technology filled SUV like I "thought" I had. I was devastated!

After months of installing and removing and reinstalling Teflon tape, driving around with BMW Technicians climbing back and forth from the front seat to the rear seat to the cargo area trying to figure out where the clicking and popping noises were coming from, I gave up and lost every ounce of feeling I had for this car. I love cars! I actually teared up when the 2016 had to be returned. I have no feelings for this latest venture down the road of creaks, clicks and pops.

It's been really hot here in California for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.

Fortunately, the dealer agreed not to put me back through the experiences I was having just about a year ago. Though the factory wants patience in trying to repair this car, the dealer said "No way" and agreed themselves to accept the car back. But! I just ordered a new one to see if the 3rd time is the charm. But! I am really, really concerned! And if that was not enough, the dealership again provided me with a new G05 to drive while I wait. They PDI'ed it and gave it straight to me. Two hours later, I was back at the dealership because this car had problems with the Navigation system that required 3 hours of servicing. But that was not the biggee for me. It also had the same clicking and popping sound from the rear interior and doors when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces that I began to experience after the weather turned warmed.

The reason I took the time to write this "story" is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here. I also know I cannot be the only one who is having these problems. Even the dealership spoke to the factory and asked, "Why do you keep sending us these 'pieces of s**t cars'?" Like I said, the dealership has been fairly honest with me.

Again I want to say. I love the BMW X5 with the V8. It "drives" like no other SUV I've driven, even the more expensive and more powerful ones. I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology."
Appreciate 5
radmjk238.00
faiz76.50
Al Pină1838.50
MissVito205.50
      01-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #27
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally the round bump stops that the red arrow points to in the photo below were adjusted. They turn counter clockwise to extend and clockwise to retract.

The horizontal bump stops that the blue arrow points to were adjusted after this most recent (3rd) visit and are much further out (towards the arrow) after I got it back. The photo is before they were adjusted. Now they extend out further.

I think they all just hold the upper lift gate in place because there is a lot of play in the latches.
Thanks for the detailed photos! I will pass this along to my dealer! Hope your vehicle stays quiet!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #28
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
Here is a post that I posted last year. Some criticized me for it. But I believe the tides may have turned now. Also, since I wrote this, my new 2020 X5 M50i arrived. It makes the same noises and is now in the shop with half of the engine apart. It has only 1400 miles on it since September 2019. It's been spending the past few months in my garage bleeding oil like it was having its monthly. They say it's the passenger side valve cover gasket and it took the technicians 5 days so far just to tear it down.

"I'm going to say something here and some of you will agree with me, lots of you will disagree and possibly criticize me heavily, and the others will say nothing but agree with me silently. But the fact is, these new X5's are NOT quality cars. Let me explain.

I had a 2016 X5 5.0 and after 2 years, it developed a problem. I don't know how serious the problem was because the dealer was never able to fix it. Now I said the dealer "was never able" to fix, which doesn't qualify the seriousness of the problem but rather the quality of the dealership. I don't want to go into details but let's just say after it elevated to replacing the automatic transmission, that was it for me. Also on that note, if the dealership has to begin removing major parts, forget about it. Your car will never be the same!

So, the factory finally agreed to buy back my car and left me in a spot of having to decide if I wanted to go down this road again. By the way, this was the second X5. I previously had a 2007 and the experience wasn't a walk in the park either. But it was repaired correctly. Anyway, after some thought and after surprising news that BMW was going to the G05, I decided to order another one.

Now "customer service" wise, the dealership management has been the best. I dealt exclusively with the General Manager and this guy is uncannily the best at customer service than anyone is at anything else. He even gave me a new G05 to drive while I waited for my order at no charge for the entire 2 months.

So, I order the X5 equipped just as my previous 5.0 but with nearly every bell and whistle, including the M Sport Package. The car was superb for 2 full months. It was a looker too in Black Sapphire. People would pull me over just to take a look and ask questions. But as I said, "for 2 full months". When we began having warm weather here in California. It seemed to fall apart overnight. Its plastics pieces began to click and pop. It always sounded as if someone was buckling and unbuckling the rear seatbelts when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces, even though no one was in the backseat. The door jams began to squish and creak. It sounded more like an old Ford from the 60's instead of a modern $90K, technology filled SUV like I "thought" I had. I was devastated!

After months of installing and removing and reinstalling Teflon tape, driving around with BMW Technicians climbing back and forth from the front seat to the rear seat to the cargo area trying to figure out where the clicking and popping noises were coming from, I gave up and lost every ounce of feeling I had for this car. I love cars! I actually teared up when the 2016 had to be returned. I have no feelings for this latest venture down the road of creaks, clicks and pops.

It's been really hot here in California for the past few weeks. But it cools down late at night. One night on a day when my 2019 X5 had not been driven at all, I raise the garage door to let in the cooler air and it set there and began popping like someone was shooting off fireworks. The noises were coming from all the plastic components on the exterior of the car. If you grab the rear bumper cap right behind the rear wheel, the entire area flex more like a plastic blanket instead of a sturdy part.

Fortunately, the dealer agreed not to put me back through the experiences I was having just about a year ago. Though the factory wants patience in trying to repair this car, the dealer said "No way" and agreed themselves to accept the car back. But! I just ordered a new one to see if the 3rd time is the charm. But! I am really, really concerned! And if that was not enough, the dealership again provided me with a new G05 to drive while I wait. They PDI'ed it and gave it straight to me. Two hours later, I was back at the dealership because this car had problems with the Navigation system that required 3 hours of servicing. But that was not the biggee for me. It also had the same clicking and popping sound from the rear interior and doors when driving over small bumps in the road and uneven surfaces that I began to experience after the weather turned warmed.

The reason I took the time to write this "story" is because I know everyone cannot be having all these glowing experiences I read here. I also know I cannot be the only one who is having these problems. Even the dealership spoke to the factory and asked, "Why do you keep sending us these 'pieces of s**t cars'?" Like I said, the dealership has been fairly honest with me.

Again I want to say. I love the BMW X5 with the V8. It "drives" like no other SUV I've driven, even the more expensive and more powerful ones. I just wish they would put as much attention into the structure of the car as they have into its power and technology."
This a sad and unfortunate story, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from. It started with mine when it arrived - minus the roof rails!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #29
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed photos! I will pass this along to my dealer! Hope your vehicle stays quiet!
Thanks. They also applied a thick lube / grease to those that the blue arrow pointed at, and to the thin rectangular "bumpers" that are on the lift gate itself and touch those stops.
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      01-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #30
bqvalen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05, 2016 F15, 2019 XC60

Talking

Quote:

DUDE! This was my fix. Saw this just now and made the adjustments. I also noted that before I made the adjustments, I was able to replicate the noise by simply applying on/off pressure to the passenger side of the hatch. I made the adjustments to the point of the hatch not closing and backed off 1/2 turn. My noise is gone! Yinz are the best!
Appreciate 1
radmjk238.00
      01-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #31
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

No sounds whatsoever yet in my 2020 M50. It has seen temps from 0-100 degrees F. I am also very picky about this sort of thing. I’m the type who will get into the trunk of a car and have my wife drive down the highway while I try to diagnose a noise. Sorry to those having issues, especially 787, but first impressions suggest this is an extremely high quality car.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #32
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. They also applied a thick lube / grease to those that the blue arrow pointed at, and to the thin rectangular "bumpers" that are on the lift gate itself and touch those stops.
I let dealer know about your fix and they responded:

"Hi, we have already ruled those out (bump stops)--that is not your issue. There were some bad spot welds in the body. And I cannot receive photos in this format."

So, if my spot welds were supposedly fixed what are they working on now?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #33
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:

"Hi, we have already ruled those out (bump stops)--that is not your issue. There were some bad spot welds in the body. And I cannot receive photos in this format."

I am really very interested in your case. I sure hope it's not something as complicated as body weld issues causing this creaking sound. I was hoping it was just trim causing that noise.

I ditched my 7 month old GMC Yukon for the X5 mostly because of the squeaks and rattles the Yukon had. That body style had been out for like 3 or 4 years when I got it, yet it still made noises. In its first year, there were many reports of loud booming sounds at highway speeds. Turns out it was structural issues with the roof that needed to have some design modifications to fix. The poor folks who had first model year vehicles had to have extensive body work in the roof, including welds.

Just more reason not to get a first year model

And to the poster above who said their X5 is silent and is very particular about squeaks and rattles — you are very lucky and enjoy it! My X5 makes all kinds of little rattles and makes me so disappointed and frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #34
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post

This a sad and unfortunate story, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from. It started with mine when it arrived - minus the roof rails!
We've had our G05 50i since November 2018 and driven about 16k miles including 4 road trips. Besides initial recalls and I-drive controller replacement, our X5 has been flawless. I was actually just thinking about it the other day how this car is so good, no rattles, squeaks etc.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #35
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. So far so good on mine, I haven't heard any noise. There's grease all over the place since they applied a bunch but I'd rather it be quiet! I'm hoping your spot weld issues resolved everything and that they're just keeping it for an extra day or two for testing.

Have you heard anything today from them?
Appreciate 2
radmjk238.00
      01-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #36
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. So far so good on mine, I haven't heard any noise. There's grease all over the place since they applied a bunch but I'd rather it be quiet! I'm hoping your spot weld issues resolved everything and that they're just keeping it for an extra day or two for testing.

Well, I finally got the word this afternoon that it was released by BMW and was reassembled. It is sure good to have it back...I'd been driving a little X2 for the last 28 days, no offense to those who own one, but nothing like driving an X5 M50i. It appears the creaking sound is gone, not entirely sure that I didn't pick up something new though. It is just good to have it back. It appears that there were bad spot welds and/or other issues under the rear bench seat. I attached the three page invoice for anyones perusal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
hkleyman135.00
X5_CC288.50
Cooltones241.00
MissVito205.50
      01-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #37
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I took care of my problems for good. I got rid of the car! Now I can sleep without even thinking about it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #38
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I finally got the word this afternoon that it was released by BMW and was reassembled. It is sure good to have it back...I'd been driving a little X2 for the last 28 days, no offense to those who own one, but nothing like driving an X5 M50i. It appears the creaking sound is gone, not entirely sure that I didn't pick up something new though. It is just good to have it back. It appears that there were bad spot welds and/or other issues under the rear bench seat. I attached the three page invoice for anyones perusal.
Wow what a mess. Good thing it's back in your hands! Keep in touch, hopefully we're both in the clear now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #39
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow what a mess. Good thing it's back in your hands! Keep in touch, hopefully we're both in the clear now.
Thanks! You as well. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #40
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

X5 M50i Creaking sound rear passenger area. At dealer for 27 days and counting...

Wow, thanks for posting! So if I read correctly, the noise came from the right rear seat backrest bracket? I wonder if there's anything less invasive that could eliminate that noise since that bracket is very easily accessible.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #41
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Wow, thanks for posting! So if I read correctly, the noise came from the right rear seat backrest bracket? I wonder if there's anything less invasive that could eliminate that noise since that bracket is very easily accessible.
From my understanding there were bad spot welds, I presume localized under the rear seat, per my service advisor.

Seems to be gone at this point after one day of driving with it. I wish anyone with this issue all the best and hope it never takes 28 days to sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #42
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From my understanding there were bad spot welds, I presume localized under the rear seat, per my service advisor.

Seems to be gone at this point after one day of driving with it. I wish anyone with this issue all the best and hope it never takes 28 days to sort it out.
Wow, you really took one for the team. Hope they turn your fix into a service bulletin so others (including me) can get it fixed easily. I never though that noise would ever get fixed — it has been annoying me for over a year now.

Two months after I got my X5, they did a software update that bricked the car for 3 weeks. I feel your pain. Luckily I pressed hard enough for them to swap out the loaner X2 they gave me for an X5.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #43
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, you really took one for the team. Hope they turn your fix into a service bulletin so others (including me) can get it fixed easily. I never though that noise would ever get fixed — it has been annoying me for over a year now.

Two months after I got my X5, they did a software update that bricked the car for 3 weeks. I feel your pain. Luckily I pressed hard enough for them to swap out the loaner X2 they gave me for an X5.
I wonder if you have the spot weld issues or if you have liftgate issues like I did. The noises are very similar and both were passenger rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #44
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if you have the spot weld issues or if you have liftgate issues like I did. The noises are very similar and both were passenger rear.
Well, I unfortunately have both. I've sat in the back seat and experienced the OP's creaking sound as well as other noises from the rear. I have one of the very first G05 X5s to roll off the assembly line so am likely to have every systematic issue there is
Appreciate 0