BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #23
carlmagnus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Major Dangerous Malfunctions

I was driving today on Adaptive mode doing my regular errands. I approached a red light slowing down when the regular BMW warning chime sounded. What happened next was terrifying, all warning light on the dashboard lit up with (Tire pressure warning, check oil level, brake failure etc.) The dangerous part was that the brakes stoped working to 95%. I pressed everything I could on the brake (which gave the same feedback/response as if the car was off) I just managed to get the car to stop before running right in to fast moving traffic. What was truly odd was that nor me or the man driving the tow truck was able to turn the car off. The car would simply not respond when pushing the ignition button. It was not possible to turn on the e-brake either, basically the only functionality available was changing between D,N & P. This is deeply frustrating as I only took deliveree of the car in November 2019 and have only managed to put roughly 6000 miles on it. Thankfully nothing horrible happened, but a truly dangerous situation. Let me know if anything similar has happened to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:40 AM   #24
Jafayz
Private
Rep
Drives: X45E

BMW Connected

I have my 45e for 4 months now and everytime I am entering the car he is asking for my BMW Connected Password.
As it is quite a long/complex password i am very annoyed with this (minor) issue. Anyone had the same?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafayz View Post
I have my 45e for 4 months now and everytime I am entering the car he is asking for my BMW Connected Password.
As it is quite a long/complex password i am very annoyed with this (minor) issue. Anyone had the same?
I did not. But dit you connect your account to your key fob? Sounds like you only have programmed the code. I would first try this.

And I read about someone in a non 45e having similar issues resolved by an Idrive reset : push the volume button 20 second (I think, didn't remember exactly and didn't have to do it yet).

I also have mine for 4 months. Great car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:23 AM   #26
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmagnus View Post
I was driving today on Adaptive mode doing my regular errands. I approached a red light slowing down when the regular BMW warning chime sounded. What happened next was terrifying, all warning light on the dashboard lit up with (Tire pressure warning, check oil level, brake failure etc.) The dangerous part was that the brakes stoped working to 95%. I pressed everything I could on the brake (which gave the same feedback/response as if the car was off) I just managed to get the car to stop before running right in to fast moving traffic. What was truly odd was that nor me or the man driving the tow truck was able to turn the car off. The car would simply not respond when pushing the ignition button. It was not possible to turn on the e-brake either, basically the only functionality available was changing between D,N & P. This is deeply frustrating as I only took deliveree of the car in November 2019 and have only managed to put roughly 6000 miles on it. Thankfully nothing horrible happened, but a truly dangerous situation. Let me know if anything similar has happened to anyone.
Has service been able to identify the problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #27
jwtw20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 MSport 45e

Had my 45e for 6 weeks now and having some issues as well.

Comfort access is very hit and miss, most of the time I have to use the key

Boot kick open has never worked, probably something to do with the poor comfort access.

Door mirrors folding when locking has now stopped working. I turn it on in the settings, it works when I shut the car after resetting the setting, then stop working again until I toggle it on and off again in the settings.

Reversing camera keeps malfunctioning and is unavailable when reversing. Need to switch the car off and back on to reset it.

Gonna have to wait until the dealerships open in the UK before I can take it in to get it looked at.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #28
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I also have a 2014 CX5 that had your key issues. Replacing the fob battery every year solved the issue. Soon as the DMV opens I am giving it to my son in law and daughter.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #29
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Subscribed. Keeping a close eye on here as I am considering upgrading our 40e to the new one. We’ve had our fair share of issues on the 40e so hopefully nothing serious on this new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:09 AM   #30
svcauwen
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Have my 45e since February. I had issues with the Comfort Access & a mirror folding problem as mentioned here by jwtw20 : these were resolved by updating to 03/2020 with the dealer.

Other issues that came up:

- the car doesn't respect the charging window phase e.g. I put the hours to charge between 10PM-7AM but immediately after I connect the car to charger it starts charging independent of what time it is

- the car frequently loses the setting to charge at 10 or 16A - it resets the value to 6A

- the starting modes varies constantly: some days the car starts up in hybrid mode but other days in electric indiviual mode

These are minor issues where I can live with but for which I hope that maybe a new software upgrade will bring a solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #31
DiamondLights
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I don't get all these problems. How old is the G05 model, 2 years?
For me this are general G05 problems and not 45e problems.
Out of interest did any G05 non-Hybrid drivers find issues like this happening?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #32
DRdriver
Rep
Drives: 09 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLights View Post
Out of interest did any G05 non-Hybrid drivers find issues like this happening?
I was about to ask the same thing, are the 40i, 30d and M50i drivers experiencing the same issues described here? obviously not with the charging issues, but with the in-car electronic issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:32 AM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcauwen View Post
Have my 45e since February. I had issues with the Comfort Access & a mirror folding problem as mentioned here by jwtw20 : these were resolved by updating to 03/2020 with the dealer.

Other issues that came up:

- the car doesn't respect the charging window phase e.g. I put the hours to charge between 10PM-7AM but immediately after I connect the car to charger it starts charging independent of what time it is

- the car frequently loses the setting to charge at 10 or 16A - it resets the value to 6A

- the starting modes varies constantly: some days the car starts up in hybrid mode but other days in electric indiviual mode

These are minor issues where I can live with but for which I hope that maybe a new software upgrade will bring a solution

The startup switch is discussed here

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26240870

The switching between 6-19-16 A happens to me occasionally.

It happened last week again. I notice it when I am already inside my house and see the charging time is longer. Not a big deal.

My default is 10A because of my home system.

Yesterday however I plugged into a public charger. I went away for a 3h hike and realised it could handle 16A. Coming back I saw it had automatically switched to 16A.

So I think the switching down might have te do something with the home electrical system and security measures of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:39 AM   #34
axz17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
2/ Every few days I have to hold my key against steering column as it lost connection (?)
Are you still experiencing #2? I recently picked up a non-hybrid X5 and today was stuck stranded for 2 hours because the key a) would not be recognized by the car and b) when attempting to hold up to steering column by three different people, would still not be recognized

Called Roadside assistance and their tech mentioned there was a fault in one of the control modules...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #35
Appel
Registered
Rep

After waiting for 10 months, my X45e was delivered to me in April.
Although a nice car to drive, there are some issues:
- front right door didn't fit tight to the body. Wasn't noticed by dealer during prep delivery ==> resolved
- panoramic sunroof: electronics failed and I wasn't able to close it again. Followed the instructions in the manual and did a reset. Roof closed again. But next morning rain had come in and dripped from the controls on the ceiling.
First reaction from dealer: you didn't close the roof. Later on it appeared to be an electronics faillure and the whole control unit had to be replaced.
- Airco nor seat ventilation worked. Reason: two tubes defect.
Car is still with the dealer, for a month now. One of those tubes wasn't available worldwide. Expected to be deliverd end of this week.
I'm seriously doubting the quality control of BMW and certainly in the US plant.
Had a Volvo XC90 before. Also had some issues but didn't expect this from BMW.
Anyone else with these problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #36
oseldusan
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, F10 30d, e61 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
I have my X5 45e for 3 months now and it keeps acting up more and more...

1/ Remote3D and DriveRecorder no longer working at all. Previously it worked after doing a reboot.
2/ Every few days I have to hold my key against steering column as it lost connection (?)
3/ The light settings jump every now and then to the default blue
4/ settings for 2nd speed option for self-driving option disappear every few days (and resulted in traffic fines! )
5/ Home address in GPS lost twice already (just disappeared)
6/ Glass roof cover closes itself whenever it feels like
7/ Steering heater is on even if button says it's off...

No issues when I got the car but the list seems to get longer every week.

Anyone else from the early ones seeing similar issues?
I have same car already one year.
Until last month there has been SW 11/2019. Now 11/2019.42
Remote3D never works. Drive recorder working since I bought it ( half year ago) .
2, 3, 4, 5, 7 No issues.
6. I have this issue since begining. It is not even possible to operate glass. It has been 2 times at dealer because of this. Now I am waiting for part to be delivered after Christmass.

Just another two small issues : Car sometime start in hybrid mode , even default electric mode is selected ( latest SW help to reduce a lot ). Second problem, sometimes car doesn't automatically change profile with second key. I have to change it manually on the screen.
Appreciate 0