BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2020, 05:44 AM   #1
BeamM550
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550

Windshield tint and HUD

Anyone get their windshield tinted? What are your experiences with the head up display? Any issues or picture problems?

Appreciate everyone's input!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' X5 50 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamM550 View Post
Anyone get their windshield tinted? What are your experiences with the head up display? Any issues or picture problems?

I have 30% on the windshield, heads up display works fine no issues at all. Go for it
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Is the goal of doing this primarily to reduce the damage from rock chips? I was planning on doing this when I got my PPF done but the guy doing it told me that it is pointless as the film goes yellow over a period of time and the $1000 or so goes to the drain. It is cheaper to just pay a $100 deductible and get a new OEM windshield rather.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Is the goal of doing this primarily to reduce the damage from rock chips? I was planning on doing this when I got my PPF done but the guy doing it told me that it is pointless as the film goes yellow over a period of time and the $1000 or so goes to the drain. It is cheaper to just pay a $100 deductible and get a new OEM windshield rather.
Personally, I tinted my windshield for aesthetics and I had LASIK so I'm very sensitive to the Sun. Being that the tint is on the inside of the windshield like all other tint, it offers no protection to the outside of it whatsoever. I have my Alpine White truck PPF for almost a year and have zero shade of yellow, although it does happen depending on the quality of the Film being used. The window tint will definitely not turn yellow.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBX23 View Post
Personally, I tinted my windshield for aesthetics and I had LASIK so I'm very sensitive to the Sun. Being that the tint is on the inside of the windshield like all other tint, it offers no protection to the outside of it whatsoever. I have my Alpine White truck PPF for almost a year and have zero shade of yellow, although it does happen depending on the quality of the Film being used. The window tint will definitely not turn yellow.
Sorry I should have clarified that I was referring to putting a clear tint on the windshield outside to protect from rock chips. Yes, I have PPF on all my cars which has not yellowed but this was specific to the windshield that I was referring to.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Quote:
Sorry I should have clarified that I was referring to putting a clear tint on the windshield outside to protect from rock chips. Yes, I have PPF on all my cars which has not yellowed but this was specific to the windshield that I was referring to.
Gotcha sorry about the misunderstanding. I'm not sure how well PPF would work on glass? Interesting idea
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:01 AM   #7
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamM550 View Post

Also have mine tinted and have no issues.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
SPEEMER
@SPEEMER
United_States
Rep
Drives: G5 X5

i have 50% with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
BeamM550
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550

Thanks gents! Got mine done. Looks great!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #10
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
I have 30% on the windshield, heads up display works fine no issues at all. Go for it
So after you had the tinting from the back to the windshield your car, do you find any difficulties in removing or applying the State DMV Stickers or any other Parking Permit stickers on it? Can they peel off without damaging the tint sheet?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
CMBX23
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
So after you had the tinting from the back to the windshield your car, do you find any difficulties in removing or applying the State DMV Stickers or any other Parking Permit stickers on it? Can they peel off without damaging the tint sheet?
So now that I moved to Connecticut, the state actually doesn't issue any windshield stickers for registration or inspection.

When I was in NY, I had my windshield tinted and the state Does issue stickers for inspection and registration. My tint guy took a piece of film and attached the registration and inspection on the film, then attached that to the windshield tint itself. It would come right off no problem

If you attach the stickers directly to the windshield tint, you will have a big problem later on when it's time to remove and replace the sticker.
Appreciate 1