BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i & x5 40i

Feels like a completely different car in sport mode

Is it just me or the sport mode changes the car so much?

Since the gas price went down a lot recently, I decided to use sport mode for a while

I never really gave it a try since I thought a big SUV plus air suspension just isn't a sporty combo. Plus in comfort mode it feels like I am driving a boat, every time I break, no matter how soft I break, the car always "nods".

But goddamn in sport mode it is sooooo good. The suspension becomes so stiff that all of a sudden I have confidence to run through curves in a much higher speed than I usually would.

There is no way this thing has just "335 hp".
The gle on the other hand has like 370 hp and it is no where near x5 when it comes down to acceleration. (GLE just feels heavy to me, full send and it won't go anywhere lol)

The exhaust becomes much louder and "firmer" (not sure if it is the right word to describe it), the downshift is so satisfying.

Definitely will aim for 8 cylinder model next time
Appreciate 6
cjack29.50
MystroX56289.50
perikifi165.50
eagle_bmw182.50
nvsocr755.00
      03-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Sport Plus and I feel like I am driving like a Hooligan/Predator. Problem is it goes “lose your license” fast in a blink of a eye and becomes addictive.
Appreciate 4
      03-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Sport Plus and I feel like I am driving like a Hooligan/Predator. Problem is it goes "lose your license" fast in a blink of a eye and becomes addictive.
Yep... Every time I flip it to sport plus I fear for my driving record.

This past weekend I was taking an onramp.. Flipped to sport plus...turned off the radio... Enjoyed that car in all it's glory!
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #4
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sport Plus and I feel like I am driving like a Hooligan/Predator. Problem is it goes “lose your license” fast in a blink of a eye and becomes addictive.
Oh darn I forgot there is sport plus mode!
Thing is tho the my insurance is expensive enough. I have a clean drive record but I mean I am in early 20 so guys like me tend to have expensive insurances

If I get even just one ticket...... I can't imagine my insurance price. Prob 1k per month, god it's just too crazy
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Yep... Every time I flip it to sport plus I fear for my driving record.

This past weekend I was taking an onramp.. Flipped to sport plus...turned off the radio... Enjoyed that car in all it's glory!
Cars like m50i should be driven in German
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
how do you do sport plus on a 40i?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm so happy this thread exists because I was about to start a new one:

Soooo today was the big day. I was carefully watching the odometer all day to hit that 1200 miles. The PCD guy made me swear I'd baby the car to break it in till 1200 miles (under 4000 rpm, dont drive over 100mph, etc). and I did all of that (except not use cruise control) and I made it to 1196 before I was like screw it.

Threw it into sport and moved the shifter over. HOLY CRAP is it fun!!! this felt exactly like it did at the PCD. The gear changes are so VIOLENT. I love how the transmission sounds when its shifting gears, like a shotgun cocking.

...and within a blink of an eye I was doing 90mph on the freeway and I sighed and slowed down to 50 to do it again. God this thing is fast, cant imagine driving the 50i loll

And I got to try out the "kickdown" feature thanks to this forum. that's another level of awesome. I was cruising at 65mph in M8, floored it and pushed on the downshift paddle and boom it was in M4 and it literally threw my head back into my seat.

please i hope gas prices stay low for a while so i can do this a few more times without feeling too guilty lol

Last edited by thereef510; 03-10-2020 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I have a 50 but it should be the same by pushing the ‘sport” button twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a 50 but it should be the same by pushing the ‘sport” button twice.
We also have the xline, not the msport. I think I also saw this in my manual but I'll try it tomorrow. Is there an indicator in the instrument cluster to confirm sport+?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
I remember either press sport button twice or hold it for a while
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      03-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm so happy this thread exists because I was about to start a new one:

Soooo today was the big day. I was carefully watching the odometer all day to hit that 1200 miles. The PCD guy made me swear I'd baby the car to break it in till 1200 miles (under 4000 rpm, dont drive over 100mph, etc). and I did all of that (except not use cruise control) and I made it to 1196 before I was like screw it.

Threw it into sport and moved the shifter over. HOLY CRAP is it fun!!! this felt exactly like it did at the PCD. The gear changes are so VIOLENT. I love how the transmission sounds when its shifting gears, like a shotgun cocking.

...and within a blink of an eye I was doing 90mph on the freeway and I sighed and slowed down to 50 to do it again. God this thing is fast, cant imagine driving the 50i loll

And I got to try out the "kickdown" feature thanks to this forum. that's another level of awesome. I was cruising at 65mph in M8, floored it and pushed on the upshift paddle and boom it was in M4 and it literally threw my head back into my seat.

please i hope gas prices stay low for a while so i can do this a few more times without feeling too guilty lol
I felt exactly the same thing, this thing just punches me into the seat when I floored it. Cannot believe it is just a 6 cylinder ffs
I really looking forward to the 8 or even 12 cylinder BMW
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      03-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Remember you can also set up a custom performance mode in “Sport Individual”.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #13
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Remember you can also set up a custom performance mode in “Sport Individual”.

I didn't want to change anything, I set them all to sport. my commute home today was another level of fun. Didnt even need the B&W stereo tonight loll
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:23 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Remember you can also set up a custom performance mode in "Sport Individual".
Sport+ is better than Sport Individual with all settings on Sport.
      03-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #15
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
So out of interest what does Sport+ bring to the party on top of Sport (or Sport Individual with everything on). The manual doesn’t really shed much light on what the actual changes are in this mode
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:48 AM   #16
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

BMW are notorious for downplaying the bhp. Put it on an accurate dyno and guarantee it will be higher than stated in the marketing briefs. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:51 AM   #17
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I totally agree sport+ transforms the car. It becomes very responsive and enters a 'no compromises' zone for aggressive driving. You literally HAVE to drive fast in sport+ , whereas you could cruise in normal sport mode and its still comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
So out of interest what does Sport+ bring to the party on top of Sport (or Sport Individual with everything on). The manual doesn’t really shed much light on what the actual changes are in this mode
Sport+ affects engine & gearbox (steering and suspension is the same in sport as sport+).

It dials up the throttle responsiveness, the speed of the gear changes, and how it holds gears and when it changes gear compared to sport. It is like sport mode but taken up another level. You will notice when you come off the throttle it will hold higher revs so when you put your foot down again, you are in the optimum power band for acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Yes it is, but you can recreate sport+ in individual by setting steering & damping to sport, and engine and transmission to sport+ within individual. Or mix and match of course.

Push the shifter to the left and the gearbox becomes even more aggressive. That also allows you to go 'full manual' mode if you start using the paddles when the shifter is to the left.

Quote:
Press the sport button to enter sport mode, press again and enter sport+

Quote:
We also have the xline, not the msport. I think I also saw this in my manual but I'll try it tomorrow. Is there an indicator in the instrument cluster to confirm sport+?
I do not know if the xline has sport+ or not. If it does, you will see sport+ in the instrument cluster instead 'sport' or 'comfort' or whatever. You can also set it to give confirmation on the main display when changing modes and you will see sport+ as an option on the bottom of the screen between sport and sport individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:30 AM   #18
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Does a 45e have a sport+ mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #19
Xindicate
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
For a 40i it is a bit more subtle than in an M50i, but still noticeable -- different parameters for steering, suspension, engine response, gearbox shift points and level of aggression, exhaust...in the M50i I find the different modes are most definitely more pronounced and I do not need to look it up in a manual, rather I learn the car and its behavior by driving (hopefully actively pushing it now and then).

For me "Sport Individual with everything on" would mean you have Sport+ on all settings your spec level allows, so you are in Sport+, no difference.

I use Sport Individual as my normal driving mode, which is mostly 0-70 km/h -- I like to have the engine in Sport+ but reduce some settings to have the gearbox switch gears without going to redline, and also have more comfort in steering and suspension.

Sport+ is for Autobahn and occassionaly upon provocations at red lights -- this car has such a grip it is unbelievable (also the thought going through the Porsche driver's brain you just smoked).

With the M50i, for the first time I am using ECO PRO mode -- exclusively in situations with Stop-n-Go heavy traffic where the (semi-)autonomous mode is doing most of the driving for me, here I don't care about the engine response, and it is comforting to see the gas mileage drop to almost normal levels for awhile.

Some feelings I have regarding my previous 540i and the new M50i -- 540i was fast and fun, you had to watch out as it would also get you in trouble fast...however, the M50i is a different beast, whereas the 540i exhaust was pretty muted I now fear people will actively call the cops when I blast by in Sport+. Going on the Autobahn last week...driving 80 km/h in a restricted zone in the middle lane...the fun sign comes up and an X3 M40i behind me floors it and overtakes in the left lane, thinking he is king. Now, my M50i is debadged and with the extended shadowline also missing the cerium gray accents and mirror-caps, so it is a bit of a sleeper. I floor it too and instead of disappearing in the guy's back mirror, I am sticking to him and must lift off, and at 200km/h he yields to the middle...and here is the thing with the M50i: I floor it again and at 200 km/h I am pushed into the seat by the acceleration, and the V8 screams as he disappears behind me. Big smiles (in my car at least), loving it!
Appreciate 3
Ilyam5894.50
MystroX56289.50
      03-11-2020, 05:37 AM   #20
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
If you dont have Sports+ drive mode, you can code it using Bimmercode; via the BDC ECU in Expert mode.

I've done it in my 30d/Diesel, as it doesn't come with Sports+ mode from the factory.

I concur with some of the above comments, Sports+ makes the Transmission and Engine a little more aggressive than plain Sports mode, its very subtle.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #21
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollingCavalier View Post

Since the gas price went down a lot recently, I decided to use sport mode for a while

I never really gave it a try since I thought a big SUV plus air suspension just isn't a sporty combo. Plus in comfort mode it feels like I am driving a boat, every time I break, no matter how soft I break, the car always "nods".

But goddamn in sport mode it is sooooo good. The suspension becomes so stiff that all of a sudden I have confidence to run through curves in a much higher speed than I usually would.

There is no way this thing has just "335 hp".
The gle on the other hand has like 370 hp and it is no where near x5 when it comes down to acceleration. (GLE just feels heavy to me, full send and it won't go anywhere lol)

The exhaust becomes much louder and "firmer" (not sure if it is the right word to describe it), the downshift is so satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollingCavalier View Post

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one that "upgraded" to sports mode now that gas prices are down. Sounds and drives like a totally different vehicle that takes time to assimilate.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Does a 45e have a sport+ mode?
No it doesn't. Just sport individual. But that is good enough. The difference between hybrid and sport is really obvious.
Appreciate 0