BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Found Car was damaged and painted before delivery

Hi guys, I took delivery of my X6 M50i on Jan 24th at BMW of Brooklyn in NY. This week I found the AC is unable to cool so I brought the car to a local dealer in NJ. When the tech inspected the car, they noticed the right front corner painted and clear is cracking. Please see the pictures. The cracking is not easy to notice unless you take a close look. That's likely the reason I didn't find it out when delivery. And the delivery was in late afternoon when there is no sun light...

Since I purchased the car I have never had any damages or have the car painted. So it must be from the dealer I purchased the car at, BMW of Brooklyn. Then I contacted my SA, and he denies it was there. I searched the forum, it seems BMW of Brooklyn has a history of doing that...
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1639063

What should I do now? Any suggestions? Many thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Hi guys, I took delivery of my X6 M50i on Jan 24th at BMW of Brooklyn in NY. This week I found the AC is unable to cool so I brought the car to a local dealer in NJ. When the tech inspected the car, they noticed the right front corner painted and clear is cracking. Please see the pictures. The cracking is not easy to notice unless you take a close look. That's likely the reason I didn't find it out when delivery. And the delivery was in late afternoon when there is no sun light...

Since I purchased the car I have never had any damages or have the car painted. So it must be from the dealer I purchased the car at, BMW of Brooklyn. Then I contacted my SA, and he denies it was there. I searched the forum, it seems BMW of Brooklyn has a history of doing that...

Avoid the back and forth arguments that only lead to further frustration. Its a brand new car and you have a warranty that any BMW dealer will honor. For all you know, it could be a factory paint defect, doesn't matter, get your favorite dealer to fix it. I can easily see it in your pix, looks awful. Nice clear pix by the way :-)
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Could it have been damaged and fixed in the delivery process by BMW?? Can’t believe BMW would do such a crappy job. It doesn’t matter at this point and a paint defect is what your warranty will fix. It looks horrible and I can’t believe your dealer didn’t see it at prepping your car for pick up so in a way it is the dealers fault for letting such a mistake slip through.

How does the rear bumper look??
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The facility at the port does do paint when there is damage in transit and a certain amount is allowable and they don't have to tell you about it. It is definitely repainted, you can see it around the PDC sensor but it looks like they didn't use any flex agent in it - was poorly done for sure, typically the work done at the port is pretty good though.

Like others have said, it is a defect, get if fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

You’d be amazed the number of cars that are damaged in transit between factory and delivery. Sadly BMW/dealers very rarely come clean.

I know of one transporter full of Minis a few years back that were smashed to bits by a loose fixing chain (cars looked like they had been machine gunned after the chain slapped them in the wind for 100s miles).

5 days later all repaired and with new owners.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
TrollingCavalier
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i & x5 40i

TF this is totally not acceptable !!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Whoa! That's a terrible job. Bring 'er back the dealership for repairs. Make sure they don't mark it as a crash so Carfax doesn't see it. That wouldn't be fair.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

A lot of stuff happens at the port. It might have been re-painted there and not at the dealership. That was an awful repair and I would be pissed. Re-painting diminishes the value of the car and every dealership checks paint thickness on trade ins.. If it isn't a lease, you will lose value.

https://bimmerlife.com/2018/08/11/a-...bution-center/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

Avoid the back and forth arguments that only lead to further frustration. Its a brand new car and you have a warranty that any BMW dealer will honor. For all you know, it could be a factory paint defect, doesn't matter, get your favorite dealer to fix it. I can easily see it in your pix, looks awful. Nice clear pix by the way :-)
Is it under warranty? I asked the local dealer whether they can repair the paint as well, since my car is still there fixing AC. They said they don't have body shop. If it's under warranty, why they don't want to get this business.... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Could it have been damaged and fixed in the delivery process by BMW?? Can't believe BMW would do such a crappy job. It doesn't matter at this point and a paint defect is what your warranty will fix. It looks horrible and I can't believe your dealer didn't see it at prepping your car for pick up so in a way it is the dealers fault for letting such a mistake slip through.

How does the rear bumper look??
I checked all another body paints, everything else is fine. Is it under warranty? How do I prove it's defect, not that I scratched and get painted at body shop? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The facility at the port does do paint when there is damage in transit and a certain amount is allowable and they don't have to tell you about it. It is definitely repainted, you can see it around the PDC sensor but it looks like they didn't use any flex agent in it - was poorly done for sure, typically the work done at the port is pretty good though.

Like others have said, it is a defect, get if fixed under warranty.
I talked with the local dealer. It seems they don't want to do the painting business. Is it really under warranty? My car is still there fixing AC. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked all another body paints, everything else is fine. Is it under warranty? How do I prove it's defect, not that I scratched and get painted at body shop? Thanks
Your dealer doesn't have a body shop??? Strange, but ok, take it to another dealer and yes, it is a warranty defect. Just explain that you noticed the cracking and want it repaired. It doesn't matter where it happened, at port, in transit, etc. A good BMW body shop will look at it and know it isn't your fault and repair it under warranty. If you continue to have issues, contact BMW Customer Care.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I was under the impression most dealers do not do their own body work, then send them out... doesn't mean they won't take the car in, but sub out the work.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #14
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I was under the impression most dealers do not do their own body work, then send them out... doesn't mean they won't take the car in, but sub out the work.
The "body shop" market has been transforming for a number of years now...several factors have led to many dealers not having their own body shops any more and most of the small body shops being driven out of business. A few key items:
- All of the driver assistance stuff we have fun discussing in these Forums has led to a lot fewer minor accidents. We still have big accidents, but most of those end up totaling cars...Hence there's simply less to do.
- The specialization of manufacturers has had a dramatic impact on the investment needed to be in the business, especially if you were an independent body shop working on multiple manufacturers (An example from a friend of mine that got out of the body shop business about 7 years ago, after being in it for about 25...the machine to fix a Ford pick-up frame was now in the $30k-$40K range. It's only use was for that manufacturers frame...hence, the investment became massive and how many Ford pick-ups did he need to repair the frame on in a year?)
- The alliance between property insurers and the large body shops...thus directing the business towards the "bigs".

At the same time, the auto dealer business has been going through mass consolidation. So, in most cases, your "BMW Body shop" is really one of the big dealer networks shops and likely doing repairs on mostly the brands they might have in a geographic area. (Hence, the comment of "sending it out" made in another post.) However, that doesn't make economic sense for many...

Back to the OPs original task at hand. Sorry you're having to deal with this. Agree the damage could have happened in shipping and the VDC does do a lot of repairs. In the end, that doesn't matter. The dealer needs to work with BMW to resolve. While the dealer may not have a body shop, they undoubtedly have a body shop they would recommend and one that they can work with to help resolve a new car warranty issue, which is what I believe you're dealing with...It could be another BMW dealer, it could be someone else, but they should be able to handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:06 PM   #15
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

RJJJ, I feel for ya. I'm the original poster of the link that you pasted. BMW of Brooklyn is absolutely the worse. Did you buy or lease the vehicle? If lease, then just move on. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do since BMW of Brooklyn will deny that it was their fault because you have had the vehicle for like two months+. I will defer to others here on the potential course of action--sorry for not being helpful.

I can also tell you that BMW (the corporate) will not care because they will say it is an issue you will have to address with the dealership. You can try speaking to the GM at BMW of Brooklyn, but from my experience, he will not be helpful and probably push back in your case. My case was different because I still had leverage since no paperwork was ever finalized.

I don't think you will ever be able to find out where the damage took place. The damage probably occurred during the transport from the factory to BMW of Brooklyn. Alternatively, it could probably that BMW of Brooklyn mishandled your G06 once it arrived. As you know, BMW of Brooklyn has limited space, and they usually need to bring the vehicle from a warehouse to their premise for client delivery. I agree with some comments here that the repair work on your vehicle was likely done by a 3rd party body shop on behalf of, say, BMW of Brooklyn (assuming BMW of Brooklyn screwed up.)

I later went to a dealer in Long Island and completed a transaction there (my G06 just dispatched from the factory and lease this time). My SA in Long Island asked why I'm so familiar with all the numbers, discount, rebates, build codes, etc. and I told him about my G05 purchase story at BMW of Brooklyn. He responded to me that it wasn't the first time he heard similar stories about BMW of Brooklyn.

PM me if you need any additional info.

Last edited by doctorttt; 03-11-2020 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:59 PM   #16
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
RJJJ, I feel for ya. I'm the original poster of the link that you pasted. BMW of Brooklyn is absolutely the worse. Did you buy or lease the vehicle? If lease, then just move on. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you can do since BMW of Brooklyn will deny that it was their fault because you have had the vehicle for like two months+. I will defer to others here on the potential course of action--sorry for not being helpful.

I can also tell you that BMW (the corporate) will not care because they will say it is an issue you will have to address with the dealership. You can try speaking to the GM at BMW of Brooklyn, but from my experience, he will not be helpful and probably push back in your case. My case was different because I still had leverage since no paperwork was ever finalized.

I don't think you will ever be able to find out where the damage took place. The damage probably occurred during the transport from the factory to BMW of Brooklyn. Alternatively, it could probably that BMW of Brooklyn mishandled your G06 once it arrived. As you know, BMW of Brooklyn has limited space, and they usually need to bring the vehicle from a warehouse to their premise for client delivery. I agree with some comments here that the repair work on your vehicle was likely done by a 3rd party body shop on behalf of, say, BMW of Brooklyn (assuming BMW of Brooklyn screwed up.)

I later went to a dealer in Long Island and completed a transaction there (my G06 just dispatched from the factory and lease this time). My SA in Long Island asked why I'm so familiar with all the numbers, discount, rebates, build codes, etc. and I told him about my G05 purchase story at BMW of Brooklyn. He responded to me that it wasn't the first time he heard similar stories about BMW of Brooklyn.

PM me if you need any additional info.
Thank you so much for your reply. I purchased the car without financing. The damage is very hard to notice, and I have never noticed it before. Today I examined the picture I took at delivery, make it 10 times larger and I can see similar white paint in the black part under front grill. So it's clear that the poor finished paint was done before delivery.

As you said, I don't expect too much from BMW of Brooklyn. I talked with my local dealer and he told me he hears the same thing about BMW of Brooklyn. I guess I would find out if it's a paint defect under warranty. If it is then I will get it fixed at my local dealer, if not I will probably just leave it there. I don't plan to sell the car in the next 5 years.

The reason I bought at BMW of Brooklyn is because I lived in Manhattan until end of last year. BMW Manhattan requires a minimum age of 25 to test drive, so I ended up in Brooklyn. (Only dealer that I can get there with metro). I paid $3000 in deposit... it's my first time order a car in US, so I didn't know 3k deposit is too much. (In China you pay at least 5-10% to custom order a car). Actually I saw your post last December, and then I quoted more dealers, getting a better deal in a NJ dealer but that doesn't make up the 3k deposit... Cuz I saw your post, I planned to scrutinize the car before delivery. But unluckily I was excited and wasn't not patient enough to find the painting. It's also possible that the paint was not that cracking yet at delivery....

Thanks again and enjoy your new car. So far I am happy with anything else besides the unable to cool AC and paint cracking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I would find out if it's a paint defect under warranty. If it is then I will get it fixed at my local dealer, if not I will probably just leave it there. I don't plan to sell the car in the next 5 years.
RJJJ,
As I and others have said in this thread, don't live with it. It doesn't matter how it happened provided you didn't cause it in order for warranty to cover it. I would just take it to your favorite BMW dealer and have them look at it. If they don't have their own body shop, they will send you to one where your warranty will cover it. Its so easy to compare the passenger front paint to the drivers front paint and see that there is an issue. This is absolutely a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

IF this was repainted before you took delivery without your knowledge I personally would NOT accept anything but a new car. We had a similar issue with our Volvo that had a mismatched door we didnt notice until after delivery. We escalated to Volvo USA and they tried to get us to go away by offering a repaint. I start posting online and contacting local media and they quickly changed their tune.

IF this is a factory paint job and just a defect in the paint they should take care of the repaint and if it's not done to your satisfaction then need to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #19
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

First off that does not look like a repair to me or a respray. That looks factory oops, which could be a poorly finished bumper. The X6 does not go to "port" neither do the body panels. I would find another easier to deal with dealership and go there and explain the truth. Your delivery was a day with low light and you are just now seeing this and believe it came this way. Tell them buying dealer has no record of repair so you are held to assume this. Warranty should take care of this for you.

Forgot to add the orange peel looks like there was an issues with the paint at that time, premature evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup something like that.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #20
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

ah man, sorry to hear. another reminder to new purchasers to always check carefully when accepting their new car and the week after.

as mentioned, either defective paint or damage after delivery. someone tried to cover it up and succeed. unless its indeed defective paint and cracking started weeks after you received. Im not a paint expert, but someone with paint background might be able to tell if its defective paint or a poor repair job from the photos.

Im sure its cover by warranty, but I would make sure this gets repaired to original new condition, period! in your photos, it looks pretty bad, unacceptable. seem like its mineral white, that make matter worst/a challenge matching the rest of the car.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
First off that does not look like a repair to me or a respray. That looks factory oops, which could be a poorly finished bumper. The X6 does not go to "port" neither do the body panels. I would find another easier to deal with dealership and go there and explain the truth. Your delivery was a day with low light and you are just now seeing this and believe it came this way. Tell them buying dealer has no record of repair so you are held to assume this. Warranty should take care of this for you.

Forgot to add the orange peel looks like there was an issues with the paint at that time, premature evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
ah man, sorry to hear. another reminder to new purchasers to always check carefully when accepting their new car and the week after.

as mentioned, either defective paint or damage after delivery. someone tried to cover it up and succeed. unless its indeed defective paint and cracking started weeks after you received. Im not a paint expert, but someone with paint background might be able to tell if its defective paint or a poor repair job from the photos.

Im sure its cover by warranty, but I would make sure this gets repaired to original new condition, period! in your photos, it looks pretty bad, unacceptable. seem like its mineral white, that make matter worst/a challenge matching the rest of the car.
there you go, someone with some paint background
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #22
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post

I really doubt it is a "factory oops". Have a look at the black inserts, there are white stains on them i.e., the front bumper was locally repainted w/ black inserts in place.
Appreciate 0