BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

40i xline base- maybe helpful for ones who are deciding on options

So our X5 went in for service/recall/software update and we received a brand new X5 xline ~$65K as a loaner. After driving this, i'm glad we spend the extra $ for options... maybe we are just spoiled.

a few things i noticed. probably useful for anyone who is about to order. had it for 5 days and overall was okay, better than our older MDX. Definitely would not pay $65k for this car without some upgrades.

1) xline styling, imo looks okay, but we love our msport styling by far

2) it had standard suspension, day and night difference compared to our air susp. would not even consider the X5 without air or msport susp. the base suspension is laughable, imo.

3) no acoustical glass, sightly noticeable outside noise, still acceptable standard glass. wife didn't notice any difference.

4) love the strong "new car" smell, i believe its from the standard vernasca leather?? We have Merino and didn't have that strong of a smell. Still glad we got the Merino, so much softer

5) stitched sentec dash doesn't look bad and matches the vernasca leather texture very well. not a bad choice if merino is out of budget.

6) didn't come with laser light, which is a must have if your into design styling. I still think it was a big mistake BMW put these lights on any X5. they look okay in photos, but in person, these looks extremely cheap and the two inside faux lamps, wtf?!?

7) no heated steering wheel and armrest. it was around 50 degrees this morning and would of been nice to have it. not a "must have" but once your use to having it, you will miss it.

8) 20" rims with thicker pirellis, rides/road noise is much worst than our 21" runflats. maybe suspension.

9) after picking up our car, on the drive home i noticed a big difference in the steering compared to the loaner. Ours was much tighter, feel more "in control". not sure if its the IAS, tires/rims, or suspension.

items to not forget...
turn off lane intervention, we almost crashed on our first day driving this loaner
Appreciate 6
X5 45e1090.50
mcsa65.00
wtwo317971.00
Tenac4538.50
      03-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

No doubt every suspension upgrade BMW offers is well worth the money. But if you think the standard suspension, with its sway bars and active damping is "laughable," I'd suggest 2 things:

1. You've already been spoiled by BMW engineering in just a few months, and can now never go back to Acura

2. Drive any other brand then drive the X-Line again and I bet you feel much differently. At least, if you're referring to handling. Maybe different story if you're talking just about harshness over bumps.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
No doubt every suspension upgrade BMW offers is well worth the money. But if you think the standard suspension, with its sway bars and active damping is "laughable," I'd suggest 2 things:

1. You've already been spoiled by BMW engineering in just a few months, and can now never go back to Acura

2. Drive any other brand then drive the X-Line again and I bet you feel much differently. At least, if you're referring to handling. Maybe different story if you're talking just about harshness over bumps.
probably not going back to other brand since we are having the best experience one can as for on our X5! Barring on future experience and/or financial issues, we wont be switching anytime soon

Will never have to drive another xline unless they give me another x5 loaner. i usually request for a 5 series, so not a big deal. post is more for future buyers and not my concern on ever owning one less than what we have
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Great write up, to me the biggest thing as sad and small this might be. The Sport steering wheel with the thickness and comfort it has. Without it is a deal breaker for me on any other vehicle. LOL
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Great write up, to me the biggest thing as sad and small this might be. The Sport steering wheel with the thickness and comfort it has. Without it is a deal breaker for me on any other vehicle. LOL
i didnt have a big issue with thickness/comfort, but yes the comfort of the msport steering wheel feels soooo good. I do like the the design of standard steering wheel.

Last edited by dream54ing; 03-19-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      03-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

If the market doesn't recover, I'll be enjoying my X5 for awhile. Not putting on lot of miles since I retired. And I'm apparently one of the few that has experienced zero problems....everything works, even CarPlay.
Love the white interior & ambient lighting at night. Exterior not nearly as appealing (IMO) as my Macan or almost-purchased Cayenne, but my IRA was pleased.
Next? Possibly another 40i, but starting to think about the X3 M40i or X4 M40i...new 2020 power bump is sounding appealing. Pricing appears similar to the X5. Anyone have actual experience between the two?
Market's going to have to reverse trend in a BIG way to see that Cayenne S in my future.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
If the market doesn't recover, I'll be enjoying my X5 for awhile. Not putting on lot of miles since I retired. And I'm apparently one of the few that has experienced zero problems....everything works, even CarPlay.
Love the white interior & ambient lighting at night. Exterior not nearly as appealing (IMO) as my Macan or almost-purchased Cayenne, but my IRA was pleased.
Next? Possibly another 40i, but starting to think about the X3 M40i or X4 M40i...new 2020 power bump is sounding appealing. Pricing appears similar to the X5. Anyone have actual experience between the two?
Market's going to have to reverse trend in a BIG way to see that Cayenne S in my future.
no problems with the our car or market recovery, just giving my experience with a base model X5. Ours went in for its update on recall/software and annual oil service.
Appreciate 0