BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

How Not To Have To See This Default Screen Before Profile Page

Has anyone figured if it's possible not to have to see the screen that initially comes up when you first open the door to the car before the "Welcome" page wiht your name. It stays there for about 15 seconds or so unless you click the mouse to say OK to it's warning which makes it go away.

"Warning! Use this system only when traffic conditions permit. Safe vehicle operation is the driver's responsibility."

I've looked through all the settings and can't find anywhere to tell it not to show up again.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Are any of the threads about using BimmerCode to change some of your default features or personalize familiar to you or rings a bell?

I opened my BimmerCode app to see if the G05 was supported and it was listed...so I checked some of the things that could be coded. I scrolled down to WARNINGS and this is what it reveals. Hopefully some g05 owners that has used this app to code their X will chime in for verification:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
Has anyone figured if it's possible not to have to see the screen that initially comes up when you first open the door to the car before the "Welcome" page wiht your name. It stays there for about 15 seconds or so unless you click the mouse to say OK to it's warning which makes it go away.

"Warning! Use this system only when traffic conditions permit. Safe vehicle operation is the driver's responsibility."

I've looked through all the settings and can't find anywhere to tell it not to show up again.
You need to code it off. Bimmercode has it as an option, depending on your software version.

I know Bimmercode just updated in the last 48 hours and I have not checked it yet but prior to the update the ability to code this off was not available on 03.2020.xx. It was available on 07.2019.xx and earlier versions. I am not sure re 11.2019.xx as I never had it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

I do not have to acknowledge the warning, or say "OK". it goes away by itself as soon as I put the car in Drive or Reverse. I've only had the car about 3 weeks and only 1 day did i have to hit the button. I did not code anything out.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Are any of the threads about using BimmerCode to change some of your default features or personalize familiar to you or rings a bell?

I opened my BimmerCode app to see if the G05 was supported and it was listed...so I checked some of the things that could be coded. I scrolled down to WARNINGS and this is what it reveals. Hopefully some g05 owners that has used this app to code their X will chime in for verification:
Thanks Qsilver7 for this help.

I went into Bimmercode and it let me make the change. I then disconnected BC from the car, locked the car and left it for 30 minutes, then came out and unlocked it and that "warning" page is gone. It goes right to the Welcome 'My Name' page.

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:30 AM   #6
Ralph24
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i CB/Coffee Ext Mer

Garage List
2020 X5M50i  [0.00]
I'm picking up my M50i in a few days (it's on the truck from Spartanburg now) and once again find myself intrigued by all of the possibilities Bimmercode can offer. But I'm also a bit nervous about making these changes to a brand new car... especially one that's heavily software dependent. I'm fairly competent with technology, but...

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts, experiences, and tips in this regard. The good, the bad, and the ugly! Has anyone ever "blown up" an ECU? Can it go wrong or is there a failsafe? Has anyone accidentally broken their car? Dealer issues as a result of coding new, under warranty vehicles? Must have mods??

I live in Connecticut and while there is no official quarantine in place, many school districts are closed for two weeks, some businesses are closing, and I think I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands!

Thanks all - I just found this forum recently and appreciate all of your contributions. I look forward to adding mine soon!

2020 X5 M50i
1989 911 Cabrio
2015 Ram 1500
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph24 View Post
I'm picking up my M50i in a few days (it's on the truck from Spartanburg now) and once again find myself intrigued by all of the possibilities Bimmercode can offer. But I'm also a bit nervous about making these changes to a brand new car... especially one that's heavily software dependent. I'm fairly competent with technology, but...

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts, experiences, and tips in this regard. The good, the bad, and the ugly! Has anyone ever "blown up" an ECU? Can it go wrong or is there a failsafe? Has anyone accidentally broken their car? Dealer issues as a result of coding new, under warranty vehicles? Must have mods??

I live in Connecticut and while there is no official quarantine in place, many school districts are closed for two weeks, some businesses are closing, and I think I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands!

Thanks all - I just found this forum recently and appreciate all of your contributions. I look forward to adding mine soon!
Not to worry. BMW's have had the ability to code since I can't remember when. This offers owners the ability to customize their car to their liking. Used to be in the old days (and still is if you want) you would take your car to the dealer and they would code (customize) it for you for a fee. Bimmercode allows us to do it ourselves. Good thing too because today's customization permutations are endless compared to the dozen or so years ago.
Its just a database table within your cars many computes that you are changing, you are just swapping the OEM value as it left the factory for a different value that is already in your cars computers.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph24 View Post

I was apprehensive about coding at first too, but I've been doing it for the last few months now, and I'm very comfortable with it.

The coding in these cars isn't strictly "coding" in the sense of the word as associated with software engineering or development.

You are merely changing the configuration and settings of features in the car; that cannot be configured directly through the iDrive system, to better suit your personal needs. Essentially its "personalisaton", and in some instances you can actually expose features hidden by BMW because they were not ready for release with the earlier software versions.

I've exposed some great features, like:
=> Assisted Driver View (ADV)
=> Sports Plus (Sports+) driving mode for my Diesel/30d - since it doesn't come from the factory with that mode.
=> Alpina Instrument layout (damn awesome!)
=> Default driving mode to "Adaptive" (default at startup), instead of Comfort.
=> Enabled 5-flash indicator option

I've also been able to disable some annoying features - like that ridiculous warning message you get on the Control screen when you first get into the car, and Auto Stop/Start (ASS).

My only advice is stick to the mainstream config features supported in Bimmercode, and only use "Expert mode" very sparingly - as that is where could get yourself into trouble.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 03-14-2020 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Any idea why my warning message disappears by itself? i don't have to click on it. I'm not complaining mind you LOL just curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
THinthedesert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
Any idea why my warning message disappears by itself? i don't have to click on it. I'm not complaining mind you LOL just curious.
It is designed & programmed to do that or if you want it to disappear before that time (~10-15 seconds) you can click the OK button and it goes away. It just seemed annoying to me thus the reason I posed the question and now it doesn't appear thanks to Bimmercode.

I also disabled the Auto Start/Stop function to where it defaults to the last setting, and I also enabled the '5 flash" instead of '3 flash' function for the turn signal using Bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THinthedesert View Post
Thanks Qsilver7 for this help.

I went into Bimmercode and it let me make the change.
Great news...glad you were able to code it off.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0