BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
gokudo_90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

2020 X5 M50i Vs 2019 Cayenne S ( Owner POV)

Hey guys,

So i just purchased a 2020 X5 M50i after owning a 2019 cayenne S, and since many cross shop between the two i thought i would write a small review.

General comments:
- the cayenne S that i owned had all the handling features (pdcc, pasm, rear wheel steering, ptv+)
-the x5 has the comfort package(air suspension and rear wheel steering)not the dynamic handling package

Handling:
-immediately in the x5 you feel the car is huge compared to the cayenne
-rear wheel steering is much more prominent in the x5
-cayenne feels nimble and steering is precise while x5 feels like theres no feed back, but for everyday driving it doesn't really matter
-cayenne had an overall quieter cabin and noise insulation
-road noise is louder in x5 but can be due to 22" wheels compared to 21" on cayenne

Breaking:
Cayenne had the normal steel breaks, they were bad for a german car in my opinion, the breaks had alot of space till you felt pressure , it almost felt like driving a Japanese car(Lexus to be exact).

The x5 has better breaks in my opinion but both breaks aren't as good as an x5M or the higher breaks in porsche

Interior and infotainment:
-cayenne feels like they made the car and the interior electronics placement was an afterthought while the x5 feels like the whole car was made with everything taken into consideration.
-examples for the above:
-placement of volume knobe behind the gear lever that nobody notices and all the passengers use the control knobe instead
- the black glass on the center console , everyday on my way home from work, the sun just reflects directly from it to my eyes.
- no media control on steering wheel
- no media data on instrument cluster nor HUD
-the cup holders are between the gear lever and center armrest, where if u get any drink larger than small would make the armrest useless
-the ac sounds like a vacuum cleaner with out much effect.

Speakers
In both cars i took the middle level( bose in cayenne and HK in x5) both are fine, nothing wow

Seating:
The cayenne seats have a low center like ur in a sports car, the x5 is more up straight

Exhaust:
My cayenne didn't have the sport exhaust system as it wasn't available, but the X5 exhaust sound great, definitely wasn't expecting something like this.

Engine:
0 to 60, there no comparison the x5 wins by alot

Transmission:
The cayenne has one of the worst gear shifts ive drivin. Its obvious that Porsche is not used to programming the ZF transmission. They updated the transmission code and got a bit better but still very jerky car for that price
X5 is silky smooth

Instrument cluster:

The cayenne has two screens , the left one doesn't do anything execpt milage, the right screen has a map and some car info but no media or anything

Overall:

I did not have any regrets switching to the X5 , the cayenne felt good to drive enthusiastically but thats about it, day to day driving the x5 wins

Dont hesitate to ask for any other info you would like to know

Last edited by gokudo_90; 03-17-2020 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 8
nvsocr755.00
MystroX56289.50
chrisny546.50
VTENGR1052.50
radmjk240.50
edtreo88.50
Tenac4538.50
      03-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Great read. Any reason why you didn't opt for the Dynamic Handling Package on your X5? That would have been a closer match for the Porsche although it still might not beat it. If you were after comfort then it all makes sense.

I had the last gen X5M which comes with DHP standard and it felt so much smaller than regular X5 I had prior. I am hoping the M50i with DHP i have on order feels atleast 8/10th's like my X5M in the handling department which would be a perfect compromise between comfort and handling.

Alan
      03-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Edited to add break POV
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Great read. Any reason why you didn't opt for the Dynamic Handling Package on your X5? That would have been a closer match for the Porsche although it still might not beat it. If you were after comfort then it all makes sense.

I had the last gen X5M which comes with DHP standard and it felt so much smaller than regular X5 I had prior. I am hoping the M50i with DHP i have on order feels atleast 8/10th's like my X5M in the handling department which would be a perfect compromise between comfort and handling.

Alan
I had an issue with porsche dealer regarding the exhaust system where i paid upfront for it was promised that it could be retrofitted, but apparently all cayenne S before September 2018 cannot be fitted with it due to some hardware issue. So i had porsche buy back the car from me and went back to bmw.

If i hadn't bought the cayenne with all the handling options then i might have done DHP in the x5, but after trying the cayenne on track i realized that SUVs should be more oriented to comfort rather than sport driving, or atleast a something in between.

Thats one of the main reasons i didnt opt for x5m
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokudo_90 View Post
I had an issue with porsche dealer regarding the exhaust system where i paid upfront for it was promised that it could be retrofitted, but apparently all cayenne S before September 2018 cannot be fitted with it due to some hardware issue. So i had porsche buy back the car from me and went back to bmw.

If i hadn't bought the cayenne with all the handling options then i might have done DHP in the x5, but after trying the cayenne on track i realized that SUVs should be more oriented to comfort rather than sport driving, or atleast a something in between.

Thats one of the main reasons i didnt opt for x5m
You are not wrong. I can put a spoiler on a hammer but it won’t make it a better hammer. It’s all about the tool and what is it’s purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

After 3 BMWs I am doing the opposite and going to Porsche. The G05 was a disappointment to me, I was expecting a natural evolution from my F15, and to me it was a step down. Drove both a 50i and an E Hybrid Cayenne and the Cayenne won hands down. Of course this is all subjective and everyone has an opinion of their own, this is just my $0.2.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
I came from a 2016 Porsche Cayenne S to my 2020 X5 M50i. I too cross shopped the 2019 Cayenne S. To be honest, I don't miss the Porsche whatsoever. Currently, I have much more power and better infotainment system/ambiance than I had with my Porsche. I liked it while I had it, although I did have a few issues. Within a few days of ownership the headlights did not function properly giving errors and having to go to the dealer two times for them and were ultimately replaced. Also the rear passenger window mechanism broke after year two. The Porsche was not without rattles either. I believe that Porsche (correct me if I'm wrong) still does not offer Remote start, which I believe is a must with the Michigan climate. I actually could go on for sometime regarding all the benefits my G05 has over the comparable Cayenne.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
After 3 BMWs I am doing the opposite and going to Porsche. The G05 was a disappointment to me, I was expecting a natural evolution from my F15, and to me it was a step down. Drove both a 50i and an E Hybrid Cayenne and the Cayenne won hands down. Of course this is all subjective and everyone has an opinion of their own, this is just my $0.2.
I was in your shoes when i purchased the cayenne

I owned a 2006 630i, 2009 4.8i X5,2014 650i and currently own a 2017 M2

I thought its time for a change and took the cayenne. The X5 G05 wasnt released at that time.

And after trying both vehicles, i can safely say that in my opinion the X5 wins as a daily car
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Quote:
Hey guys,

So i just purchased a 2020 X5 M50i after owning a 2019 cayenne S, and since many cross shop between the two i thought i would write a small review.

General comments:
- the cayenne S that i owned had all the handling features (pdcc, pasm, rear wheel steering, ptv+)
-the x5 has the comfort package(air suspension and rear wheel steering)not the dynamic handling package

Handling:
-cayenne feels nimble and steering is precise while x5 feels like theres no feed back, but for everyday driving it doesn't really matter
-road noise is louder in x5 but can be due to 22" wheels compared to 21" on cayenne

Breaking:
Cayenne had the normal steel breaks, they were bad for a german car in my opinion, the breaks had alot of space till you felt pressure , it almost felt like driving a Japanese car(Lexus to be exact).

The x5 has better breaks in my opinion but both breaks aren't as good as an x5M or the higher breaks in porsche

-cayenne feels like they made the car and the interior electronics placement was an afterthought while the x5 feels like the whole car was made with everything taken into consideration.
-examples for the above:
-placement of volume knobe behind the gear lever that nobody notices and all the passengers use the control knobe instead
- the black glass on the center console , everyday on my way home from work, the sun just reflects directly from it to my eyes.
-the cup holders are between the gear lever and center armrest, where if u get any drink larger than small would make the armrest useless

Speakers
In both cars i took the middle level( bose in cayenne and HK in x5) both are fine, nothing wow

Seating:
The cayenne seats have a low center like ur in a sports car, the x5 is more up straight

Exhaust:
My cayenne didn't have the sport exhaust system as it wasn't available, but the X5 exhaust sound great, definitely wasn't expecting something like this.

Engine:

Transmission:
The cayenne has one of the worst gear shifts ive drivin. Its obvious that Porsche is not used to programming the ZF transmission. They updated the transmission code and got a bit better but still very jerky car for that price
X5 is silky smooth

Instrument cluster:

The cayenne has two screens , the left one doesn't do anything execpt milage, the right screen has a map and some car info but no media or anything

Overall:

I did not have any regrets switching to the X5 , the cayenne felt good to drive enthusiastically but thats about it, day to day driving the x5 wins

Knowing what you now know, would you go DHP or air suspension if you were building? I am completely battling myself between the two.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #10
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was in your shoes when i purchased the cayenne

I owned a 2006 630i, 2009 4.8i X5,2014 650i and currently own a 2017 M2

I thought its time for a change and took the cayenne. The X5 G05 wasnt released at that time.

And after trying both vehicles, i can safely say that in my opinion the X5 wins as a daily car
We shall see if I made a mistake. I had an Audi S6 in between my F15 and current G01, so I could still end up back at the roundel. Keeping the G01 as it will become my husband's commuter.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

Having been a BMW owner since for 30 years, I've seen a lot of models come and go. What is almost always the case when a new model comes out, is owners from the previous model badmouthing the new model with comments like it ugly, it is too soft, BMW has lost its way, its too big, etc. I'm guilty of this myself. When the E60 came out, I hated it for every possible reason.

The one model that seems to get less of this badmouthing from previous generation owners is the G05. Other than the initial software glitches and wrinklegate, I've not noticed very many negative comments about the G05 compared to the X15.

You say its a step down and I certainly respect your opinion. I'm frankly surprised that there are not more X15 owners sharing their love for the X15 over the G05 on this forum.

I love the G05. My wife drives it but I find myself having excuses to borrow it.

Good luck with your Porsche experience. It's a fine car too. It's a great time to be a car buyer.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Cayenne doesn't make sense

I know a lot of forum posters do cross-shop the X5 and Cayenne, but I really don't think the comparison is at straightforward as it seems. The Cayenne base is pretty slow, almost a full second slower to 60 than a 40i X5 (C&D tested) and slower still than even the GLE 450. By the time a base Cayenne is optioned up to compete with a fully optioned X5 40i, the base Cayenne costs around 100K.

For the Cayenne S, it's only incrementally faster than the 40i, and the 50i blows it out of the water on performance. There's some driving feel subjectivity, so I'll grant you that. However, in terms of feature comparison, an X5 M50i with basically every option is $104K. I just built an S on the Porsche configurator, and a comparable S lands at around 125K-130K, and that's without the Porsche dynamic chassis control and some other creature comforts the X5 doesn't get. That's X5M Competition territory.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can someone who favors the Cayenne explain how the $20K-30K price delta between the two vehicles is justified? Are you just buying a stripper Cayenne?

And, let's not forget that Porsches lease poorly (and have max residualized MSRP) and have way, way fewer discounts than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #13
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

Having been a BMW owner since for 30 years, I've seen a lot of models come and go. What is almost always the case when a new model comes out, is owners from the previous model badmouthing the new model with comments like it ugly, it is too soft, BMW has lost its way, its too big, etc. I'm guilty of this myself. When the E60 came out, I hated it for every possible reason.

The one model that seems to get less of this badmouthing from previous generation owners is the G05. Other than the initial software glitches and wrinklegate, I've not noticed very many negative comments about the G05 compared to the X15.

You say its a step down and I certainly respect your opinion. I'm frankly surprised that there are not more X15 owners sharing their love for the X15 over the G05 on this forum.

I love the G05. My wife drives it but I find myself having excuses to borrow it.

Good luck with your Porsche experience. It's a fine car too. It's a great time to be a car buyer.
I had an F25 X3, my G01 X3 is miles better. I was assuming the G05 would also be miles better than my F15, to me, it wasn't. Steering wasn't as precise, brakes weren't as grabby and immediate and the G05 drove big. I never really felt the size of my F15 unless I was turning quickly, the G05 felt big and heavy even in slight bends. I will say I was never able to drive one with DHP, so maybe that would fix the problems I have, but at this point, going to go Cayenne and see how that goes.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #14
helat
Rep
Drives: e class

Quote:
Hey guys,

General comments:

Handling:

Breaking:

-examples for the above:

Speakers

Seating:

Exhaust:

Engine:

Transmission:
X5 is silky smooth

Instrument cluster:

Overall:

I am just cross shopping between cayenne base and x5 40i and you are rare one who had already owner cayenne and now owning x5...
What is difference between these two cars in terms of ride comfort on potholed roads? I hate stiff and noisy cars on potholed roads... I see in both cara you had/have air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #15
Ralph24
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i CB/Coffee Ext Mer

Garage List
2020 X5M50i  [0.00]
DHP is definitely the game changer. I drove a 50i without it (it had air) and an M50i with it. It’s like comparing apples to bowling balls. As far as the X5 vs Cayenne - I agree with those who say that in this class of vehicles it’s all about finding the perfect blend of comfort and performance.

FWIW, my M50i should be at the dealer today. I’m trading in a 2019 Audi Q8 which I dislike for too many reasons to list. Yeah, it’s an Audi, but it’s built on the identical platform to the Cayenne - I’d put it similar in handling to a base Cayenne.

My biggest gripe on the Audi - which would have been the same on a Cayenne... the all glass controls. Not a single hard button. Add in some wacky programming (multiple touches to open a garage door for instance) and the car becomes a nuisance.

I can’t wait to post an update after driving my X5!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #16
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKittrell View Post
Knowing what you now know, would you go DHP or air suspension if you were building? I am completely battling myself between the two.
it depends on your needs in the end, my needs at the time was for something in between sport and comfort, the DHP might make the car drive like a sports car, but do you need to drive it like that?

i went the DHP road with the cayenne, and realized at the end nothing will match a sports car, which is why i kept my M2
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #17
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helat View Post
I am just cross shopping between cayenne base and x5 40i and you are rare one who had already owner cayenne and now owning x5...
What is difference between these two cars in terms of ride comfort on potholed roads? I hate stiff and noisy cars on potholed roads... I see in both cara you had/have air suspension.
my daily commute is filled with potholes and uneven roads, i would say without a doubt in my mind that the cayenne with PASM,PDCC and 21" wheels was more comfortable than the X5 with air suspension and 22" wheels.

and if you check the original post, the cabin of the cayenne is alot quieter
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had an F25 X3, my G01 X3 is miles better. I was assuming the G05 would also be miles better than my F15, to me, it wasn't. Steering wasn't as precise, brakes weren't as grabby and immediate and the G05 drove big. I never really felt the size of my F15 unless I was turning quickly, the G05 felt big and heavy even in slight bends. I will say I was never able to drive one with DHP, so maybe that would fix the problems I have, but at this point, going to go Cayenne and see how that goes.
in terms of size, yes i would say its extremely noticeable compared to the cayenne, but for the breaks, if you are taking the normal breaks then i would suggest you test drive on with them, they just felt spungy and are less grabby than the breaks on the M50i.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #19
helat
Rep
Drives: e class

Quote:
my daily commute is filled with potholes and uneven roads, i would say without a doubt in my mind that the cayenne with PASM,PDCC and 21" wheels was more comfortable than the X5 with air suspension and 22" wheels.

and if you check the original post, the cabin of the cayenne is alot quieter
Did u have acoustic glass in cayenne? Have you acoustic glass in x5 now?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #20
gokudo_90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helat View Post
Did u have acoustic glass in cayenne? Have you acoustic glass in x5 now?
i do not believe acoustic glass was an option on the cayenne, maybe it was standard in the cayenne S as i cannot see it in my build sheet.

regarding the X5, just checked in the VIN decoder website and theres no mention of it.

so ill assume both dont have acoustic glass
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #21
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
in terms of size, yes i would say its extremely noticeable compared to the cayenne, but for the breaks, if you are taking the normal breaks then i would suggest you test drive on with them, they just felt spungy and are less grabby than the breaks on the M50i.
I was comparing an M Sport to another M Sport. I had an F15 xDrive 35i M Sport and test drove a G05 50i M Sport, so I was comparing BMW standard brakes to BMW standard brakes. The G05 brakes were awful. Shouldn't need to spend money to upgrade brakes between models when the previous models base brakes were good. The 2 Cayenne E Hybrids I drove had the base brakes, and both worked flawlessly, with none of the noises that people have complained about over on Rennlist.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #22
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

Couldn't agree more. In that, I have some additional context here.

First, Im sitting with a G05 today and love it. Second, the last few SUV/SAVs I have had include an F85 X5M, and a Cayenne GTS. In fact, I have had several Porsches and BMWs over the last few years...M6, X5M, X5, 911 TT, Cayenne GTS etc (its a sickness).

I think that the disparity between the Cayenne and practically any other SUV was clear circa 2012 to 2018. Frankly despite the tech shortcomings, the Cayenne was a far superior vehicle when comparing fit, finish, and driving experience to other utility vehicles. It was an SUV that acted like a 911 on stilts. The exception came along in 2015 when BMW launched the F85 X5M. It was comparable to, and in many respects a better vehicle overall. At the very least comparable, with nuances that would be more personal choice than a category failure.

The G05 a a 'double down' moment for BMW...and that's just the basic versions as the X5M hasn't really hit the street yet. Configuring like to like with base model considerations, the Cayenne may be a slightly better car. That said, it will set you back a good $15K to $20K with a like to like comparison...so, the G05 is WAY better value. On the higher end, when you build out a full load TT Cayenne vs an X5M Comp, you start to see something more like a $50K delta to get the Porsche badge, and there is simply very little difference between the 2. Frankly the Cayenne exterior looks kind of dated and the new G05 platform looks great, but I digress with opinion.

For additional perspective, consider that the base 40i G05 is more performant than the Audi SQ5...BMW just got this one right.
Appreciate 0