BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #23
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
Couldn't agree more. In that, I have some additional context here.

First, Im sitting with a G05 today and love it. Second, the last few SUV/SAVs I have had include an F85 X5M, and a Cayenne GTS. In fact, I have had several Porsches and BMWs over the last few years...M6, X5M, X5, 911 TT, Cayenne GTS etc (its a sickness).

I think that the disparity between the Cayenne and practically any other SUV was clear circa 2012 to 2018. Frankly despite the tech shortcomings, the Cayenne was a far superior vehicle when comparing fit, finish, and driving experience to other utility vehicles. It was an SUV that acted like a 911 on stilts. The exception came along in 2015 when BMW launched the F85 X5M. It was comparable to, and in many respects a better vehicle overall. At the very least comparable, with nuances that would be more personal choice than a category failure.

The G05 a a 'double down' moment for BMW...and that's just the basic versions as the X5M hasn't really hit the street yet. Configuring like to like with base model considerations, the Cayenne may be a slightly better car. That said, it will set you back a good $15K to $20K with a like to like comparison...so, the G05 is WAY better value. On the higher end, when you build out a full load TT Cayenne vs an X5M Comp, you start to see something more like a $50K delta to get the Porsche badge, and there is simply very little difference between the 2. Frankly the Cayenne exterior looks kind of dated and the new G05 platform looks great, but I digress with opinion.

For additional perspective, consider that the base 40i G05 is more performant than the Audi SQ5...BMW just got this one right.

That's great perspective. Thanks. I'm loving mine too. I can understand why she wants to skip the G05 in favor of the Cayenne. She said the G05 "drives big" and compared to the Cayenne it does feel large. For me personally, the G05 size and feel is perfect.

We should all drive what we like. For her, the Cayenne is ringing her chimes at the moment. Its nice to have such amazing choices as car buyers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #24
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
Couldn't agree more. In that, I have some additional context here.

First, Im sitting with a G05 today and love it. Second, the last few SUV/SAVs I have had include an F85 X5M, and a Cayenne GTS. In fact, I have had several Porsches and BMWs over the last few years...M6, X5M, X5, 911 TT, Cayenne GTS etc (its a sickness).

I think that the disparity between the Cayenne and practically any other SUV was clear circa 2012 to 2018. Frankly despite the tech shortcomings, the Cayenne was a far superior vehicle when comparing fit, finish, and driving experience to other utility vehicles. It was an SUV that acted like a 911 on stilts. The exception came along in 2015 when BMW launched the F85 X5M. It was comparable to, and in many respects a better vehicle overall. At the very least comparable, with nuances that would be more personal choice than a category failure.

The G05 a a 'double down' moment for BMW...and that's just the basic versions as the X5M hasn't really hit the street yet. Configuring like to like with base model considerations, the Cayenne may be a slightly better car. That said, it will set you back a good $15K to $20K with a like to like comparison...so, the G05 is WAY better value. On the higher end, when you build out a full load TT Cayenne vs an X5M Comp, you start to see something more like a $50K delta to get the Porsche badge, and there is simply very little difference between the 2. Frankly the Cayenne exterior looks kind of dated and the new G05 platform looks great, but I digress with opinion.

For additional perspective, consider that the base 40i G05 is more performant than the Audi SQ5...BMW just got this one right.

That's great perspective. Thanks. I'm loving mine too. I can understand why she wants to skip the G05 in favor of the Cayenne. She said the G05 "drives big" and compared to the Cayenne it does feel large. For me personally, the G05 size and feel is perfect.

We should all drive what we like. For her, the Cayenne is ringing her chimes at the moment. Its nice to have such amazing choices as car buyers.
Eh, to me the G05 is a step down to the F15. I buy vehicles that I perceive to handle well, tech isn't the biggest deal to me and so is way down on the list for deciding factors. I really don't care about the badge, drive the same no matter what name is on the vehicle. I should also add, I really don't know where the interior space went to with the size increase on the G05. The X5 will barely fit into my single bay garage (tip, do not put in single bay garage doors when building your house, my 3 car garage is huge, but limited by access) will not have that problem with the Cayenne. I may be making a mistake and get another BMW, but I am also not a single make fan girl and that opens up some other brands that may be just as good. Last side note, back up vehicles to the Cayenne are the G12 7 Series, an Audi RS6, and an MB E63S wagon.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #25
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Eh, to me the G05 is a step down to the F15. I buy vehicles that I perceive to handle well, tech isn't the biggest deal to me and so is way down on the list for deciding factors. I really don't care about the badge, drive the same no matter what name is on the vehicle. I should also add, I really don't know where the interior space went to with the size increase on the G05. The X5 will barely fit into my single bay garage (tip, do not put in single bay garage doors when building your house, my 3 car garage is huge, but limited by access) will not have that problem with the Cayenne. I may be making a mistake and get another BMW, but I am also not a single make fan girl and that opens up some other brands that may be just as good. Last side note, back up vehicles to the Cayenne are the G12 7 Series, an Audi RS6, and an MB E63S wagon.

Good for you. If you think of any other important points we unfortunate G05 owners need to hear, please come back to us and share.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      03-18-2020, 10:05 PM   #26
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
The G05 brakes were awful. Shouldn't need to spend money to upgrade brakes between models when the previous models base brakes were good. The 2 Cayenne E Hybrids I drove had the base brakes, and both worked flawlessly, with none of the noises that people have complained about over on Rennlist.
Quote:
Eh, to me the G05 is a step down to the F15. I buy vehicles that I perceive to handle well, tech isn't the biggest deal to me and so is way down on the list for deciding factors.
I have had pretty much the opposite experiences - I skipped the F15 after owning E53 and E70 X5s - I felt BMW had really let go in terms of handling. To me that was the worst handling of all the X5 generations. After trying the G05 it felt like they made big improvements there.

As for the Cayenne brakes - I test drove a new S and 2x new E Hybrids last month before buying my X6. I really wanted to love that car. It handled great, but everything else was a disappointment based on my expectations and the brakes were maybe one of my biggest gripes. Whilst effective, they were way too grabby for the type of car it is. The car almost juddered to a stop sometimes. I tried both the standard brakes and those upgraded brakes they do which are a step below full carbon ceramic (can't recall the nomenclature). I spent hours reading forums regarding experiences with the brakes trying to convince myself I would get used to them. In the end, I found I was trying too hard to convince myself on the car in general.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #27
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

Good for you. If you think of any other important points we unfortunate G05 owners need to hear, please come back to us and share.
Was responding to someone else, maybe don't read it if another's opinion bothers you. Was just posting an opinion anyway, as the OP did originally.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #28
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
The G05 brakes were awful. Shouldn't need to spend money to upgrade brakes between models when the previous models base brakes were good. The 2 Cayenne E Hybrids I drove had the base brakes, and both worked flawlessly, with none of the noises that people have complained about over on Rennlist.
Quote:
Eh, to me the G05 is a step down to the F15. I buy vehicles that I perceive to handle well, tech isn't the biggest deal to me and so is way down on the list for deciding factors.
I have had pretty much the opposite experiences - I skipped the F15 after owning E53 and E70 X5s - I felt BMW had really let go in terms of handling. To me that was the worst handling of all the X5 generations. After trying the G05 it felt like they made big improvements there.

As for the Cayenne brakes - I test drove a new S and 2x new E Hybrids last month before buying my X6. I really wanted to love that car. It handled great, but everything else was a disappointment based on my expectations and the brakes were maybe one of my biggest gripes. Whilst effective, they were way too grabby for the type of car it is. The car almost juddered to a stop sometimes. I tried both the standard brakes and those upgraded brakes they do which are a step below full carbon ceramic (can't recall the nomenclature). I spent hours reading forums regarding experiences with the brakes trying to convince myself I would get used to them. In the end, I found I was trying too hard to convince myself on the car in general.
I had wanted to love the G05, as I was assuming that it would be my 4th BMW. It looks good, interior is nice, but something was just missing. I really hope they don't go nuts with the grill the next update, as I will consider one again when looking for a new vehicle.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #29
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Was responding to someone else, maybe don't read it if another's opinion bothers you. Was just posting an opinion anyway, as the OP did originally.
I think we all get comfortable with the choices we make - or buyers remorse sets in.

Its OK to agree to disagree. That said, I think that it's likely gonna create friction when you dive into a thread of G05 owners who love their choice and tell them that it's a step backwards. Say the same thing on the VW site discussing the 3rd gen Cayenne and I'm guessing you would get a lots who will agree with you.

FWIW the E-Hybrid is a nice ride, but it's really just a Cayenne S with some engine tech that caters to a different audience. So, it really needs to be compared to an M50i. Even then, the Porsche has a price delta that on paper just doesn't make sense; probably fair to call it an 'emotional tax'.
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1313.50
sygazelle11345.50
      03-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #30
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Same thoughts on the F15. Drove it at launch and after having and loving my 2 prior v8 X5s, couldn't do it so opted for a 550i followed by a 540i (which was plagued with new model problems) all while keeping a 911 as a 2nd car.

This time around I was surely getting the updated Cayenne as I'm a Porsche fan and wanted a SUV but not an F15. The Cayenne is a lot of car for a lot of money. I really liked the exterior (still favor over x5) and handling but then I saw the G05... It was too good.

Met up with my Porsche dealer/friend and told him what I did with the M50 and he just stopped and said "we can't compete"...

The M50i is a beast and so happy I went that route. I never test drove one or even heard one cold start before purchasing and based most of my decisions off this site.
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11345.50
Skilly40.00
      03-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #31
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post

Met up with my Porsche dealer/friend and told him what I did with the M50 and he just stopped and said "we can't compete"...
Funny! The GM at my local Porsche dealer is a good friend. They must be comparing notes.
Appreciate 0