BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #23
mynewx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I shoved my V1 into a desk drawer years ago due to the ridiculous amount of false alarms due to drug stores, other vehicles, etc. I find it unusable in city driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #24
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
Have you called valentine ?
No, but I have two active threads on RD Forum one of which is in the V1 group.

I contemplated trying out a Radenso Pro M, but I got an official reply saying they intentionally tame their laser capacity to avoid falses from sources outside one's own vehicle like taillights.

Some testing has shown that the RL EX is second to V1 when picking up laser scatter. However, I sold my original RL because the K falses were ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #25
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
No, but I have two active threads on RD Forum one of which is in the V1 group.

I contemplated trying out a Radenso Pro M, but I got an official reply saying they intentionally tame their laser capacity to avoid falses from sources outside one's own vehicle like taillights.

Some testing has shown that the RL EX is second to V1 when picking up laser scatter. However, I sold my original RL because the K falses were ridiculous.
i am going to be super upset if i will not be able to use my v1 specially i just recently updated it with the latest version. which costed me another i think $300
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx5 View Post
I shoved my V1 into a desk drawer years ago due to the ridiculous amount of false alarms due to drug stores, other vehicles, etc. I find it unusable in city driving.
My Uniden R3 is my primary detector because it is the king of distance for WS RDs. The R3 firmware upgrades are frequent and it comes with a red light database.

However, I would not travel without V1 and the arrows. The issues you mention can be addressed by adding a dongle and using an app like VIDriver. Then one can easily configure the V1 for various settings that can be selected on the fly. This also allows one to block out known falses.

I personally am willing to live with some V1 falsing because I would rather decide how to respond to an alert so I can judge what to do given my context. Since the V1Drive has an Apple Watch app, I can turn off the audio and simply glance at my watch to determine the threat direction, type of radar/lidar, and ramp up. Of course, one can simply look up at the V1 when placed in a blendmount below the RVM but those data are incomplete compared to the apps.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #27
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
i am going to be super upset if i will not be able to use my v1 specially i just recently updated it with the latest version. which costed me another i think $300
Well, I invested in an expensive hardwire install but do not consider my V1 less of a secondary RD if I must disable laser. I do not expect the R3 to pick up laser scatter, but Waze and EL can help fill the gap.

It sounds like you should have sold you V1 on Ebay as they go for a premium price in some international markets. The amount then owned for a new one should have been less than $300 if yours was marketed well and you got an anxious buyer. Of course, some Ebay buyers do not know anything about pre-ESP V1s much less dongles or apps.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #28
denniss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Well, I invested in an expensive hardwire install but do not consider my V1 less of a secondary RD if I must disable laser. I do not expect the R3 to pick up laser scatter, but Waze and EL can help fill the gap.

It sounds like you should have sold you V1 on Ebay as they go for a premium price in some international markets. The amount then owned for a new one should have been less than $300 if yours was marketed well and you got an anxious buyer. Of course, some Ebay buyers do not know anything about pre-ESP V1s much less dongles or apps.
Too late now
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
Xeno
Major
Rep

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/82550/

My thread on RDF includes various suggestions, some of which might work for various G05 drivers who depend on the V1.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #30
Therealmatzaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

I think I got it (Mickey mouse)

Ok, there’s no question this looks ghetto as hell. But until we figure out a better way this little shield setup seems to do the trick. I didn’t disable any features in the car like gesture, etc. I also didn’t disable laser.

All quiet. I don’t think the laser is going to be hindered at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealmatzaman View Post
Ok, there’s no question this looks ghetto as hell. But until we figure out a better way this little shield setup seems to do the trick. I didn’t disable any features in the car like gesture, etc. I also didn’t disable laser.

Lol. Yes pretty ghetto but clever.

The rear laser sensor is between the number counter and the band identifier. About center of the detector. The tinted window on the right is the rear radar horn antenna. If this truly does the trick, could be a reflected IR output from something on the dash or the center console.

I'd try covering the console and areas of the dash to see if you can narrow it down. Cover with an opaque solid material where the IR cannot bleed through.
      12-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #32
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for laying this out so clearly. It was recommended to me on RDForum, but I wasn't sure I could handle the look.

So no more laser falses from inside the G05? Can you still pick up forward laser scatter?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #33
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Good info however all it takes to set off a detectors laser circuit is infrared in the wavelength similar to LIDAR. This is why some Led car lamps can trigger a detector. If BMW is using LEDs that emit IR, this could be the cause.
Hence why I specified the additional IR/ToF units excluding the Rain/Solar Sensor since that's been around for so long. Instead of guessing, grab a roll of electrical tape and determine which is the issue. With different options come different sources.

Front false radar is probably limited to Active Driving Assistant Professional when Intersection Collision Warning is Active.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, there's no question this looks ghetto as hell. But until we figure out a better way this little shield setup seems to do the trick. I didn't disable any features in the car like gesture, etc. I also didn't disable laser.

All quiet. I don't think the laser is going to be hindered at all.

The rear laser sensor is between the number counter and the band identifier. About center of the detector. The tinted window on the right is the rear radar horn antenna. If this truly does the trick, could be a reflected IR output from something on the dash or the center console.

I'd try covering the console and areas of the dash to see if you can narrow it down. Cover with an opaque solid material where the IR cannot bleed through.
That won't work for Gesture Recognition false rear Laser. There's nowhere to mount it that doesn't place the detector sensor within the cabin IR zone. That would resolve the touchscreen scatter IR false returns.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
Good info however all it takes to set off a detectors laser circuit is infrared in the wavelength similar to LIDAR. This is why some Led car lamps can trigger a detector. If BMW is using LEDs that emit IR, this could be the cause.
Hence why I specified the additional IR/ToF units excluding the Rain/Solar Sensor since that's been around for so long. Instead of guessing, grab a roll of electrical tape and determine which is the issue. With different options come different sources.

Front false radar is probably limited to Active Driving Assistant Professional when Intersection Collision Warning is Active.

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, there's no question this looks ghetto as hell. But until we figure out a better way this little shield setup seems to do the trick. I didn't disable any features in the car like gesture, etc. I also didn't disable laser.

That won't work for Gesture Recognition false rear Laser. There's nowhere to mount it that doesn't place the detector sensor within the cabin IR zone. That would resolve the touchscreen scatter IR false returns.
I agree you've identified the obvious sources. After reading this thread I'm leaning towards an unconventional source of IR. Maybe something mounted in the console or overhead lamp assembly.... I'm thinking outside the box on this at the moment.

Others have said they disabled gesture control and it still falsed. However disabling the option might not disable the hardware.... In which case pulling fuses might be required to eliminate potential sources.
      12-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #35
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I agree you've identified the obvious sources. After reading this thread I'm leaning towards an unconventional source of IR. Maybe something mounted in the console or overhead lamp assembly.... I'm thinking outside the box on this at the moment.

Others have said they disabled gesture control and it still falsed. However disabling the option might not disable the hardware.... In which case pulling fuses might be required to eliminate potential sources.
Turning Gesture Control off only disables response, it does not shut the system off.

Touchscreen is also a culprit due to scatter and as has been mentioned, scatter from the Driver Monitoring Camera bouncing off the driver.

There is no need to pull fuses when electrical tape works where hardware cannot be disabled.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #36
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Turning Gesture Control off only disables response, it does not shut the system off.

Touchscreen is also a culprit due to scatter and as has been mentioned, scatter from the Driver Monitoring Camera bouncing off the driver.

There is no need to pull fuses when electrical tape works where hardware cannot be disabled.
Then where would you put electrical tape to block any IR from gesture control?

Pulling fuses gives you a definitive answer as to whether a system is on or off.

Another poster already said they get flashing and they don't have the driver monitor camera in their car.

Meanwhile my V1 has no falsing trouble in a 540i with gesture control. Maybe the new X5 has Gen 2 hardware?
      12-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #37
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Pulling fuses gives you a definitive answer as to whether a system is on or off.

Another poster already said they get flashing and they don't have the driver monitor camera in their car.

Meanwhile my V1 has no falsing trouble in a 540i with gesture control. Maybe the new X5 has Gen 2 hardware?
You'd cover the Gesture Recognition Camera and IR emitters (#1 on the overhead control).

For touchscreen, there's 3x transmitters/receivers clustered on either side of the screen.

V1 with rear laser enabled in a G30 with Gesture Recognition and no false alerts? That would be a first.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #38
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You'd cover the Gesture Recognition Camera and IR emitters (#1 on the overhead control).

For touchscreen, there's 3x transmitters/receivers clustered on either side of the screen.

V1 with rear laser enabled in a G30 with Gesture Recognition and no false alerts? That would be a first.
The V1 has only been in the car once for a road trip, over a couple days. Otherwise it's not used much due to Waze being a suitable alternative.

I know the V1 laser sensor works because I've tested it with an IR emitter.
      01-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #39
Xeno
Major
Rep

I just saw this Uniden R7 prototype that when it hits the market could make the V1 and certainly the Escort 360 obsolete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #40
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I just had my service guy disconnect gesture control. It was a waste to me. Detector problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #41
denniss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
I just had my service guy disconnect gesture control. It was a waste to me. Detector problem solved.
How did he do it ? I've tried that via command and it didn't help
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #42
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
He manually disconnected the wiring in the overhead panel
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #43
denniss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
He manually disconnected the wiring in the overhead panel
Ah from the sensor. I see
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #44
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
What RD are you using?
Appreciate 0