BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Help please - new to PPF and ceramic paint protection

Hi - I've been reading many threads on this forum, across the interweb, and have spoken to some local shops, but would like to get views on doing the PPF vs Ceramic - or why would you do both?

I like the idea of having the extra protection of the PPF, but it seems overkill.

Conversely, I like the idea of having an easy wash and nice look with the ceramic coat.

Any views or educational inputs are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
PPF is the best protection for rock chips and scratches hands down. Ceramic is good for helping keep the car clean and reducing swirling when properly taken care of. I'm getting PPF on the full front of my car and ceramic everywhere else including the wheels and brake calipers.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

AR - thanks. So they will do the PPF first and then the ceramic on the exposed paint?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
PPF is the best protection for rock chips and scratches hands down. Ceramic is good for helping keep the car clean and reducing swirling when properly taken care of. I'm getting PPF on the full front of my car and ceramic everywhere else including the wheels and brake calipers.
Do you find the costs associated with PPF to be worth it?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
AR - thanks. So they will do the PPF first and then the ceramic on the exposed paint?
PPF then ceramic. you'll only do ceramic over PPF to help repel water it's not really needed since any good sealant or was will do the same. Elsewhere I'd do ceramic if it's a darker color but I only hand wash my car
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
PPF then ceramic. you'll only do ceramic over PPF to help repel water it's not really needed since any good sealant or was will do the same. Elsewhere I'd do ceramic if it's a darker color but I only hand wash my car
Thanks - I'm getting Phytonic Blue.

I'm considering doing the PPF, full hood and full front, coverage shown here as the "Hood & Bumper Kit", runs about $1750 for Suntek Ultra.

https://www.sunbusterstint.com/autom...int-protection

Or I'm still on the fence about just doing the ceramic (full coverage) and getting the PPF later.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm considering doing the PPF, full hood and full front, coverage shown here as the "Hood & Bumper Kit", runs about $1750 for Suntek Ultra.

Or I'm still on the fence about just doing the ceramic (full coverage) and getting the PPF later.
full frontal PPF is about that much I'm getting a little more than just he front though. My door handles. door cups, side skirts, roof between the Windshield and sunroof and rear bumper will also be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good to know. I think I would add A-pillars and the roof brow, at a minimum.

On the ceramic coating, is there a specific type/brand to look for (or to avoid)?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Help please - new to PPF and ceramic paint protection

Quote:
Good to know. I think I would add A-pillars and the roof brow, at a minimum.

On the ceramic coating, is there a specific type/brand to look for (or to avoid)?
a pillars are included in the full front wrap, at least they should be which is why I didn't mention them.

as for ceramic, I like Feynlabs personally
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The shop I am looking at uses C.Quartz. I'll see what I can find out about those two brands. ~$2000-$2500 for full coverage.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

I mentioned in another thread that I think as long as you go mainstream with the ceramic, it's all pretty much the same. Some claim 2yr warranty some 7yr. But it's all about maintaining the paint well.

I did full front ppf (xpel ultimate plus), and opticoat pro plus over the whole car including rims and tires, and glassparancy on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
The shop I am looking at uses C.Quartz. I'll see what I can find out about those two brands. ~$2000-$2500 for full coverage.
Cquartz isn't a very durable coating. You'll get a year tops. I personally use GTechniq coating and get at least 3 years of use before a polish and recoat. Crystal Serum top coated with EXO is an amazing combo, both GTechniq products. Another good one is IGL Kenzo, it doesn't last as long as the GTechniq though.

01-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You want to do PPF before you get any scrapes or rock chips. If you get rock chips, then touch them up, the film won't lay flat and the touch ups will look more pronounced. Suntek Ultra and Dynoshield STECK are the top two films currently. Their top coat is smooth and glossy, the Suntek Ultra is slightly hydrophobic, but the STECK is extremely hydrophobic. I've been using Suntek for 3 or 4 years and love it, but STECK has really impressed me and that's what I went with on the G05. Here's a pic of the reflection off the STEK film. Notice how smooth it is with no orange peel like you'll see with XPEL Ultimate Plus.
Attached Images

01-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #14
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I personally use GTechniq coating and get at least 3 years of use before a polish and recoat.
Thanks - this is very helpful and is directly applicable as I try to decide whether it's worth it to me.

The PPF is $1800 and lasts several years (warranty is 10 years). It protects against rock chips, etc. that can add up to real cosmetic damage. All my prior vehicles end up with a handful of these nicks after several years of Austin/DFW trips.

The ceramic is $2,000 - $2,500 and lasts maybe 3 years. It's cosmetic (it does look great, no argument there), but it's a significant ongoing annual cost (based on your comment).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #15
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

A friend of a friend who works at BMW sent me Ceramic Pro 9H gratis. Supposedly it creates a permanent bond and can only be removed by severe abrasion. They guarantee it for life. The guy who put it on said even if it's 10 years from now, they'll touch it up if something happens. I've never done ceramic before, so just went with his advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #16
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I personally use GTechniq coating and get at least 3 years of use before a polish and recoat.
Thanks - this is very helpful and is directly applicable as I try to decide whether it's worth it to me.

The PPF is $1800 and lasts several years (warranty is 10 years). It protects against rock chips, etc. that can add up to real cosmetic damage. All my prior vehicles end up with a handful of these nicks after several years of Austin/DFW trips.

The ceramic is $2,000 - $2,500 and lasts maybe 3 years. It's cosmetic (it does look great, no argument there), but it's a significant ongoing annual cost (based on your comment).
That price seems ridiculous for the ceramic coating. Unless that includes a paint correction (to remove swirls and imperfections) and involves them applying a "permanent" coating, I would spend the money. You can buy an easy to apply coating for under $100 that lasts 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think that price is typical for a professional application (but others may correct me). That actually assumes straight from dealer (and dealer does not wash/prep) - so NO paint correction included in that price.

Edit - as I posted below, I found a national chain that will do GTechniq with lifetime guarantee for $1150 - way cheaper than the above quotes.

Last edited by beermato; 01-15-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #18
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
A friend of a friend who works at BMW sent me Ceramic Pro 9H gratis. Supposedly it creates a permanent bond and can only be removed by severe abrasion. They guarantee it for life. The guy who put it on said even if it's 10 years from now, they'll touch it up if something happens. I've never done ceramic before, so just went with his advice.
No coating is permanent. They give you a ten year warranty, but they're betting on you not returning for a touch up or you not owning the car 3 years down the road.
Jetrik38.00
      01-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #19
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that price is typical for a professional application (but others may correct me). That actually assumes straight from dealer (and dealer does not wash/prep) - so NO paint correction included in that price.
I did my coating myself. Spent about $250 in supplies $150 for the GTechniq and EXO and about a $100 for the polishing compounds. Took 2 full days. That's an obscene quote for ceramic coating with no paint correction. I'd walk right on by that place.
      01-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No coating is permanent. They give you a ten year warranty, but they're betting on you not returning for a touch up or you not owning the car 3 years down the road.
Permanent in the detailing world is commonly used to mean it requires abrasion to remove it. As opposed to other coatings like Optimum Gloss Coat which can be re applied at will, even without polishing off and is marketed to last up to 2 years before it wears off. I'd understand if someone wanted to pay more for a Pro version of a coating (permanent), but these coatings are so easy to apply these days, I wouldn't spend anywhere near what the OP was quoted. A good paint correction requires hours of labor, which is what I thought was part of his quote. If it's just the coating, what a ripoff.
I applied my coating in about a half hour. I spent a lot more time prepping (paint correction and prep).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #21
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Permanent in the detailing world is commonly used to mean it requires abrasion to remove it. As opposed to other coatings like Optimum Gloss Coat which can be re applied at will, even without polishing off and is marketed to last up to 2 years before it wears off. I'd understand if someone wanted to pay more for a Pro version of a coating (permanent), but these coatings are so easy to apply these days, I wouldn't spend anywhere near what the OP was quoted. A good paint correction requires hours of labor, which is what I thought was part of his quote. If it's just the coating, what a ripoff.
I applied my coating in about a half hour. I spent a lot more time prepping (paint correction and prep).
If your coating an entire X5 in 30 min that's more of. A sealant. The stuff I use is detailer specific and can't be bought by anyone in the street. It took a total of 8 hrs to coat all surfaces and wheels twice. On a brand new car you need minimal paint correction if done
right after delivery. I just did a 1 step with a light cutting compound. Smooth as glass.
      01-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If your coating an entire X5 in 30 min that's more of. A sealant. The stuff I use is detailer specific and can't be bought by anyone in the street. It took a total of 8 hrs to coat all surfaces and wheels twice. On a brand new car you need minimal paint correction if done
right after delivery. I just did a 1 step with a light cutting compound. Smooth as glass.
I think it'd matter more how the condition of the paint is upon pickup of the vehicle. Some are prepped better than others from the dealer. And I don't use sealants any longer, just coatings. 30min, give or take per layer. It flashes off after a couple minutes per panel. Point is, OP is getting ripped off at that price for a coating.
Appreciate 0