Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
A friend of a friend who works at BMW sent me Ceramic Pro 9H gratis. Supposedly it creates a permanent bond and can only be removed by severe abrasion. They guarantee it for life. The guy who put it on said even if it's 10 years from now, they'll touch it up if something happens. I've never done ceramic before, so just went with his advice.
No coating is permanent. They give you a ten year warranty, but they're betting on you not returning for a touch up or you not owning the car 3 years down the road.
Permanent in the detailing world is commonly used to mean it requires abrasion to remove it. As opposed to other coatings like Optimum Gloss Coat which can be re applied at will, even without polishing off and is marketed to last up to 2 years before it wears off. I'd understand if someone wanted to pay more for a Pro version of a coating (permanent), but these coatings are so easy to apply these days, I wouldn't spend anywhere near what the OP was quoted. A good paint correction requires hours of labor, which is what I thought was part of his quote. If it's just the coating, what a ripoff.
I applied my coating in about a half hour. I spent a lot more time prepping (paint correction and prep).
If your coating an entire X5 in 30 min that's more of. A sealant. The stuff I use is detailer specific and can't be bought by anyone in the street. It took a total of 8 hrs to coat all surfaces and wheels twice. On a brand new car you need minimal paint correction if done
right after delivery. I just did a 1 step with a light cutting compound. Smooth as glass.
Yeah. You need the pro stuff for sure. The guys that did mine took two days for a full detail, clay bar, and many coats of ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Thanks for the replies. If the ceramic coating were cheaper and/or lasted longer it would be something I would consider, which is why I asked originally.

For comparison, I now have another quote that's for Ceramic Pro9 (different shop) that is $2300.

And now, a national chain, is much cheaper: $1150 for lifetime warranty, using GTechniq.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #25
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Thanks for the replies. If the ceramic coating were cheaper and/or lasted longer it would be something I would consider, which is why I asked originally.

For comparison, I now have another quote that's for Ceramic Pro9 (different shop) that is $2300.

And now, a national chain, is much cheaper: $1150 for lifetime warranty, using GTechniq.
Exactly the point I am trying to make. For a coating that is going to last 2-3 years, you can easily do it yourself and re apply every 2 years. Coating technology has come a long way and it's so much easier to apply them then a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Some detailers use products that the public can not get. I’ve coated many many cars for family and friends and coating a typical size car, I spend on average of 40 hours. That includes decontamination process (clay bar & Iron remover) one step polish and then coating the vehicle with 3 coats of two different products. Wheels off and decontaminated (no polish) and coated inside and out. Interior coated including all carpeting. There is only on coating I know of that needs to be wet sanded to remove, and to my knowledge it’s the absolute best coating out there and expensive to get done. You need IR lights to cure it. I know for fact you can polish off Ceramic Pro 9h with an abrasive polish an the lifetime warranty is complete BS. I hope this helps you guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #27
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Some detailers use products that the public can not get. I've coated many many cars for family and friends and coating a typical size car, I spend on average of 40 hours. That includes decontamination process (clay bar & Iron remover) one step polish and then coating the vehicle with 3 coats of two different products. Wheels off and decontaminated (no polish) and coated inside and out. Interior coated including all carpeting. There is only on coating I know of that needs to be wet sanded to remove, and to my knowledge it's the absolute best coating out there and expensive to get done. You need IR lights to cure it. I know for fact you can polish off Ceramic Pro 9h with an abrasive polish an the lifetime warranty is complete BS. I hope this helps you guys.
I agree 100%. The stuff made for professionals only is far better than an consuner product. Any good shop will tell you the majority your cost is prep work. The coating I'm using has to be removed with some form of abrasive not just polish. I think people assume a ceramic coating is generic and doesn't matter who makes the product. There's a big difference between Opti Coat, Feynlabs and Ceramic Pro.

example below, while you can technically buy it the product is for professionals only

https://www.feynlab.com/product/ceramic_17/
https://www.feynlab.com/product/self-heal_17/
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #28
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I agree 100%. The stuff made for professionals only is far better than an consuner product. Any good shop will tell you the majority your cost is prep work. The coating I'm using has to be removed with some form of abrasive not just polish. I think people assume a ceramic coating is generic and doesn't matter who makes the product. There's a big difference between Opti Coat, Feynlabs and Ceramic Pro.

example below, while you can technically buy it the product is for professionals only

https://www.feynlab.com/product/ceramic_17/
https://www.feynlab.com/product/self-heal_17/
Agreed, I’ve used most of the products available to the consumer but I’ve never used Feynlabs but I hear all good things about them. Unfortunately marketing money has a lot to do with products people purchase which in the case of ceramic costings could be problematic for some. I feel bad for people getting sucked into slogans like lifetime warranty, or prevent rock chips with 5 or 9 layers. All BS. It’s actually bad to apply too many coats of most products but people buy into that mess. Hopefully we can educate some of these fine folks so they don’t get ripped off.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #29
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

I just have a hard time justifying the cost of a pro coating when you will need a paint correction regardless every year to 2 years to remove swirls/marring. That's why I prefer the consumer grade coatings bc I'm going to reapply anyway in 1-2 years. I assume most of you that get a pro coating aren't interested in paint corrections at this frequency and prefer to go a few years at the minimum, if any, paint correction is performed? Then I can understand why you'd pay for a pro coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #30
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
I just have a hard time justifying the cost of a pro coating when you will need a paint correction regardless every year to 2 years to remove swirls/marring. That's why I prefer the consumer grade coatings bc I'm going to reapply anyway in 1-2 years. I assume most of you that get a pro coating aren't interested in paint corrections at this frequency and prefer to go a few years at the minimum, if any, paint correction is performed? Then I can understand why you'd pay for a pro coating.
I’m not suggesting you get a pro coating only, I strongly believe in good quality coatings that are applied correctly and using the necessary steps so they adhere to the paint for the longest protection possible. I use consumer grade coatings on all my cars and I have zero marring and swirls on a BSM M4 that shows everything. I hand wash all my cars and know how to clean them without inducing visible swirls or marring. I’ve had a lot of practice washing (35 yrs) cars. Using good quality coating makes washing a breeze, bugs tar are all handled without scrubbing and I blow off all the water touching the surface a little as possible. It’s a commitment to have a car standing tall, but well worth it, to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #31
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
Quote:
I’m not suggesting you get a pro coating only, I strongly believe in good quality coatings that are applied correctly and using the necessary steps so they adhere to the paint for the longest protection possible. I use consumer grade coatings on all my cars and I have zero marring and swirls on a BSM M4 that shows everything. I hand wash all my cars and know how to clean them without inducing visible swirls or marring. I’ve had a lot of practice washing (35 yrs) cars. Using good quality coating makes washing a breeze, bugs tar are all handled without scrubbing and I blow off all the water touching the surface a little as possible. It’s a commitment to have a car standing tall, but well worth it, to me.
Absolutely. Just trying to save the OP some $, or rather, not see him get ripped off. If the "pro" isn't doing a paint correction, that price is insane. Proper prep consisting of a wash, IPA wipe down and/or paint prep polish doesn't take THAT long to justify the cost of $2k+. At that price point I'd put the money elsewhere and seal it every 6 months if he's incapable of coating it himself. Or shop around for a reasonable price point.

OP, hope I didn't confuse you more!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #32
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Absolutely. Just trying to save the OP some $, or rather, not see him get ripped off. If the "pro" isn't doing a paint correction, that price is insane. Proper prep consisting of a wash, IPA wipe down and/or paint prep polish doesn't take THAT long to justify the cost of $2k+. At that price point I'd put the money elsewhere and seal it every 6 months if he's incapable of coating it himself. Or shop around for a reasonable price point.

OP, hope I didn't confuse you more!
I believe the $2300 was for Ceramic Pro 9H which they are probably giving him the 5 or 9 layers with lifetime warranty which is a rip off. The whole point for my post was for him not to get sucked into that BS. He should shop around and look at the work they done before. I always do a one step finishing polish before coating but that is for new cars only that haven’t been washed or touched by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #33
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies! I see there's a wide range for cost and durability - and so far, it's not necessarily correlated. At $2k+ for a 2-year coating, I'm not a buyer. The national shop that offers GTechiq at $1100 with a lifetime (even if that means 7-10 years) seems like a reasonable price. The downside is that the high-priced quote came from my tint/PPF shop which I've used before and they are really high-quality, while the low-cost quote is from a national chain that has decent reviews, but is new to me.

So, now I'm looking at full interior tint (windshield, all windows, and sunroof) $650, PPF Ultra $1850, and ceramic $1150 - total $2650 for long-term protection.

For clarification, the $1150 includes prep and the following:
1-LAYER CERAMIC BASE PAINT & TRIM - GTechniq
2-LAYER CERAMIC TOP COAT PAINT & TRIM
2-LAYER CERAMIC WINDSHIELD & GLASS
2-LAYER CERAMIC WHEEL & CALIPER
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #34
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I see there's a wide range for cost and durability - and so far, it's not necessarily correlated. At $2k+ for a 2-year coating, I'm not a buyer. The national shop that offers GTechiq at $1100 with a lifetime (even if that means 7-10 years) seems like a reasonable price. The downside is that the high-priced quote came from my tint/PPF shop which I've used before and they are really high-quality, while the low-cost quote is from a national chain that has decent reviews, but is new to me.

So, now I'm looking at full interior tint (windshield, all windows, and sunroof) $650, PPF Ultra $1850, and ceramic $1150 - total $2650 for long-term protection

For clarification, the $1150 includes prep and the following:
1-LAYER CERAMIC BASE PAINT & TRIM - GTechniq
2-LAYER CERAMIC TOP COAT PAINT & TRIM
2-LAYER CERAMIC WINDSHIELD & GLASS
2-LAYER CERAMIC WHEEL & CALIPER
PPF is well worth the price in my opinion, just make sure you research the shop your using. Do they wrap the hood, meaning tuck the edges under? Do your research and shop around. See if you can get some recommendations from here or else where. You must be 100% comfortable with the shop you select. See if you can look at vehicles they are currently working on. Research is key here before you spend that money.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #35
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:
No coating is permanent. They give you a ten year warranty, but they're betting on you not returning for a touch up or you not owning the car 3 years down the road.
Exactly. Relevant video
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #36
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting PPF on the full front of my car and ceramic everywhere else including the wheels and brake calipers.
Do you mind sharing what materials (wash, towels, mitts, etc) that you use for cleaning? I'm getting XPEL PPF (full front), Feynlab ceramic coating (100%) including wheels and calipers, and XPEL tint 100% interior glass coverage.

I expect I will usually use a local full 100% touchless wash that is 'approved' by the detailer, but by my estimate, I'll still need to have some (1) good drying towels (2) towels for door jambs, (3) glass cleaner and towels, something to clean bugs, tar, etc. after a long trip - and probably a lot I missed. I plan on talking to the detailer about this, but if I can get some upfront education, I can probably avoid purchasing stuff I won't need or use.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #37
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm getting PPF on the full front of my car and ceramic everywhere else including the wheels and brake calipers.
Do you mind sharing what materials (wash, towels, mitts, etc) that you use for cleaning? I'm getting XPEL PPF (full front), Feynlab ceramic coating (100%) including wheels and calipers, and XPEL tint 100% interior glass coverage.

I expect I will usually use a local full 100% touchless wash that is 'approved' by the detailer, but by my estimate, I'll still need to have some (1) good drying towels (2) towels for door jambs, (3) glass cleaner and towels, something to clean bugs, tar, etc. after a long trip - and probably a lot I missed. I plan on talking to the detailer about this, but if I can get some upfront education, I can probably avoid purchasing stuff I won't need or use.
So that's a great question I don't have a 100% answer for because of how many I use depending on what I feel like.

Optimum Rinseless wash

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR201...th=1&psc=1

Most recently these microfiber clothes thanks to Mystro
https://www.autogeek.net/quick-detail-towel-6.html

I also use these: https://adamspolishes.com/shop/acces...ber-towel.html

Then for wash mitt it varies, I sometimes use the microfiber cloths but also use this:
https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-wash-mitt.html

I won't be waxing or doing anything else since my front wrap is Suntek (I prefer the over XPEL now) and Feynlabs Ceramic so aside from the Rinseless wash via the two bucket method and stuff I also use a detail spray for quick touch ups.

I shouldn't need any wheel cleaners because of the ceramic I hope but I've used the Griotts BBS approved one without a problem in the past.
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #38
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So that's a great question I don't have a 100% answer for because of how many I use depending on what I feel like.
Really helpful, thanks! Do you have any specific cleaner or towels for cleaning the windows/windshield?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #39
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Really helpful, thanks! Do you have any specific cleaner or towels for cleaning the windows/windshield?
I use the same edgeless towels on my windshield (of course when they're clean) normally I seal my windshield but will use a clay mitt with distilled water followed by a clean rag.

I have a lot of cleaning stuff, trial and error to see what I liked better. Ask away I'm happy to offer up advise based on experience
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #40
JLR0523
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
PPF then ceramic. you'll only do ceramic over PPF to help repel water it's not really needed since any good sealant or was will do the same. Elsewhere I'd do ceramic if it's a darker color but I only hand wash my car
Thanks - I'm getting Phytonic Blue.

I'm considering doing the PPF, full hood and full front, coverage shown here as the "Hood & Bumper Kit", runs about $1750 for Suntek Ultra.

https://www.sunbusterstint.com/autom...int-protection

Or I'm still on the fence about just doing the ceramic (full coverage) and getting the PPF later.
Got Xpel wrap on entire front end and mirrors back in Dec when we took delivery. Has been holding up great so far this winter. And the xpel is self healing.
Attached Images

salfeet84308.00
      01-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #41
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0523 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
PPF then ceramic. you'll only do ceramic over PPF to help repel water it's not really needed since any good sealant or was will do the same. Elsewhere I'd do ceramic if it's a darker color but I only hand wash my car
Thanks - I'm getting Phytonic Blue.

I'm considering doing the PPF, full hood and full front, coverage shown here as the "Hood & Bumper Kit", runs about $1750 for Suntek Ultra.

https://www.sunbusterstint.com/autom...int-protection

Or I'm still on the fence about just doing the ceramic (full coverage) and getting the PPF later.
Got Xpel wrap on entire front end and mirrors back in Dec when we took delivery. Has been holding up great so far this winter. And the xpel is self healing.
All of them should self heal to a degree just not from larger impacts in my experience
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:04 PM   #42
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #43
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I use the same edgeless towels on my windshield (of course when they're clean) normally I seal my windshield but will use a clay mitt with distilled water followed by a clean rag.

I have a lot of cleaning stuff, trial and error to see what I liked better. Ask away I'm happy to offer up advise based on experience
Thanks for this (and the other replies, I don't know how to quote from multiple posts)!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #44
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for this (and the other replies, I don't know how to quote from multiple posts)!
it's the +" button to multi quote

I get the car back tomorrow apparently wrapping the grill slats was a nightmare
Appreciate 0