BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2024, 03:56 AM   #1
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Winter tire wheel weights fell off

I bought some winter rims and tires from Wheelsco.ca for my X5. My friend swapped my summer tires back on today and I noticed a lot of the balancing wheel weights on the winter rims had fallen off, or were barely hanging on. I only drove 4000kms on these this winter and this is the first time ever that I've had any wheel weights falling off like this.

I think I'll send an email to wheelsco and see what they say. These were either cheap balancing weights with poor adhesive or they were just poorly put on.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 06:50 AM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

In another vehicle, I had some of the balancing weight fall off and the installer stated the reason was because I had ceramic coated the barrel...nonsense of course, it was poor quality adhesive. Let us know how it turns out, but looks like you have a re-do in your hands.

Last edited by MADBMWX5MC; 04-18-2024 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:25 PM   #3
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Back in my track days, we'd cover weights with aluminum tape, like what you might use on HVAC ducting. Not sure how that'd work in a winter environment but could be worth the experiment.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:17 PM   #4
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

A belt and suspenders approach to the HVAC tape. 1st time reading this. The mastic on the hvac tape is tenacious but one would presume if the tape on the wheel weight was decent, it should hold...blame the tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 03:56 AM   #5
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
A belt and suspenders approach to the HVAC tape. 1st time reading this. The mastic on the hvac tape is tenacious but one would presume if the tape on the wheel weight was decent, it should hold...blame the tire shop.
Absoutely it is the fault of the tire shop. I'm still waiting for a reply from them. $60 warranty (if received) isn't going to cover the cost of re-balancing as it seems most shops charge around $100. It's not a lot of money, but it is certainly an inconvenience.

Rob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:45 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

This is why I prefer to use an actual tire store...even if its a national one. I use Discount Tire (in the USA) and since I purchased my winter (and summer) tires from them...they do a seasonal swap and balance etc for free.

When the wheels/tires are swapped each season, the wheels are checked to make sure they are still balanced before remounting. You also get other services like flat tire repair. Which I had to do this year because after the 1st week of having my summer tires put on the X5...I got a leak in the right rear. I took it back to have them check things out and found that there were TWO screws in that tire...which they fixed for free.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 02:18 PM   #7
RidgeHauler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M60i

Same Issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I bought some winter rims and tires from Wheelsco.ca for my X5. My friend swapped my summer tires back on today and I noticed a lot of the balancing wheel weights on the winter rims had fallen off, or were barely hanging on. I only drove 4000kms on these this winter and this is the first time ever that I've had any wheel weights falling off like this.

I think I'll send an email to wheelsco and see what they say. These were either cheap balancing weights with poor adhesive or they were just poorly put on.

Rob
Sorry for your troubles.

Just yesterday I had the same problem on my winter set-up.

Heard some light tire noise at highway speeds from the rear and found this upon inspection when I got home.

Costco did the tire install. I'll take the wheel over after I swap the summer set back on.

Pain in the ass but at least it is covered by their tire plan.

Good luck with your re-balance as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0