BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Loud Air Conditioning Fans

I've seen it mentioned but anyone else have loud a/c fans even on the lowest setting? I just got my car and it's incredible, super quiet in every way but the ac fans are the loudest I've have on any car even on low.

Couple of notes, I have acoustic glass and ventilated seats. Not sure if the cabin being extra quiet makes it more noticeable. I've had loud ventilated seats before but even with them off the ac is loud.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I felt the same without the acoustic glass
The lowest settings on our former 2011 X3 and on my 2015 S5 Cabrio are both inaudible
The lowest setting on X5 is loud
      02-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

...but what you don't know is if the fans are in fact louder than the 2011 X3 (in this case) or if they are the same dba but the ambient noise is lower.
You would have to conduct tests in order to find out...but does it really matter? You gonna change it? It is what it is. Personally, I have always complained about how much noise car fans have made, no matter what the ambient car noise was, I mean I really don't want to hear them, I just want their effect.
However, a car is a small space, fans make noise unless you have them quite a distance away or really insulate like crazy. So just crank the sound system up a bit and their noise will fade away. Alternatively, use the heated or cooled seats to get your effect and reduce the fan speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
...but what you don't know is if the fans are in fact louder than the 2011 X3 (in this case) or if they are the same dba but the ambient noise is lower.
You would have to conduct tests in order to find out...but does it really matter? You gonna change it? It is what it is. Personally, I have always complained about how much noise car fans have made, no matter what the ambient car noise was, I mean I really don't want to hear them, I just want their effect.
However, a car is a small space, fans make noise unless you have them quite a distance away or really insulate like crazy. So just crank the sound system up a bit and their noise will fade away. Alternatively, use the heated or cooled seats to get your effect and reduce the fan speed.
Hey my X5 was leaking water through the shark fin antenna
Should I have just said what does it matter, am I gonna change it?
Guess what, I complained and after 3 failed attempts and over 40 days in the shop, I’m getting a brand new X5 with more options
So yeah it’s a valid complaint when I compare it to the lower, and older model and it loses.
      02-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Hey my X5 was leaking water through the shark fin antenna
Should I have just said what does it matter, am I gonna change it?
Guess what, I complained and after 3 failed attempts and over 40 days in the shop, I’m getting a brand new X5 with more options
So yeah it’s a valid complaint when I compare it to the lower, and older model and it loses.
HUH???? I thought the complaint was fan noise which is what I was referring to, not leaking water which is a very valid complaint/defect. I would have done the same as you in that case.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Zeetopian
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
HUH???? I thought the complaint was fan noise which is what I was referring to, not leaking water which is a very valid complaint/defect. I would have done the same as you in that case.
Has anyone found a solution to the original loud fan problem? I have the same issue where my 2015 X5 AC fan is loud even on the lowest setting. My 2015 535i does not have any noise at the lowest AC setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I guess "loud" is kind of subjective.

It might be worthwhile going to the dealership and sitting in a comparable new car on the lot and seeing if the noise levels are the same, just to eliminate a mechanical issue.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
gizer76
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5legend24 View Post
I've seen it mentioned but anyone else have loud a/c fans even on the lowest setting? I just got my car and it's incredible, super quiet in every way but the ac fans are the loudest I've have on any car even on low.

Couple of notes, I have acoustic glass and ventilated seats. Not sure if the cabin being extra quiet makes it more noticeable. I've had loud ventilated seats before but even with them off the ac is loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5legend24 View Post

I've taken over a 2019 G05 lease and can say that the fan is the noisiest of any car I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
nlk10010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Funny, wifey and I JUST test drove an X5 M50i and that was the thing that most bothered her. Salesman even reached over from the back seat and tried to lower it, I think he may have just turned it off and told us it was on its lowest setting. My wife noticed it because we had just finished testing an Audi RSQ8 and everything (A/C fan, ventilated seats) were whisper quiet. Not trying to denigrate the X5, this was just one tiny thing, but the fan definitely seemed loud.

Our X3 M40i A/C fan annoys the hell out of us because of the electric whine which often accompanies it, but that's a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
Funny, wifey and I JUST test drove an X5 M50i and that was the thing that most bothered her. Salesman even reached over from the back seat and tried to lower it, I think he may have just turned it off and told us it was on its lowest setting. My wife noticed it because we had just finished testing an Audi RSQ8 and everything (A/C fan, ventilated seats) were whisper quiet. Not trying to denigrate the X5, this was just one tiny thing, but the fan definitely seemed loud.

Our X3 M40i A/C fan annoys the hell out of us because of the electric whine which often accompanies it, but that's a different matter.
Very Light is super quiet in my M50i.
      08-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ya ever notice when you're lying in bed and can't sleep, all the strange noises you hear? I swear our fridge talks at night, bing, pop, clack. The house is cooling down and it talks, everything comes alive when its dead quiet. So we think anyway...so, the quieter these cars are, the more we hear and the more it bothers us. That's what the radio volume knob is for
Appreciate 0