Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #25
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Agreed, looks mean.

I have a very early X5 and first thing I did was get the local garage to remove and spray the grill. Still looks the nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #26
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Black grille arrives today!
Where did you order black grille for G06 from?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Where did you order black grille for G06 from?
Official BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #28
jole996
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Official BMW dealer.
Tnx!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #29
re2gie01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jole996 View Post
Quote:
Official BMW dealer.
Tnx!
Is it just me, or does this look lowered? Is this on air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #30
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by re2gie01 View Post
Yeah its the air suspension. Sometimes I park in the lowest (parking only) position.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #31
re2gie01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah its the air suspension. Sometimes I park in the lowest (parking only) position.
It automatically raises when you shift out of park?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #32
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It automatically raises when you shift out of park?
Yes - the lowest position (-40mm) is only accessible when parked - to make loading & unloading easier. When you drive, it will raise back to its normal position (call it 0mm), or if you put it in sport its -20mm.

You can also push the lever to have the suspension at -20mm in comfort mode if you like. If you do this, it will stay at -20mm when parked and stay there when you drive away again in comfort mode.

If I haven't lowered it to -40mm when parking, then mine is usually found at the -20mm setting most of the time.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 01:41 AM   #33
KGNP85
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
I was browsing in the dealership on Tuesday and saw this car in the showroom. I couldn't resist and traded in my G30 540i and collected the X6 the following morning!

The spec was pretty much exactly as I would have configured one for myself, except I would not have optioned the glowing grille and I may have added the lighting package. I have a black grille on order so will get that changed over when it arrives. I have also de-badged the rear since I took these pictures.

The spec:

Mineral White
Tacora Red Leather
Alu. Tetragon
21" style 741 M alloys
Tech Pack - HUD, display key, park assist+, drive recorder(?)
Comfort Pack - comfort access, comfort seats, cup warmer/cooler, heated front & rear seats
Harmon Kardon
Privacy glass
Iconic glow kidney grille
4 Zone climate control
Crafted Clarity interior elements
Skylounge panoramic sunroof
M Sport Exhaust
M Sport Brakes
Adaptive 2 axle air suspension
Adaptive LED headlights with HBA

Congrats on your purchase. It is a beautiful car . My lease is up on my X4 later this year and I plan to get the X6. I am struggling between deciding on the 40i or M50i. I have only test driven the M50i. I love the performance offered with the V8 but it comes with increased cost (it is an 11K difference on my M50i build vs my 40i build with the exact same spec). There is also increased fuel consumption with the V8 as well. My brain tells me to get the 40i but I am wonder if there is enough power there to have the heavy X6 feel "quick"? I plan on getting the car with DHP as well. If the 40i is underpowered for a car of this size and weight then I am willing to spend the extra cash for the V8. I would love to hear your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:38 AM   #34
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGNP85 View Post
Congrats on your purchase. It is a beautiful car . My lease is up on my X4 later this year and I plan to get the X6. I am struggling between deciding on the 40i or M50i. I have only test driven the M50i. I love the performance offered with the V8 but it comes with increased cost (it is an 11K difference on my M50i build vs my 40i build with the exact same spec). There is also increased fuel consumption with the V8 as well. My brain tells me to get the 40i but I am wonder if there is enough power there to have the heavy X6 feel "quick"? I plan on getting the car with DHP as well. If the 40i is underpowered for a car of this size and weight then I am willing to spend the extra cash for the V8. I would love to hear your input.
That's a good question. Here's where I'm at - There is literally no where that I travel on a regular basis that I could utilise over 500bhp in a 2 tonne SUV; the performance would be wasted for me.

I have had a few M cars in the past and I always felt frustrated that I rarely got to work the engine hard even driving at night on empty roads I had to reign it in somewhat.

I have had the 40i in my G30 and with a JB+ (that I will be putting on this car), the performance was the sweet spot for me. Not the fastest thing on 4 wheels but I enjoyed using the power more than the end result if that makes sense - being able to let it rev all the way out and working the engine hard. Also, relatively speaking, my 540i was still faster than 90% of the cars I came across as most cars sold in this country are 2.0 diesels and small petrols as our fuel prices are so high. The average car here does 0-60 in over 6 seconds.

This is heavier than the 540i, but even without the JB+ (not fitting it until run-in is over) I'm not feeling it being 'slow'. The biggest difference is in comfort mode where the 540i could still take off with a stab of the throttle, but the X6 in comfort mode needs the shifter pushed over to the left before it feels ready for a quicker change of speed in comfort mode. In sport/sport+ however, its a lot of fun. I can tell that with the JB+ it will be in my personal sweet spot for performance.

I test drove the Cayenne S and e-hybrid versions (440bhp and 456bhp) and while faster, I didn't feel a big difference until it got to speeds higher than the highest UK speed limit.

I also test drove an M50d X5 (400bhp, lots of torque) and again whilst faster I found it uninteresting to drive being a diesel with lots of torque but low revving and artificial sounding exhaust note.

I guess I just like the B58 engine, and with the M sport exhaust this car is louder than my 540i and sounds much better which is a bonus.

Lastly, I wanted air suspension as opposed to the adaptive M suspension on the M50i/d. I love the fact that I can vary the ride height at the push of a button and found the adaptive M a little too firm on our crappy roads, even in comfort. Air suspension can't even be optioned on the X6 M50i/d here (but it can on the X5 M50i/d for some reason).

For me, the 40i was just where I wanted to be. It doesn't feel under-powered (i.e. the engine never feels like its struggling at any time) but whether its fast enough for you subjectively is something you can only decide from a test drive. You would not be disappointed by its adequacy and ability to hustle when driven hard, but if you need (and can use) that performance edge then it would have to be the M50i. Its that age old dilemma I guess.

Last edited by mobilejo; 02-22-2020 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      02-22-2020, 05:29 AM   #35
re2gie01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGNP85 View Post
Quote:
I was browsing in the dealership on Tuesday and saw this car in the showroom. I couldn't resist and traded in my G30 540i and collected the X6 the following morning!

The spec was pretty much exactly as I would have configured one for myself, except I would not have optioned the glowing grille and I may have added the lighting package. I have a black grille on order so will get that changed over when it arrives. I have also de-badged the rear since I took these pictures.

The spec:

Mineral White
Tacora Red Leather
Alu. Tetragon
21" style 741 M alloys
Comfort Pack - comfort access, comfort seats, cup warmer/cooler, heated front & rear seats
Harmon Kardon
Privacy glass
4 Zone climate control
M Sport Exhaust
M Sport Brakes

You should test drive them back to back. There is an obvious difference! I've had a 640i Gran coupe for the last two years. It's a heavy vehicle and the v6 is adequate but you feel the weight of the car. It's my only complaint against a great vehicle!!

The v6 version of the x6 is the same way, it's adequate, but you still feel how heavy the car is. With the M50i, acceleration is effortless.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #36
KGNP85
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
That's a good question. Here's where I'm at - There is literally no where that I travel on a regular basis that I could utilise over 500bhp in a 2 tonne SUV; the performance would be wasted for me.

I have had a few M cars in the past and I always felt frustrated that I rarely got to work the engine hard even driving at night on empty roads I had to reign it in somewhat.

I have had the 40i in my G30 and with a JB+ (that I will be putting on this car), the performance was the sweet spot for me. Not the fastest thing on 4 wheels but I enjoyed using the power more than the end result if that makes sense - being able to let it rev all the way out and working the engine hard. Also, relatively speaking, my 540i was still faster than 90% of the cars I came across as most cars sold in this country are 2.0 diesels and small petrols as our fuel prices are so high. The average car here does 0-60 in over 6 seconds.

This is heavier than the 540i, but even without the JB+ (not fitting it until run-in is over) I'm not feeling it being 'slow'. The biggest difference is in comfort mode where the 540i could still take off with a stab of the throttle, but the X6 in comfort mode needs the shifter pushed over to the left before it feels ready for a quicker change of speed in comfort mode. In sport/sport+ however, its a lot of fun. I can tell that with the JB+ it will be in my personal sweet spot for performance.

I test drove the Cayenne S and e-hybrid versions (440bhp and 456bhp) and while faster, I didn't feel a big difference until it got to speeds higher than the highest UK speed limit.

I also test drove an M50d X5 (400bhp, lots of torque) and again whilst faster I found it uninteresting to drive being a diesel with lots of torque but low revving and artificial sounding exhaust note.

I guess I just like the B58 engine, and with the M sport exhaust this car is louder than my 540i and sounds much better which is a bonus.

Lastly, I wanted air suspension as opposed to the adaptive M suspension on the M50i/d. I love the fact that I can vary the ride height at the push of a button and found the adaptive M a little too firm on our crappy roads, even in comfort. Air suspension can't even be optioned on the X6 M50i/d here (but it can on the X5 M50i/d for some reason).

For me, the 40i was just where I wanted to be. It doesn't feel under-powered (i.e. the engine never feels like its struggling at any time) but whether its fast enough for you subjectively is something you can only decide from a test drive. You would not be disappointed by its adequacy and ability to hustle when driven hard, but if you need (and can use) that performance edge then it would have to be the M50i. Its that age old dilemma I guess.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1105.50
      03-26-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
larriebee
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Garage List
Congrats Jo, great looking car and good to see you didn't go for a build car like your 5 series. That wait is a killer and these take longer to build than the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 12:35 AM   #38
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

how do you like the sky roof? Would you order them again?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:33 AM   #39
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larriebee View Post
Congrats Jo, great looking car and good to see you didn't go for a build car like your 5 series. That wait is a killer and these take longer to build than the 5 series.
Hey! Good to see you again - hope all is well.

Yeah you're right, I couldn't stand the thought of the wait TBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
how do you like the sky roof? Would you order them again?
Definitely - the sky roof is the only sunroof option we have, and I will always opt for a sunroof. The lights in it are a nice bonus and do add extra ambience to the interior at night.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #40
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Rather surprised how many of us G30 owners made the jump to the G5/06, seeing a lot of people on here from other forums.

Mine was a factory built car but also ticked all the options for me so made sense when I got it 6 months ago, plus APR and contributions were great at the time too!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #41
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Rather surprised how many of us G30 owners made the jump to the G5/06, seeing a lot of people on here from other forums.

Mine was a factory built car but also ticked all the options for me so made sense when I got it 6 months ago, plus APR and contributions were great at the time too!
Hello again!

Yeah I have always flitted between 5 series' and X5s - I've had 1 or 2 of each gen 5, and 1 or 2 of each gen X5 (except for the F15). Thought I'd try an X6 this time. I always end up either missing the way a saloon drives, or the comfort of an X, hence me jumping back and forth so much.

Factory built (if you can find what you want) is the way to go. Plus dealers just love getting rid of cars that they already hold so its really easy to deal on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #42
SJW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 X5 40i Dark Graphite

Nice and congrats! Like the door cards better on the X6 vs X5...much sportier.
mobilejo1105.50
      03-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #43
bazi_kr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:

The spec:

Mineral White
Tacora Red Leather
Alu. Tetragon
21" style 741 M alloys
Harmon Kardon
Privacy glass
4 Zone climate control
M Sport Exhaust
M Sport Brakes

Amazing. Congratulations and enjoy!

I am glad to see your build because mine is almost the same, except I got shadow line black grills, black 22" wheels and wood interior.

I wanted to see what the red interior looks like in real life and I'm so glad that I made the decision to go with it. Your interior is gorgeous
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1105.50
      03-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #44
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Rather surprised how many of us G30 owners made the jump to the G5/06, seeing a lot of people on here from other forums!
And I'm another who made the leap - just over 6 months of ownership now.
Posted elsewhere why we did, but I agree. I was very happy with the g30 and the nicest car I'd owned overall. Until now!
Only niggle is that I'm still not seeing that improvement in fuel economy I'd hoped for, but perhaps it'll come yet. Not that I bought it for fuel economy though!
Appreciate 0