BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Zero Boss
Rep
Drives: .

MSN Article on Manual vs. DCT

Just wanted to post this really good article on manual vs. dct transmission for everyone to read.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=656470
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
true...but if you look at all the formula 1 racing, there aint no shift sticks anymore
all paddles

this applies to americans, everyone drives a big SUV..fat, lazy
who the hell drives a stick here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
How can you take an article like this seriously? It's written by someone who knows nothing about cars and second is geared toward joe-consumer. I do believe the manual is on its way out - who wants all that extra effort... especially the younger gens. But autos will always blow IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

driver involvement VS Quicker 0-100mph

DCT is a really neat tranny. but its all personal preference. Id much rather have a better driving experience than just to be a little faster
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
true...but if you look at all the formula 1 racing, there aint no shift sticks anymore
all paddles

Just to throw the discussion off-topic, it was John Barnard with Ferrari who invented the paddle shifters. Ironically, it was to create a more aero-efficient car through a narrower cockpit, rather than speed up gear changes.

Sadly manuals are on the way out, but I will order one whenever the option is available.
      10-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
all paddles

First off, you can't really stack a vehicle that is the pinnacle of automotive engineering against a daily driver. F1 cars are designed to be as fast as possible. I don't think Lewis Hamilton would ask for a stick shift for a more involving experience.

I on the other hand, would prefer a stick to know that I have absolute control and when I launch or race another car, it's me doing it. Not a computer. I can't imagine driving my car without a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I totally agree, My first car was a stick..it was the cheapest car i ever had but it was the most fun
I really want a stick for my next car
but financee can't drive stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
First off, you can't really stack a vehicle that is the pinnacle of automotive engineering against a daily driver. F1 cars are designed to be as fast as possible. I don't think Lewis Hamilton would ask for a stick shift for a more involving experience.

I on the other hand, would prefer a stick to know that I have absolute control and when I launch or race another car, it's me doing it. Not a computer. I can't imagine driving my car without a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Here is a question.

If you could buy a car with a normal 6MT stick shifter, but no clutch pedal, would you?

Basically it would be a DCT with a 6MT gear interface, would you still pick a 6MT or would you get this new hybrid. (Lets also say the shift times are as fast as you can throw the shifter into a new gear.)

I feel like this would be the best solution. You wouldn't need software to determine the gear, the user still dictates that. All the software would do is auto engage and disengage the clutch, and it would be triggered off of the shifter's movement. As soon as the knob leaves one notch it goes to neutral, soon as it enters another it engages that gear.
      10-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Here is a question.

If you could buy a car with a normal 6MT stick shifter, but no clutch pedal, would you?

Basically it would be a DCT with a 6MT gear interface, would you still pick a 6MT or would you get this new hybrid. (Lets also say the shift times are as fast as you can throw the shifter into a new gear.)

I feel like this would be the best solution. You wouldn't need software to determine the gear, the user still dictates that. All the software would do is auto engage and disengage the clutch, and it would be triggered off of the shifter's movement. As soon as the knob leaves one notch it goes to neutral, soon as it enters another it engages that gear.
Me and my friend came up with the exact same idea! hahaha

We think it'd be awesome (but completely implausible giving modern day technical limitations) to have a traditional style manual gearbox without a clutch pedal, and it had an auto mode that could be engaged by sliding the stick into the "A" gear or whatever. It would be off to the side like the reverse gear is, and the ECU would control all the shifting from then on.

If a misshift was to take place, the ECU would just cut throttle or not change gears.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

though you'll still miss the best part about manuals...heel-toe downshifting
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Here is a question.

That's retarded IMO, the clutch is everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 03:51 AM   #11
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
How can you take an article like this seriously? It's written by someone who knows nothing about cars and second is geared toward joe-consumer. I do believe the manual is on its way out - who wants all that extra effort... especially the younger gens. But autos will always blow IMO.
Of course we can because dct is for people with no knowledge about cars. Sorry that was a cheap shot
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
That's retarded IMO, the clutch is everything.
The purpose of my question was in fact to determine the value of worth of each main part in the 6MT interface. The clutch and the shifter. Which part carries the essence of driving a manual more?

Using a clutch pedal and heel-toeing or rowing gears? If I had to guess I would say rowing the gears would be more essential.

Also, the DCT has manual sized pedals. You could still heel-toe if you really want to experience it, it just is not necessary anymore.
      11-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Me
I will take a manual all day
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0