BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #45
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

So yesterday I drove one with the Bowers and Wilkins system. Coming from HK, the B&W system is most definitely louder, and even at 75% volume its ear splitting loud in the car. The bass is richer and the audio separation is very very good... and all of this was over bluetooth because i didnt have a USB C to lightning cable but my music was from a lossless source. It was nice enough that it made me want to include the B&W system in our build. I agree with another poster here, that's the best car audio system i've heard as of yet
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #46
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
. and all of this was over bluetooth because i didnt have a USB C to lightning cable but my music was from a lossless source.
I don't know if BMW supports the aptX codec but you might want to look at the B&W article on audiophile audio over Bluetooth.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/blog/i...th-audio-worse

BTW if you are connected thought ApplePlay you are not using Bluetooth, it uses wi-fi.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #47
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i was in the car for all of 5 minutes listening to the system, I didnt even really get to play around with the car at all, much less pair it for carplay because we were in the midst of negotiating on it. Just in that time, it definitely sounded better overall though
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 04:15 AM   #48
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have no basis of comparison.... but exceptional quality sound was #1 on my list of priorities when I specced out my car. It became a matter of "how do I get this car into my price range, while still keeping the B&W?".

My last 2 cars were 3 series'... the first with the standard hifi... which was absolute garbage. The 2nd with the HK.... which was better. Both I upgraded with the complete Bavsound speaker replacements.... which helped on both accounts.

But.... I can't but help remember my 2007 Audi S8 with the Bang & Olufsen. To date, I have never heard a finer quality stereo (and that was a 2007!)

With my G05.... I wanted that "exceptional" quality sound that I'd never heard before.... or since. I'm hoping that the B&W will live up to my expectations.... and maybe even exceed them.

I've downloaded over 100 of my favorite CDs onto a hard drive (before trading in my 340)... and they are just sitting, waiting, for the X5 to arrive.

Of all the things I'm looking forward to..... the stereo is #1 on my list.

Time's ticking..... slowly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #49
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I have no basis of comparison.... but exceptional quality sound was #1 on my list of priorities when I specced out my car. It became a matter of "how do I get this car into my price range, while still keeping the B&W?".

My last 2 cars were 3 series'... the first with the standard hifi... which was absolute garbage. The 2nd with the HK.... which was better. Both I upgraded with the complete Bavsound speaker replacements.... which helped on both accounts.

But.... I can't but help remember my 2007 Audi S8 with the Bang & Olufsen. To date, I have never heard a finer quality stereo (and that was a 2007!)

With my G05.... I wanted that "exceptional" quality sound that I'd never heard before.... or since. I'm hoping that the B&W will live up to my expectations.... and maybe even exceed them.

I've downloaded over 100 of my favorite CDs onto a hard drive (before trading in my 340)... and they are just sitting, waiting, for the X5 to arrive.

we have the HK system in our F15. It sounds perfectly fine for a stereo but it struggles at high volumes. Most days it fine because I listen to a lot of podcasts, but some days I just want to crank it up and listen to some music and it struggles at high volumes. While I didn't get a lot of time to listen to the B&W, it does get ear splittingly loud at high volumes enough so that I know I can never fully crank it without damaging my ears, and it sounded great at those volumes for the few minutes I listened to it, enough so to change my G05 build to include it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:10 AM   #50
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

I can't speak for quality (compared to other cars) but for loudness it gives me a headache sometimes when I am cranking it up. My wife has to cover her ears. No distortion at all. Sounds perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #51
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

So before I end up getting an iphone .... has anyone tried USB to AUX?

Will the sound be lossless?

Thankfully my S10 Plus still has the headphone jack
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #52
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster82 View Post
So before I end up getting an iphone .... has anyone tried USB to AUX?

Will the sound be lossless?

Thankfully my S10 Plus still has the headphone jack
nope, better off using a flags drive or SSD. Aux output from a phone isn't the same and will use the phones DAC which isn't as good
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      12-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #53
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
nope, better off using a flags drive or SSD. Aux output from a phone isn't the same and will use the phones DAC which isn't as good
Nowhere to connect. There’s no AUX input on the G05.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #54
AlexTheGiant21
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
I think he was talking about a USB to AUX, not AUX to AUX....which now that I think about it, I dont think they make USB to AUX, but its about to be 2020 and I could be wrong

EDIT: Ok, I did a quick google search. Apparently they exist

Last edited by AlexTheGiant21; 12-04-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #55
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGiant21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
I think he was talking about a USB to AUX, not AUX to AUX....which now that I think about it, I dont think they make USB to AUX, but its about to be 2020 and I could be wrong
they don't unless it's some weird new thing but even so audio quality over native media is better in my experience if you have the choice
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #56
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Our g05 is in the process of being built with this system. What is the best way to connect my phone to the car to get the proper sound? I have a ton of lossless music on my iphone and in my F15, I connect it to the car using the usb cable connection in the center armrest. It sounds better than it sounds over bluetooth.

Now I know this car has wireless Apple CarPlay (which our F15 doesnt), but it also has a ton of usb-c ports. So what's the best practice here?

Also in the F15, there's only 1 USB port that connects to the audio system. The G05 is littered with usb-C ports, but how many are just charge points and how many are connected to the infotainment system?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #57
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Our g05 is in the process of being built with this system. What is the best way to connect my phone to the car to get the proper sound? I have a ton of lossless music on my iphone and in my F15, I connect it to the car using the usb cable connection in the center armrest. It sounds better than it sounds over bluetooth.

Now I know this car has wireless Apple CarPlay (which our F15 doesnt), but it also has a ton of usb-c ports. So what's the best practice here?

Also in the F15, there's only 1 USB port that connects to the audio system. The G05 is littered with usb-C ports, but how many are just charge points and how many are connected to the infotainment system?

thank you!
I'm waiting on the same. From what I've gathered, if you use CarPlay, the iPhone connects to the car via it's WiFi hotspot. Since that's the case, you're not throttled by bluetooth's bandwidth limitations. That means that you can stream lossless or lossy files from your iPhone to the car via AirPlay or streaming services that offer HiFi content. I could be wrong on this, but this is my understanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #58
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Any of the audiophiles on here have any EQ or sound settings for the B&W you'd be willing to share?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #59
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm waiting on the same. From what I've gathered, if you use CarPlay, the iPhone connects to the car via it's WiFi hotspot. Since that's the case, you're not throttled by bluetooth's bandwidth limitations. That means that you can stream lossless or lossy files from your iPhone to the car via AirPlay or streaming services that offer HiFi content. I could be wrong on this, but this is my understanding.
good to know we're in the same boat lol. there's a ton of stuff different from my F15 and i'm trying to learn as much as I can before delivery. My issue is, having only seen CarPlay in my friends' cars, that its a walled off garden that exists outside of the rest of the vehicle.

I really like the head up display, especially this new implementation. I love how good the maps look. I know I cant use Waze or google maps AND still use the head up display to get directions in front of me. So I'm hesitant to use CarPlay for music and then keep having to switch back and forth between it and the rest of the car's functions...or how seamless that switching is even?

I'm happy that CarPlay now essentially comes standard with these vehicles but frankly I was fine with how things work on my F15. The music stuff is well integrated with BMW's system and everything works okay.

If you use wireless carplay, i assume either your phone or the car creates some sort of wifi hotspot. is there an additional fee/service charge for that?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #60
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
good to know we're in the same boat lol. there's a ton of stuff different from my F15 and i'm trying to learn as much as I can before delivery. My issue is, having only seen CarPlay in my friends' cars, that its a walled off garden that exists outside of the rest of the vehicle.

I really like the head up display, especially this new implementation. I love how good the maps look. I know I cant use Waze or google maps AND still use the head up display to get directions in front of me. So I'm hesitant to use CarPlay for music and then keep having to switch back and forth between it and the rest of the car's functions...or how seamless that switching is even?

I'm happy that CarPlay now essentially comes standard with these vehicles but frankly I was fine with how things work on my F15. The music stuff is well integrated with BMW's system and everything works okay.

If you use wireless carplay, i assume either your phone or the car creates some sort of wifi hotspot. is there an additional fee/service charge for that?
I don't know for sure yet, but I think even if you don't want to use Waze or GMaps, you can still use CarPlay and use the stock NAV. At the very least you can still AirPlay music if you don't want to use the CarPlay streaming apps. The WiFi network on the G05 is free of charge. You will only have to pay if you want that network to also have an internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #61
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

I just started trying both the amazon music HD and Apple Music

Hard to differentiate between the two

Which songs I should use as a comparison?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #62
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know for sure yet, but I think even if you don't want to use Waze or GMaps, you can still use CarPlay and use the stock NAV. At the very least you can still AirPlay music if you don't want to use the CarPlay streaming apps. The WiFi network on the G05 is free of charge. You will only have to pay if you want that network to also have an internet connection.
that actually would be fantastic if you could use carplay for the audio and still use the stock system for the rest of the stuff. idk im excited to play with it whenever we get it. But I still like the 'tiles' in the idrive display that show artist/track information from their native player. I've gotten so used to it on our F15 and even though the interface is now older compared to this new one, my friends still comment on how good it looks in our F15.

So the "wifi hotspot' in the G05 is basically a LAN network right? Can you use the personal hotspot feature of your phone to have WAN wi-fi or does it not work like that? I mean i guess that wouldn't even really matter because if you're connected to CarPlay that subsumes your iphone is already connected to your data plan anyway...

I hope I get a good grasp of all of this before delivery because I doubt the dealer or spartanburg will have the patience to have all of this carefully explained and set up for us
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #63
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
that actually would be fantastic if you could use carplay for the audio and still use the stock system for the rest of the stuff. idk im excited to play with it whenever we get it. But I still like the 'tiles' in the idrive display that show artist/track information from their native player. I've gotten so used to it on our F15 and even though the interface is now older compared to this new one, my friends still comment on how good it looks in our F15.

So the "wifi hotspot' in the G05 is basically a LAN network right? Can you use the personal hotspot feature of your phone to have WAN wi-fi or does it not work like that? I mean i guess that wouldn't even really matter because if you're connected to CarPlay that subsumes your iphone is already connected to your data plan anyway...

I hope I get a good grasp of all of this before delivery because I doubt the dealer or spartanburg will have the patience to have all of this carefully explained and set up for us
Not to nitpick, but the WiFi hotspot would technically be a WAN

From what I've gathered, your iPhone can still connect via WiFi and use LTE/Wireless data for streaming services. How it does that, IDK.

I think the delivery team in Spartenburg will be very patient and informative. They will help you set up all your profiles and everything. I'm looking forward to the PCD because it really sounds like they give you the white glove treatment.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #64
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to nitpick, but the WiFi hotspot would technically be a WAN

From what I've gathered, your iPhone can still connect via WiFi and use LTE/Wireless data for streaming services. How it does that, IDK.

I think the delivery team in Spartenburg will be very patient and informative. They will help you set up all your profiles and everything. I'm looking forward to the PCD because it really sounds like they give you the white glove treatment.

I always was under the assumption that WAN meant wide area network which included an internet connection and LAN was just a local network where computers were connected to each other. I'm sure im wrong about that, i just didnt know better. I wonder what benifits you get if you were to subscribe to a BMW hotspot plan? We subscribe to the BMWOnline service in our F15. It's obviously not the full internet but it does just enough of their online services and stuff that makes it useful. Does the G05 not come with a similar service without you having to pay extra for it?

In any case, I'd love to do a PCD as well, if I can work it into my schedule. Just depends on when they come up with a date for us
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #65
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I always was under the assumption that WAN meant wide area network which included an internet connection and LAN was just a local network where computers were connected to each other. I'm sure im wrong about that, i just didnt know better. I wonder what benifits you get if you were to subscribe to a BMW hotspot plan? We subscribe to the BMWOnline service in our F15. It's obviously not the full internet but it does just enough of their online services and stuff that makes it useful. Does the G05 not come with a similar service without you having to pay extra for it?

In any case, I'd love to do a PCD as well, if I can work it into my schedule. Just depends on when they come up with a date for us
You're right - foolish of me.

I think the benefit of subscribing to the WiFi hot spot is your connected devices can use the internet. I don't think it has any bearing on what options work on your car. Purely a portal to get tablets, etc onto the net. For our family it doesn't make sense because both my wife and I have work phones with unlimited data, so when we go on road trips I use my phone as a hot spot and my sons iPad connects to it for all his streaming needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #66
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

I notice that the CarPlay apps function better with subscription with ATT. The menus and contents are populated without needing to use my phone for selections.
Appreciate 0