BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #177
GSG5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC (MBB/SS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Nope. I called and they said production is stopped until the 19th and everything will be replanned. But I don't know what they really know.
I really hope they just start with the planning where they stopped and not replan everything with the risk of being pushed back many weeks.
Prior to the shutdown announcement for Spartanburg, my F95 was scheduled for production week 14 (early April). After the announcement, my status regressed and was changed to “order received”. I got an email from by dealer yesterday indicating that it has been rescheduled for production week 21 (mid-May)...which should translate to delivery by late May. However, they offered the obvious caveat that this timing could obviously be adjusted further, pending developments related to the CV.

I doubt I’ll get it before July.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #178
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG5 View Post
Prior to the shutdown announcement for Spartanburg, my F95 was scheduled for production week 14 (early April). After the announcement, my status regressed and was changed to “order received”. I got an email from by dealer yesterday indicating that it has been rescheduled for production week 21 (mid-May)...which should translate to delivery by late May. However, they offered the obvious caveat that this timing could obviously be adjusted further, pending developments related to the CV.

I doubt I’ll get it before July.
My car was also scheduled for production week 14. I was hoping for production week 17 then but if they are going to make a new planning
And we have 6-8 weeks delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #179
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The way Donald Duck is handling this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the manufacturing plant keeps shut after the original announced two weeks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #180
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
The way Donald Duck is handling this, I wouldn't be surprised to see the manufacturing plant keeps shut after the original announced two weeks
Now you have gone and offended Disney and the real Donald Duck!
Appreciate 1
alex23642857.00
      03-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #181
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateeke81 View Post
So your dealer doesn't know anything either as the startup is foreseen for April 12th and not 19th.
I really hope they start where they stopped as the wait is already long enough without this setback.
They said everything is currently closed, also the US plant. And normally the US would close end of this week. Last week the sales guy hoped the car would still be produced this week just before the shutdown. But that definitely did not happen because they closed earlier.

But they didn't mention opening April 12th. Closed until April 19th for now. I don't know if that's true.
No confirmation on a new production week or that the car would be produced in the week of April 20th. They hope to get a new production week when the plant reopens and it's possible it's a new planning. So prepare for a new setback. I ordered this friggin car in July
Normally production was January. Somebody messed up and that didn't happen, so BMW Belux will give me a temporary car on their expense. But what I really want is that they get this one produced.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #182
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Chances are they will be producing ventilators.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #183
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

All we can do is wait. Just sad that EU customers cannot follow their order and need to rely on updates of dealers that don't know anything either.
For an investment of 100k€ it's a bit ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #184
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Nope. I called and they said production is stopped until the 19th and everything will be replanned. But I don't know what they really know.
I really hope they just start with the planning where they stopped and not replan everything with the risk of being pushed back many weeks.
So your dealer doesn't know anything either as the startup is foreseen for April 12th and not 19th.
I really hope they start where they stopped as the wait is already long enough without this setback.
Just read an article in "De Tijd". Lots of cars arriving in Zee Brugge (multiple brands) but are stocked there because dealers are closed. Zee Brugge is one of the major hubs for car transport ships arriving in Europe. They will stock them in the harbor and even thinking of keeping them in the ships and putting them on anker at sea. Transport ships are instructed to go half power to lengthen the trip. Same issue for oil tankers by the way. They don't know where to stock the oil anymore.
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      03-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #185
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Seeing how things are going in many other countries ahead of the US in terms of Covid, I’d be shocked if it’s only 2 weeks, much like Trump reopening the country by Easter ...... it’s not going to happen !
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #186
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
My build was pushed from Week 14 to now Week 19.... oh well...
2022 G01/X3 DG/TR M40i
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #187
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

At some point we'll have to start planning for just cancelling the 2020 order and go for a 2021 if things gets pushed beyond April because the model year transition usually happens in July/August if i'm not mistaken.

We're not quite there yet but given how things change daily I wouldn't be surprised if builds starts getting pushed back months instead of weeks here in the US.

What I am more curious to know is what kinda of incentives will BMW start throwing into the mix to try to salvage sales in the coming months and how soon will they start doing it.

Alan
      03-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #188
AKittrell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2018 Panamera 4S

Me too! If BMW is smart(as we wish some others were) they will jump in front of this and proactively offer something to their order customers to retain their business. If not, I'll see them for 2021MY.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #189
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

My initial thought was that there would be significant incentives offered over the next few months to create additional demand in a weak economy. I’m now starting to think that with factories shutting down, there may be a significant supply issue, where there just aren’t enough cars on lots to meet the demand of people coming off lease or otherwise looking to purchase a new car over the next few months, and where there are significant waiting times for custom builds as BMW gets through its backlog of orders.

I still think there’s a decent chance we see deep discounts, but I think it’s far from a slam dunk given the looming supply side issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #190
lovelight
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
My initial thought was that there would be significant incentives offered over the next few months to create additional demand in a weak economy. I’m now starting to think that with factories shutting down, there may be a significant supply issue, where there just aren’t enough cars on lots to meet the demand of people coming off lease or otherwise looking to purchase a new car over the next few months, and where there are significant waiting times for custom builds as BMW gets through its backlog of orders.

I still think there’s a decent chance we see deep discounts, but I think it’s far from a slam dunk given the looming supply side issues.
My X5 40i went from "scheduled for production" to "awaiting carrier assignment" in a matter of a few days. My order was submitted on May 13 and it is now "At the Port" which assume means it's getting on a train to be shipped to a West coast distribution depot.

I was told to expect 2 months from order and unless transport gets messed up due to the ongoing epidemic measures, it should be closer to 1 month. The possible explanations I can come up with is that they pushed factory orders to the front of the line and/or mine got built with an allocation that was supposed to go into my dealer's inventory. In either case, it would seem that sacrificing dealer inventory was deprioritized.

It's certainly possible that they won't provide more incentives but it seems like many other dealers are getting aggressive to move units.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #191
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The way I see it dealers aren't going to be giving away X5's while losing money unless its a weird spec that has been sitting on their lots for months. I don't foresee this happening on ordered cars.

Deals will have to to come from BMWNA in the form of lowered MF, higher residuals and cash incentives. Dealers only have so much headroom to discounts.

I'm only saying this because i keep seeing members post about how they are expecting 20+% discounts because of this pandemic to spark sales. If this does happen its not coming from the dealers which are barely surviving as is.

Alan
      03-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #192
Skilly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
The way I see it dealers aren't going to be giving away X5's while losing money unless its a weird spec that has been sitting on their lots for months. I don't foresee this happening on ordered cars.

Deals will have to to come from BMWNA in the form of lowered MF, higher residuals and cash incentives. Dealers only have so much headroom to discounts.

I'm only saying this because i keep seeing members post about how they are expecting 20+% discounts because of this pandemic to spark sales. If this does happen its not coming from the dealers which are barely surviving as is.

Alan
If the supply chain gets in shape in short order, there still won't really be cars coming out of the other end of that till mid to late June. That puts them so close to the new MY that my guess is that they stop the current MY production and negotiate booked orders.

They should contemplate bringing the new MY in early to promote sales. They can then hold the line on 2021 pricing and offer incentive (at the factory) for MY 2020 orders in hand - giving the choice. MY 2021 doesn't represent much in terms of changes so it would be easy to adjust and move forward with.

Seems like the right path...that said, they haven't invited me to join the board of directors just yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:56 PM   #193
lovelight
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive wagon

Certainly BMW isn't going to sell their entire inventory at a massive loss just for the sake of unloading the vehicles. At some point, the numbers will dictate that holding the inventory and weathering the storm is what makes the most sense. The question is where that balance of trade offs is.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #194
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
If the supply chain gets in shape in short order, there still won't really be cars coming out of the other end of that till mid to late June. That puts them so close to the new MY that my guess is that they stop the current MY production and negotiate booked orders.

They should contemplate bringing the new MY in early to promote sales. They can then hold the line on 2021 pricing and offer incentive (at the factory) for MY 2020 orders in hand - giving the choice. MY 2021 doesn't represent much in terms of changes so it would be easy to adjust and move forward with.

Seems like the right path...that said, they haven't invited me to join the board of directors just yet.
I don't like being a skeptic or a doomsayer and I'm sure BMW would like to get cranking again asap but I don't see it happening soon. The virus is young yet here in the states and we are just beginning to see the reaction from all parts of the economy. Each day is a new day in how people think and what actions they'll take. The news media, CBS, NBC, etc is scaring the crapola out of the general public, fueling the unnecessary shortage of toilet paper, etc.
It appears we have a long way to go yet and even when we peak, on the downward side of the peak the numbers will still be quite high for some time. Many peoples financial accounts will be impacted, causing them to withhold larger purchases till they regain faith. Not everyone who has been laid off will regain their jobs as businesses will not recover to the point they were at before this all happened for quite some time. Ugh. I hope I am dead wrong!

I'm just saying I don't believe there will be any short order.

Here is a depressing dashboard for those who are interested...https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:36 PM   #195
Skilly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I don't like being a skeptic or a doomsayer and I'm sure BMW would like to get cranking again asap but I don't see it happening soon. The virus is young yet here in the states and we are just beginning to see the reaction from all parts of the economy. Each day is a new day in how people think and what actions they'll take. The news media, CBS, NBC, etc is scaring the crapola out of the general public, fueling the unnecessary shortage of toilet paper, etc.
It appears we have a long way to go yet and even when we peak, on the downward side of the peak the numbers will still be quite high for some time. Many peoples financial accounts will be impacted, causing them to withhold larger purchases till they regain faith. Not everyone who has been laid off will regain their jobs as businesses will not recover to the point they were at before this all happened for quite some time. Ugh. I hope I am dead wrong!

I'm just saying I don't believe there will be any short order.

Here is a depressing dashboard for those who are interested...https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
I think you read short order and missed the 3 month gap on the other side of firing up. Things won't be shut down until the last case emerges. There will be a progressive move towards civilization re-starting hence the pause I think they should take in deciding when MY 2021 begins.

All that said, it would certainly help in the US if the Federal Government hadn't completely failed the people, with no mass testing we are literally walking around a room in the dark trying to inventory whats in it. It will be up to us - the reality is that if social distancing is actually taken seriously this will solve in April.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that people aren't completely brain dead and can see that their actions are the key to this all going away. Take guidance from Trump at your peril.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:19 AM   #196
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
Remember what ever discount we get devalues all used X5s and residuals
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #197
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

You also have to factor that BMW and the world doesnt revolve around the US (no disrespect). This is a global problem and what happens around the globe will affect what BMW do or dont do or perhaps more realistically what they can and cant do. A supply issue from another country (or even another part of US) could impact production, whether or not the production line in the US can in theory reopen. I'm guessing you will also be seeing big variations across the US in how quickly normaility will return, in much the same way as there are big variations right now in life closing down.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #198
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

I don't expect this normalize in next 6 months...this virus from China is going to delay lot of thing...but most importantly...normal life..damn,what a mass!
Appreciate 0