BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
saadG05
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M KIT

Garage List
Mods and warranty

Hi Guys I am planning to mod my BMW X5 40i. I am planning to do a full exhaust system Or Maybe Just a performance Muffler. I still want my warranty And Service Plan. Would That Affect My Warranty And Service Plan?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

The bottom line is if the damage can be shown it was caused by the modification YES they can say no warranty coverage. It does not simply VOID the whole warranty either. Service plan can be refused if the modification effects the service components. Say you replace your air filter with K&N they have the right to refuse to replace it.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
The bottom line is if the damage can be shown it was caused by the modification YES they can say no warranty coverage. It does not simply VOID the whole warranty either. Service plan can be refused if the modification effects the service components. Say you replace your air filter with K&N they have the right to refuse to replace it.
Tenac is right...plus, the agony of arguing your case with BMW that your mod did not negatively impact the car in the area of a future issue may not be worth it. Once you know for sure what you want to do, why not discuss this with the service mgr at your dealer and if they say... no worries... get it in writing. However, even that may not do the trick if whatever future issue arises, your dealer can't fix and has to escalate it to BMW, BMW may not cover the issue under warranty due to your mod even though your dealer was willing to. If you want to do it, go in with eyes wide open.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
The OP is in Saudi Arabia and local laws may be different. What Tenac states is generally correct for the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
The OP is in Saudi Arabia and local laws may be different. What Tenac states is generally correct for the US.
HA good catch!!! Shows how much I think big about the world. LOL

For what it might be OP check the laws in your country but I've never had anything denied for an exhaust system which is a wearable item. But I leave CATs alone too.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Typically downpipe back exhaust mods won't cause any issues. wheels, cosmetics etc.. are fine too. Once you start touching downpipes and tunes thats where you'll have issues.
      03-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Typically downpipe back exhaust mods won't cause any issues. wheels, cosmetics etc.. are fine too. Once you start touching downpipes and tunes thats where you'll have issues.
Those are certainly more problematic mods for warranty claims. That said, again with the caveat around a US based customer, the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act protects us from BMW simply saying that it affects a part or function in the car. They actually have to prove it.

I say this because BMW, especially the HQ will always default to the weak link being any aftermarket part in the food chain. For example:

Customer: "I have a weird noise coming from my the top end of my motor"
BMW: "I see that you put a K&N Filter in the car. That's the reason for the problem. Warranty denied!"

Of course that wouldn't be the issue but pick the mufflers use case. If you failed US emissions, BMW might be inclined to point to the aftermarket mufflers installed. They would be incorrect and it would be appropriate to stand your ground and cite the Act as a backup.

Using the OP muffler mod again, if the cat, pipe and muffler were a single piece and the cat failed but you had replaced the mufflers....they would have to replace their failed part - at zero cost to you. Although, they wouldn't be inclined or be required to remount your aftermarket mufflers.

This is the same legislation that doesn't require a car to have its service done at the dealership only. Speed shops using similar parts are just as good and the MMWA just makes it illegal to say otherwise. Again, in the US only.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
saadG05
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M KIT

Garage List
Thank you guys. I really appreciate the comments. based on your comments i don't think I'm going to mod the car for now.
Appreciate 0