06-26-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
What's up with Brawn?

Why is the playing field so different this season? Button is kicking ass and Lewis is no where to be seen. WTF?

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
My opinion:

Brawn gave up on the 2008 season and started their development of the 2009 car earlier than Ferrari and McLaren, who continued to heavily investin/develop their 2008 cars as they were in a heated race for #1 last year.

Ross Brawn closely read the revised rules of the 2009 FIA regulaitons and developed their rear diffuser to act as a 2nd wing, improving the downforce vs the other cars. Even as Honda left the sport, he was very bullish on 2009.

F1 requires great cars, you can put Hamilton in the Brawn, and he would be winning as well. To have Hamilton go from #1 to the rear is due to the machinery rather than his driving skill.
      06-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
My opinion:

Brawn gave up on the 2008 season and started their development of the 2009 car earlier than Ferrari and McLaren, who continued to heavily investin/develop their 2008 cars as they were in a heated race for #1 last year.

Ross Brawn closely read the revised rules of the 2009 FIA regulaitons and developed their rear diffuser to act as a 2nd wing, improving the downforce vs the other cars. Even as Honda left the sport, he was very bullish on 2009.

F1 requires great cars, you can put Hamilton in the Brawn, and he would be winning as well. To have Hamilton go from #1 to the rear is due to the machinery rather than his driving skill.
+1, I would also add that it is not simple to "copy/develop" a similar rear diffuser since each part of the car is designed to work in conjunction with all other parts in the car. So simply adapting a similar diffuser may not (and actually has not) work as efficiently as in the Brawn. This season I think is over for McLaren and Ferrari. Expect some improvement by the end of the season but it is better to focus on next years platform.
      06-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
+1, I would also add that it is not simple to "copy/develop" a similar rear diffuser since each part of the car is designed to work in conjunction with all other parts in the car. So simply adapting a similar diffuser may not (and actually has not) work as efficiently as in the Brawn. This season I think is over for McLaren and Ferrari. Expect some improvement by the end of the season but it is better to focus on next years platform.
+1

You can see many teams tried to use DDD and still havn't got the pace....

If you start with a good car like Redbull's....a good design can be quick even without the tricked diffusor.....
      06-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Reb Bull and Vettel FTW !!! Hopefully battle between Jenson and vettel goes to Abu Dabi.. Championship decided on a brand new track to everyone would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Shevon
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

The field will be closer next year for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Why is the playing field so different this season? Button is kicking ass and Lewis is no where to be seen. WTF?

sorry to say this, but the engine Honda was using on the chassis before Brawn bought it out must have been a real dog. performs like a champ now that it has Merc power.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
sorry to say this, but the engine Honda was using on the chassis before Brawn bought it out must have been a real dog. performs like a champ now that it has Merc power.
I'm sure the experience of chassis development that Brawn brought with him must have helped too.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Here is an article that explains their chassis advantage

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...29102102.shtml

"After the car won three-quarters of every race so far under the 2009 regulations, Alex Wurz has revealed the secret of the Brawn BGP 001.

At times last year, the team's predecessor Honda had five wind tunnels at its disposal, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, as well as a half-billion euro budget.

"The car was taken in three different directions in the wind tunnel," test driver Wurz told News. "Two directions were found to be wrong, so the team could just switch."

Amid the shock of the global economic situation, Honda then pulled out and the Brackley team was rescued by a management buyout headed by Ross Brawn.

"The Brawn is probably the most expensive car with the lowest operating budget ever," the Austrian admitted.

Wurz meanwhile gives Sebastian Vettel ‘ten out of ten’ for dominating last time out at Silverstone, but doubts Red Bull will have it so easily for the remainder of the season.

"I would say that Brawn and Red Bull are at eye-level, and success from now on will depend on the circuits."
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
Here is an article that explains their chassis advantage

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...29102102.shtml

"After the car won three-quarters of every race so far under the 2009 regulations, Alex Wurz has revealed the secret of the Brawn BGP 001.

At times last year, the team's predecessor Honda had five wind tunnels at its disposal, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, as well as a half-billion euro budget.

"The car was taken in three different directions in the wind tunnel," test driver Wurz told News. "Two directions were found to be wrong, so the team could just switch."

Amid the shock of the global economic situation, Honda then pulled out and the Brackley team was rescued by a management buyout headed by Ross Brawn.

"The Brawn is probably the most expensive car with the lowest operating budget ever," the Austrian admitted.

Wurz meanwhile gives Sebastian Vettel ‘ten out of ten’ for dominating last time out at Silverstone, but doubts Red Bull will have it so easily for the remainder of the season.

"I would say that Brawn and Red Bull are at eye-level, and success from now on will depend on the circuits."
Good information.