BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 & 2022 X5

Parking Brake Error - Cannot Shift Into Gear

Got this error last night (G05 40i) and was not able to drive the car as the parking brake would not disengage. The car would not let me shift into any gear, no matter what I did. Eventually had it towed to the dealer, but no idea what is causing the issue.

Has this happen to anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Yes. It happened to me yesterday in my driveway. Somehow I inadvertently activated parking assist. I couldn’t put it into either forward or reverse. It kept going back to park.

I was kinda panicking. At one point it told me to let go of the wheel, but it couldn’t find the parking space. Once it did that I realized it was in auto parking mode, somehow, and was able to disengage it.

But, it was scary. I hope yours is a similarly simple fix. Please keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecraze View Post
Got this error last night (G05 40i) and was not able to drive the car as the parking brake would not disengage. The car would not let me shift into any gear, no matter what I did. Eventually had it towed to the dealer, but no idea what is causing the issue.

Has this happen to anyone?
I've never seen that, but definitely something the dealer needs to address.
      06-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did it again to me today.
The problem was that a door was ajar.
Instead of telling me this, iDrive had some crackass message on the screen. When I looked at the dash I could see the door ajar.
I think that is what happened the first time.

davecraze
Do you have an update on your car?
Do you know what happened?
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      06-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Instead of telling me this, iDrive had some crackass message on the screen. When I looked at the dash I could see the door ajar.

davecraze
This happens to me too on my 2011 X3. Sometimes I'm in my driveway and just want to move the car forward 1/2 wheel revolution so I can clean the bottom of the tires and put the gook on them. I start the car but leave the drivers door open and one leg hanging out, I put it in Drive, the car starts to move the tiniest bit but then stops dead and puts itself back into Park and yells at me via the iDrive display. Safety crap
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The iDrive screen should simply say “your door is ajar”.
So so stupid.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      06-22-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:

davecraze
This happens to me too on my 2011 X3. Sometimes I'm in my driveway and just want to move the car forward 1/2 wheel revolution so I can clean the bottom of the tires and put the gook on them. I start the car but leave the drivers door open and one leg hanging out, I put it in Drive, the car starts to move the tiniest bit but then stops dead and puts itself back into Park and yells at me via the iDrive display. Safety crap
It's called rollaway protection and in an automatic transmission it's a good idea. That's why you never see videos of BMWs running away as their owners chase them down the street.
Appreciate 3
wrickem2101.00
gpitts247.00
thereef5101163.00
      06-23-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:

davecraze
It's called rollaway protection and in an automatic transmission it's a good idea. That's why you never see videos of BMWs running away as their owners chase them down the street.
I think that's a great safety feature, although annoying. At least if you have your seatbelt on, it won't put itself in Park when you crack the door to see the lines unlike other manufacturers.
      06-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is definitely a good feature, but it would be so much easier if the car told you in the iDrive screen, not the dashboard, that a door is ajar. Maybe they will fix that.

I tend to look at the iDrive screen most of the time. I’m attempting to get more in the habit of watching the dash while driving, but sitting still I never do.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
gpitts
Captain
Rep

I'm reading davecraze's issue to be different than a door being open. I read his post to mean that his parking brake would not release. Guess we'll need to wait on his update.
      06-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
I'm reading davecraze's issue to be different than a door being open. I read his post to mean that his parking brake would not release. Guess we'll need to wait on his update.
If I remember correctly someone had the same issue earlier this year. They needed to get it transported to the dealer and a new gear selector replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
He hasn’t responded, so maybe it was just a door ajar. It would be somewhat embarrassing to report that. I sure hope it wasn’t a faulty parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
He hasn't responded, so maybe it was just a door ajar. It would be somewhat embarrassing to report that. I sure hope it wasn't a faulty parking brake.
If you read his post, he is stating that he is seeing a "Parking Brake Error" message. You don't get that by having the door open. The parking brake releases no problem with the door open - no error message. I verified this morning.
      06-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you read his post, he is stating that he is seeing a "Parking Brake Error" message. You don't get that by having the door open. The parking brake releases no problem with the door open - no error message. I verified this morning.
No, it doesn’t. I got some convoluted safety message as well, can’t recall what it said. Roll prevention I think was the topic. Were you in sport mode? Maybe that makes a difference.

But it just popped back into park from either drive or reverse. Maybe that wasn’t the parking break, but since it is automatic in this car you have no control over it. I even tried releasing the brake with the button on the console. Didn’t work.

I thought my door was closed, but it wasn’t. Happened the first time as well.

I hope he checks back in. It will be interesting to see what the problem was.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, it doesn't. I got some convoluted safety message as well, can't recall what it said. Roll prevention I think was the topic. Were you in sport mode? Maybe that makes a difference.

But it just popped back into park from either drive or reverse. Maybe that wasn't the parking break, but since it is automatic in this car you have no control over it. I even tried releasing the brake with the button on the console. Didn't work.

I thought my door was closed, but it wasn't. Happened the first time as well.

I hope he checks back in. It will be interesting to see what the problem was.
Nope, was in Comfort mode but I'd be surprised if that makes a difference (I will try later today and will report back if it makes a difference). All I can report is what my vehicle does.... I released the brake with the vehicle started and the door open (it won't release if the vehicle is not started).
      06-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep

"Non-Update" Update - The car is at the dealership, but they have not yet spent time with it to diagnose the problem. They did confirm that they also cannot shift it into gear or get the parking brake to release.
Appreciate 1
gpitts247.00
      06-28-2019, 07:34 PM   #17
davecraze
Private First Class
Rep

Actual Update - Apparently, I somehow got liquid spilled in the gearshift and shorted it out. $1,700 for new gear shift assembly and installation, so good times. On the bright side, there was a little scratch on the old gear shift lever shiny black plastic (I don't have the crystal package) that I never noticed when I picked up the car and it was bothering me. Now all fixed. So I've got that going for me...which is nice.
Appreciate 4
TurtleBoy12880.50
gpitts247.00
LexxM31697.50
thereef5101163.00
      06-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
gpitts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actual Update - Apparently, I somehow got liquid spilled in the gearshift and shorted it out. $1,700 for new gear shift assembly and installation, so good times. On the bright side, there was a little scratch on the old gear shift lever shiny black plastic (I don't have the crystal package) that I never noticed when I picked up the car and it was bothering me. Now all fixed. So I've got that going for me...which is nice.
That was a VERY expensive Starbucks drink!
      02-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
rx340
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:
How long ago did the coffee spilled on the center console before the gear/parking brake failure happened? Same incident happened here today on my M340.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #20
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Wow!.

Last edited by FreddyBMW; 02-26-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #21
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

Quote:
My dealers have the same issue with my new G05 they changed the center console cover now it won't engage gear.. FmL parts have to come feom Germany
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #22
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

Handbrake
Appreciate 0