No_Country
Rep
Drives: x5m, GTR, 992 GT3

Dinan full cat-back exhaust

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Im selling full dinan cat-back due to wife… exhaust about ten weeks old or less. She does not like cold start and i tried to keep it as long as possible…. Overall, i love the noise its just deeper v8!!!!
Its including x pipe and muffler so you are getting full exhaust set up.
Only for Local Northern NJ
Price: 2600

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #2
Jszlaga
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Garage List
Do you know if this fits the M50i by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 07:47 AM   #3
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

No id but I highly doubt it
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Don't sell it yet. (if you haven't already) Just get one of their exhaust controllers to shut the flap on cold start, or whenever the wife is onboard.
Test it by sticking wet rags in the outer tailpipe on cold startup. If it's quiet enough for her like that, the controller is what you need. I just ordered one yesterday after the "rag test"
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:30 PM   #5
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

Thank you for the advice. I bought dahler’s valve controller hoping i can shut off flap. Unfortunately, you can not shut off the flap manually “Only” oem mod or open flap wide open with controller. I still have exhaust on the truck and giving her excuse not finding the buyer! I love dinan set up!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 01:24 PM   #6
X5MGuy
Rep
Drives: X5 M

These guys have an option to disable cold start that I'm considering
https://www.codemybimmer.ca/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 08:36 PM   #7
Pappys1
Rep
Drives: X5M F95 , Ram Trx

Am I missing something… is this listed on their site for $2500?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 11:28 PM   #8
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

Please read the post….since you are not the first one. Its full exhaust system! X pipe n muffler!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscani View Post
Thank you for the advice. I bought dahler’s valve controller hoping i can shut off flap. Unfortunately, you can not shut off the flap manually “Only” oem mod or open flap wide open with controller. I still have exhaust on the truck and giving her excuse not finding the buyer! I love dinan set up!!!!
The Dinan valve controller is supposed to be able to open or close the valves completely at will. I'll let you know how it works.
From their site:
The Dinan Dual Exhaust Valve Remote Kit lets you override the factory exhaust valve operation and fully open (or close) the valve at the press of a button. Directly compatible with 'F' and 'G' chassis BMW's using dual electronic valves, the Dinan Dual Exhaust Valve Remote Kit is robust in its potential applications. Once installed simply press the top button of the supplied wireless remote to open the valves fully and enjoy maximum aural pleasure. Alternatively, when the need arises for the exhaust to be as quiet as possible, press the bottom button on the remote and the valves will close.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 03:43 PM   #10
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

Oh okay but i asked same question to dahler. this is answer i got from em “Unfortunately no that is not possible, closing the valve 100% would cause too much back pressure and could damage the turbo/motor. The modes allow it to open fully or close to stock "closed" specs”
I guess we pick our own for me i do not wanna take any risk.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 11:49 AM   #11
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh okay but i asked same question to dahler. this is answer i got from em “Unfortunately no that is not possible, closing the valve 100% would cause too much back pressure and could damage the turbo/motor. The modes allow it to open fully or close to stock "closed" specs”
It may be that the valve will not physically close all the way. I'll have to test that. But that's a BS answer about the back pressure.
When the valve is closed, there is still a straight 3" (actually a little bigger because it's metric) pipe going straight through the muffler. It just has a bunch of holes in it to dissipate the sound waves into the packing material. That's not going to cause a bunch of back pressure.
Appreciate 1
tscani10.50
      12-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Got any sound clips?
I actually like the cold start.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 05:36 PM   #13
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

I dm you back. Let me know if you have any other questions
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 05:36 PM   #14
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK. I installed the Dinan Controller and it works as advertised. Push the button and the valve snaps shut immediately. Hit it again and it opens. There is a significant difference in loudness. It was pretty easy to install as well. I think it took about a half hour.
Pretty good for $200.

Would you mind sticking wet towels in the outer pipes and seeing how much quieter it is just on a cold start? Pull them out before the cold start sequence is over to see the difference. I, as well as some others, would be curious to know the results.

Assuming the "quiet side" of the Dinan is reasonably quiet, I'm going to buy the Dinan Exhaust now that I know the controller works.

I have to assume that Dahler was referring to running it wide open, under boost, in their statement about back pressure. Even then, I doubt it would be a problem. Certainly letting it idle for a minute isn't going to hurt it. The guys at Dinan aren't exactly idiots either.

BTW. Your price, considering it has the mid-pipe included, is $1000 off the new price. If you still want to sell it, somebody is getting a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:56 PM   #15
tscani
Private
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the update
I will try the wet towel this weekend or next
Dinan is not that loud. Its just enough for daily driving and true v8 noise that should have from oem. Just cold start lil more louder than oem lol. Well, if i find local buyer i would happily sell it so that i don’t have to give excuses everyday lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 07:31 PM   #16
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is particularly loud because I have downpipes as well. Those made a pretty big difference themselves. Then I added a mid-pipe with no resonator and an x-pipe. Together, it's a lot louder than it was.
I had the Dinan with a similar downpipe, x-pipe setup on my F85. I liked the sound a lot.
I get a great deal on Dinan stuff since Holley bought them out. I probably spend $100K at Holley yearly. I just order what I want and it gets buried in all the other stuff I buy for my shop.
Thanks for trying the towel trick. I'll bet it makes quite a difference.
Besides designing supercharger systems, fuel systems, etc. I've done a lot of work on modified exhausts over the years. I like stuff like that.
I had an F10 M5 that I grafted a pair of 2016 Corvette Z06 mufflers onto. I had to cut them in half and weld a flat top on to get them in the car. I had the valves working and everything.
It sounded awesome.
Appreciate 1
tscani10.50