BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
Vitola
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

No Server Connection, 2024 X5.

Hi all,

So on my 2024 X5 XDrive 40i, I almost constantly have a No Server Connection when using voice command or when trying to utilize anything that requires some sort of internet connectivity. Another example is podcasts. When searching where podcasts are usually listed, it will say something along the lines of "no internet connection, please try again later". Also when it comes to system or app updates, it will search and search and search (for days) and never come up with anything. Obviously there is a connectivity issue here.

I've only had the car for about 5 1/2 weeks. It used to work perfect, for about a week or two. Then it just doesn't seem to work at all anymore.

What's the deal? Has anyone experienced this and fixed it? I have made no changes to any settings. But these iDrive systems have a mind of their own it seems, and they decide how things should be operated. Not you.

I really don't want to make a trip to the dealer. I don't trust my local dealer due to horrible experiences with them in the past and I bought the car out of town to avoid them, so I can't quite go to the dealer I purchased from without making a trip out of it. Also, my local dealer is tremendously backed up anyway.

I've searched the net for an answer on this, but all I've come up with is issues on the iX, and none match mine exactly.

Thanks for your help, guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

You are the second person to post this in the last day. It could be there is an outage but I would think we would hear from many more especially since the other person was not in your region.

Give ConnectedDrive a call and see if they have any more info. When it happened to me years ago they replaced the head unit too try and solve it but it turned out to be a server syncing issue between BMW and ATT.
      12-20-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You are the second person to post this in the last day. It could be there is an outage but I would think we would hear from many more especially since the other person was not in your region.

Give ConnectedDrive a call and see if they have any more info. When it happened to me years ago they replaced the head unit too try and solve it but it turned out to be a server syncing issue between BMW and ATT.
I'm sorry. I didn't know another person posted the same thing recently. I never saw it.

Wow... So since it wasn't your head unit causing the problem, when did the problem finally get resolved?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitola View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't know another person posted the same thing recently. I never saw it.

Wow... So since it wasn't your head unit causing the problem, when did the problem finally get resolved?
The first time it was in for a week and a half and I ended up having to postpone a month-long vacation because of it. They replaced the TCU and still nothing worked. They, and the BMW engineers, were pondering the next step and all of a sudden it started working.

All was fine for a few months and then everything went out again. That time it was in for about three weeks and one of the things they did was replace the head unit but the connection still didn't work. They finally were able to get the right people in BMW and ATT to look at things and they were able to fix the server issue.
      12-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #5
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
The first time it was in for a week and a half and I ended up having to postpone a month-long vacation because of it. They replaced the TCU and still nothing worked. They, and the BMW engineers, were pondering the next step and all of a sudden it started working.

All was fine for a few months and then everything went out again. That time it was in for about three weeks and one of the things they did was replace the head unit but the connection still didn't work. They finally were able to get the right people in BMW and ATT to look at things and they were able to fix the server issue.
Wow... Unreal!

I just got off the phone with Connected Drive/BMW Assist. The rep checked everything out on his end and said all of my settings were appropriate and that my account was good. He ran me through a reboot of iDrive and searches for updates, but still the problem persisted. I also explained to him that in the menu bar in the upper right hand corner, I would intermittently get an icon of a globe with a shield next to it, which would signify that I had no connectivity. He says "Ooooh, something is blocking your connectivity". He said he could do no more, but that IT could probably fix my connectivity remotely and that he would have to create a ticket for that. He did so and said it could take anywhere between 4 and 12 business days to hear back, but he also said since it seems like just a connectivity block, it could be resolved far sooner than that. But, he was confident it would get resolved. We left it at that. He was helpful. We'll see what happens...

Figured I'd share this interaction here in case anyone else searches for this in the future. I'll continue to provide updates as I receive them.

Thanks for the suggestion on calling them though! I wasn't even aware I could do that. I thought I was going to have to go to the dealer with this issue. Thank goodness I haven't had to do that yet. Probably won't ever do it anyway. I highly doubt they'll be able to do anything except damage my vehicle (which they did to my brand new 2021 530i a couple of years ago)...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Vitola try a telematics reboot since the server connection appears to be ok. it takes less than 2 minutes. report back.

and check your Data Privacy settings
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Vitola try a telematics reboot since the server connection airways to be ok. it takes less than 2 minutes. report back.

and check your Data Privacy settings

Thanks for the response!

Data Privacy settings are in the appropriate setting to allow for all services.

How do I do a telematics reboot?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response!

Data Privacy settings are in the appropriate setting to allow for all services.

How do I do a telematics reboot?
hold down media VOL button through 3 consecutive reboots. can let go of the button upon seeing the third startup screen
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #9
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
hold down media VOL button through 3 consecutive reboots. can let go of the button upon seeing the third startup screen
Interesting. Okay, I'll give this a shot! Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 04:56 AM   #10
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Mine stopped working during a trip yesterday. Will do the telematics reboot this morning before I continue my trip.

Can some please remind me - server connection is required for DAP, isn’t it?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 09:44 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Mine stopped working during a trip yesterday. Will do the telematics reboot this morning before I continue my trip.

Can some please remind me - server connection is required for DAP, isn’t it?
It has been mentioned that for the LCI it needs to contact the sever to verify DAP is active. I have never seen any documentation on that but given at some point it may expire that makes sense.
CeEl479.00
      01-02-2024, 03:56 PM   #12
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
Update - It worked fine for a week or so after my phone call with Connected Drive, but as of today, it stopped working again. Also, as stated before, on the menu bar in the upper right hand corner, the key and the globe & shield symbols change back and forth. No idea what this means. I haven't read the owners manual on this yet. I've also noticed that when there are connectivity issues, the SiriusXM channel I was listening to when I shut the car off has now changed to the SiriusXM preview channel when I come back to start the car again, rather than just staying where I was last listening.

This is all super annoying. How can such expensive cars not operate properly? Why can't BMW seem to figure this out? They love to showoff their technology and connected features, but then they don't even work properly.

nZtiZia, do you know if doing this Triple Reboot will erase all of my settings back to factory? Am I going to have to go back in and set up all of my desired settings again?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 04:05 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
nZtiZia, do you know if doing this Triple Reboot will erase all of my settings back to factory? Am I going to have to go back in and set up all of my desired settings again?

Thanks.
It will not touch any settings so you will be fine.
      01-03-2024, 03:05 PM   #14
Vitola
Rep

Quote:
It will not touch any settings so you will be fine.
Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 04:26 PM   #15
iamamrrk
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 x30i

Same issue here, so it's definitely something on their end.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #16
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

Interesting—I came back today to find the same problem in my i5 M60. Perhaps it is on their end—was working fine before.

I did not drive the 2022 X5 today so not sure if anything either is happening there, but it is the prior iteration of iDrive so probably not.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #17
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2024 i5 M60

The 70 second reboot fixed this problem in my M60.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 11:55 AM   #18
daves27
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Same issue here:(

Also have a 2024 X5 40i, purchased end of October 2023. Connectivity was ok at first, then it turned completely off.

Called 'Genius'. Somehow my privacy settings had changed so I had to re-set those and then did 70 sec reboot (3 cycles). Issue was fixed for the last few weeks, but now I am getting intermittent "Try Later" messages again and my Connected app only sends to car sometimes.

I also have had the same experience with Sirius.. it puts itself on Ch 1 if any other problem exists

Interesting that they told you they could possibly fix this remotely. I just called again and the 'Genius' said my only option is to bring to dealership. Agree strongly that this is a ridiculous inconvenience for such an expensive vehicle!!!
Appreciate 0