12-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Did you remember MTU=9000 when programming the iSCSI switch ports?

That's Jumbo frames, right?????

Been using it for 10+ years, and built two ESXi server farms with five SANs and hot vMotion of running VMs all over the place. The only thing that confuses me with VMware is that they keep changing product branding on the individual components, so you need a reference matrix of product names to read their docs and figure out what vCenter is called this week.....
First touch of VMWare. Our ESXi hosts came direct from Dell and I'm like WTF is this, Press 1 to configure password???
We wiped 6.x and put 7.x on, but then what? Since I have no SAN to retrieve data from, they are just burning CPU cycles and warming up the room. The vendor is sending me a USB with all my virtuals to put on said SAN.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #24
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
ESXi is small enough to run from an on-board USB drive on a disk-less server, and they probably pre-installed it. It may be as simple as connecting by web browser to the host's management interface, configuring the iSCSI storage, and then creating your VMs.

If the package was purchased from Dell (who is on our vendor no-fly list so I have no experience with their hosts), I'm guessing that they shipped an EMC SAN. If so, you may be able to get away with creating all of the VMFS LUNs on your host(s) using EMC's web config pages from the SAN. It will save you a massive learning curve if you've never worked with iSCSI or SAN stuff before, since it configures ESXi and mounts the LUN(s) for you.

I strongly recommend MTU=9000 on all of your iSCSI physical ports, as well as the iSCSI virtual switches in your host(s). Also, if it is still an option on ESXi 7.x and you have multiple hosts, go with the VCSA (vCenter Service Appliance or whatever it is called these days) over installing vCenter onto Windows...
      12-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #25
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
im not expert or something MK but subconscious part is like a big library that as long as its well organized and connected to a clear mind.. which i believe what "smart" people use this better by the genetic chemicals in their brain.. environment affects as well.. problems or informations can be picked up like HDD on PC's.. during the day because of external things that we need to do, stress, wrong eating habits, sleep quality, noises or internal thoughts blocks most of the information is already hidden in subconscious mind..

depends on the sleeping level (they have their own names as you know) either you have a great sleep or almost at the surface and not rest at all.. just for this reason a good doctor specialized in hypnosis goes to that part.. but at this point its better to forget the "show" part of hypnosis that we see on Youtube most of them are fake.. probably at some level before waking up you picked up that information and brought it with you which was already waiting over there..

i had few dreams were pretty creative i noted them.. but if you wake up from a dream with a thought that disturbs you.. thats called obsession thats another story..

such a nice topic.. reminded me Limitless movie.. was a great movie..
Thanks yco! This is high praise coming from you. It provides a pretty good explanation of the dream cycles in easy to understand terms.

On the twilight sleep you describe, I have had that experience many times. In my experience, it feels as if you are almost floating with your mind disconnected from your body allowing your mind to function with more clarity.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
yco5737.50
      12-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #26
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Last dream I even remember was had during a medical procedure, and it was EPIC. Walking on the beach in Cabo, and as vivid as they get. I have never had an A-HA moment while dreaming. I have had many in the morning shower, though. Thinking of my day to come, and back on the day before with a clear head seems to work for me.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      12-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #27
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Why does this thread make me think of "things I can do in my sleep"?
Like rebuilding an original VW flat four, or a 2002 motor. Or the whole cars, for that matter!

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
vreihen1615268.00
      12-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #28
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Why does this thread make me think of "things I can do in my sleep"?
Like rebuilding an original VW flat four, or a 2002 motor. Or the whole cars, for that matter!

Murf
Nice! Not owning a 2002 is one of my great regrets...
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #29
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Nice! Not owning a 2002 is one of my great regrets...
I had four. Probably my favorite car of all time.
I hopped up every one of them!

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      12-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #30
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I had four. Probably my favorite car of all time.
I hopped up every one of them!

Murf
I've driven a few and they were all completely pure. I can say this about older 911's as well. Just pure.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615268.00
Littlebear3509.50
      12-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #31
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I had a very interesting experience which I thought I'd share here.

I've been working on a complicated algorithm for the last 2 or 3 weeks and the final resolution of the problem set has eluded me for the last few days. I have been close but upon checking work, it was always slightly off. It has really hacked me off.

Now here is the rub and please bear with me: My current gf is several years (16) younger than me and had never seen The Wire. This is something that was intolerable and I had to correct immediately. For the last 10 days we've been binging it and finally finished on Sunday. She loved it.

Last night I dreamt that I was sitting with Lester Freamon from The Wire in the crappy office they used and he was walking me through the problem set. Once he finished the explanation I awakened and went to my office and made the changes, "Lester", explained in the dream and "BAM"...problem solved. I sat there stunned for a moment the got up and made my coffee.

My general problem solving methodology is to study a problem and all of the information I can put my hands on with regard to it's solution then think intensely and model as much as I can. I can't ever remember a solution coming to me through a dream in this manner.

Does anyone else have this experience? If so, please share.

Cheers-mk
I learned long ago that solutions to problems I was struggling with came to mind when I wasn't really thinking about the problem. Sometimes that occurred in the middle of the night, while my so-called mind was relaxed.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0