BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-26-2024, 07:05 PM   #1
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

I had to take my M3 in for oil change and brake flush today. To my surprise they gave me an X7 M60 loaded. Usually I get a base 4 cylinder 3 series so this was a treat!

Had the wife with me and since we just got our 40i X5 2 weeks ago it was great to compare the two. We obviously took this for some miles and really tested it out.

-The V8. I mean wow is all I can say. This thing is crazy fast and I really am in awe of this power train. It is so much quicker than the B58 even though that is no slouch. I absolutely want an X5 50/60 now lol. I can't imagine what the X5M is like. I honestly thought about it for a minute of trading my M3 in for one. I store my M3 in the winters and get tired of that and it would be nice to drive something like that all year round. I took my kid for a ride and she said wow this thing is way faster than I thought it would be lol. I just couldn't stop smiling.

-The ride. This one had the air suspension. I tell you. If I traveled a lot or commuted a long ways for work on the highway this is the vehicle for that. The ride is just sublime and kept saying how nice it is.

DAP- It also came with DAP which we did not get on ours and after using it for a bit on the highway the wife and I are still glad we didn't get it. I know some say it's a must have, but we just aren't ready for it yet. Every 2 to 3 seconds I had to keep touching the steering wheel and when I'd make a lane change it would almost jerk into the lane. Maybe you get used to it all and I honestly could see it being less fatiguing on a long trip if you traveled a lot but I felt it made me less attentive and in control. Just our 2 cents though and I know many like it.

Seats- It had the massage and ventilation. It was actually more comfortable than I thought it would be over the miles we drove. When testing out other versions before with the same feature we didn't like them. We still would go without the massage even though on a very long trip I think they would be nice but the seat comfort does lack to us compared to our X5 with nothing in them. I might actually have changed my mind on the ventilated. I played with them for quite some time and they do work okay but are noisy. 50/50 on if I'd spec them or not at least now.

So in the end what a great car the X7 is especially with that special V8. I see why so many spend the extra to get that engine. I would smile everyday but we both said I'd go through gas like crazy lol.

While I was at the dealer I decided to ask about the 0w-12 that is needed in the B58 as I will do some oil changes on my own. There was 2 mechanics and a service advisor I talked to. I asked if there was another oil that could be used like 0w-20 or 0w-30. Obviously they were covering their butts, but they said 0w-20 is as high as they'd go for now. I asked is this all about fuel mileage and they said it's a big part but also that this updated engine has tighter tolerances. I asked if they had it in the bulk tanks and they said no. They have to use the bottles for it as all they have is 20 and 30 in the bulk. One of the mechanics grabbed a bottle of 0w-12 and 0w-20 for me and told me to shake them. The 0w-12 acted and sounded like a bottle of water. I was like you serious? They actually laughed and said yeah. They gave me that look like yeah we don't like it either. I'll definitely look into it more down the road.

It was a fun day. I always like going to the dealer to look around and maybe like today try something new in a good loaner or test drive. It's a great way for the dealers and BMW to show off products and it proved worthy today for me. I am absolutely sold on the V8 and really, really want one. When I got back into the M3 though I said nope, not getting rid of it. Rowing my own gears and sitting low with a stiff suspension just feels right for now. Cars are great aren't they? Who has more fun than people with fun cars?

Cheers!
Attached Images

Cityman188.50
chicagofan0019219.50
matowi296.50
      04-26-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Good, quick review...lots of folks here will appreciate your feedback, for sure. And yes, the X5M Competition is a....BEAST!
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1363.50
      04-26-2024, 07:40 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Good feedback on the X7. As far as the ventilated seats, I always keep mine on two since they can be heard when on full.

In regards to DAP, you are supposed to keep your hand on the wheel. Assisted Driving Plus (hands free) is only available on certain highways and last I saw you had to be logged into an active ConnectedDrive account for it to activate.

I think having an X5 along with a sedan is the perfect combination and not sure I could ever go back to having just one. I like the X5 for the comfort and luxury, and of course road trips, and it is usually the vehicle my wife wants us to take when we are going someplace. It feels good though to get into the M340i and enjoy the different driving perspective, handling, etc.
LuckyBrand1363.50
matowi296.50
      04-26-2024, 07:53 PM   #4
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Good feedback on the X7. As far as the ventilated seats, I always keep mine on two since they can be heard when on full.

In regards to DAP, you are supposed to keep your hand on the wheel. Assisted Driving Plus (hands free) is only available on certain highways and last I saw you had to be logged into an active ConnectedDrive account for it to activate.

I think having an X5 along with a sedan is the perfect combination and not sure I could ever go back to having just one. I like the X5 for the comfort and luxury, and of course road trips, and it is usually the vehicle my wife wants us to take when we are going someplace. It feels good though to get into the M340i and enjoy the different driving perspective, handling, etc.
Yeah 1 or 2 was exceptable for the ventilated but could here the whine from them. I would get used to it though if I drove it all the time.

Thanks for the info on DAP. Figured more to learn on it and I was probably missing some knowledge on the feature. In 10 years it will be standard and seamless on probably every vehicle.

Yeah I took the wife's x5 f15 as my daily now. I had a beater truck I've been using last couple years and it's a huge upgrade for me lol. It is like you said best of both worlds for me now minus its not a v8 lol. When I got back in the m3 after driving the big X7 it felt like a go cart lol. My sister just got an m340i and it's a great car. I really like them. Fast, comfortable and good handling.
      04-26-2024, 09:47 PM   #5
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Nice write up! I agree with you and others here though that an X5 or X7 and a sedan are a really great combo. I have an F80 M3 CS and an X5 M60. These two couldn’t be any more different from each other but are great in their own right and am glad to be able to switch between them. Funny thing is I had an X7 M60 loaner before as well and I felt it was no more comfortable than my X5 which does not have air suspension. I was expecting it to be smoother. Enjoy your M3 and X5!
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1363.50
      04-26-2024, 10:10 PM   #6
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I came from Corvettes, if you're an M3 guy you're likely very familiar with their taillights. I kid I kid (not really).

The v8 in the M50 is tremendous, and honestly it really makes speed kind of silly. With DHP it corners so incredibly flat and fast, it kind of makes it seem silly to have a sedan. If it's not a manual transmission, super engaging car... It's kind of pointless.

I sometimes wish I had gone X7 M50i. I didn't need the extra space, but X5 is always a little tighter than I'd like.

FWIW, DAP is basically standard on everything else. Radar cruise is standard on all Toyotas, it's hard to not get it on a decently option Ford, most huh dai and Kia, Hondas, etc etc. BMW is just WAYYY behind on making it standard and common, and bundle it with other silly stuff. It should be standard on X3 and above.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1363.50
      04-27-2024, 05:02 AM   #7
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I came from Corvettes, if you're an M3 guy you're likely very familiar with their taillights. I kid I kid (not really).

The v8 in the M50 is tremendous, and honestly it really makes speed kind of silly. With DHP it corners so incredibly flat and fast, it kind of makes it seem silly to have a sedan. If it's not a manual transmission, super engaging car... It's kind of pointless.

I sometimes wish I had gone X7 M50i. I didn't need the extra space, but X5 is always a little tighter than I'd like.

FWIW, DAP is basically standard on everything else. Radar cruise is standard on all Toyotas, it's hard to not get it on a decently option Ford, most huh dai and Kia, Hondas, etc etc. BMW is just WAYYY behind on making it standard and common, and bundle it with other silly stuff. It should be standard on X3 and above.
Yeah I'll admit the versions of M3s I buy will always be looking at the taillights of many cars. I like manual trannys so I'll always be trailing but I'm okay with that. It's the overall packages I enjoy with them.

Yeah I wouldn't get a 50 or 60 without the DHP. I'd want the best handling version and like you said and I've heard from others it just makes the big heavy tank handle like it shouldn't. It really does make a compelling choice to just have one as your only dual threat/purpose vehicle.

I agree. The X7 just gives a few extra inches of room over the X5. It's a nice place to be.

Many things these luxury nickle and dimers are behind on compared to others that offer options as standard. But in other areas their obviously ahead in. Powertrains, build quality and materials. Although some brands are doing that much better as well. It's all in what you want/value for your dollars I guess.
      04-27-2024, 07:16 AM   #8
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Totally agree. I was looking at Hellcat Durango type vehicles, I wanted a major powered sport SUV. The M50i won based on value prop. It didn't have the raw power of the hellcat(710hp), the Shelby super snake f150 (775hp), etc... but it was a LOT cheaper and a bit nicer. BMW hit a really nice jack of all trades middle with the M50/M60, the only things that come close are sq7 and the (much slower and cheaper and less nice) explorer ST.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1363.50