BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
hitmantb
Registered
Rep
Drives: Sienna XLE

Third Row vs GLE 2020/MDX/RX350L

Hi:

My wife tried GLE 2020 E350 and didn't enjoy the driving experience. However the third row is pretty decent for a midsize SUV just 194 inches long, it was good for her needs.

How is the 2019 X5 and 2018 X5 in this department? She is a big Lexus fan and we went to see RX350L, ready to buy, but Lexus had the record of worst third seat ever at 23.5 inches legroom, 4.5 inches less than the MDX/Highlander! We only need the seat a few times a year for our parents and occasional kids. But Lexus was beyond uncomfortable, it was the only unusable third row we ran into. It was a significant step down over Toyota's own Highlander. Heck if it was as good as the Highlander my wife would have took it.

I can not find any X5 or GLE 2020 stats. She doesn't want an 200+ inches long SUV like X7 or GLS. 2018 X5 is actually perfect for her in size, smaller the better as long as third row is still enough for emergency. She just needs it to be better than the Lexus!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Hi:

My wife tried GLE 2020 E350 and didn't enjoy the driving experience. However the third row is pretty decent for a midsize SUV just 194 inches long, it was good for her needs.

How is the 2019 X5 and 2018 X5 in this department? She is a big Lexus fan and we went to see RX350L, ready to buy, but Lexus had the record of worst third seat ever at 23.5 inches legroom, 4.5 inches less than the MDX/Highlander! We only need the seat a few times a year for our parents and occasional kids. But Lexus was beyond uncomfortable, it was the only unusable third row we ran into. It was a significant step down over Toyota's own Highlander. Heck if it was as good as the Highlander my wife would have took it.

I can not find any X5 or GLE 2020 stats. She doesn't want an 200+ inches long SUV like X7 or GLS. 2018 X5 is actually perfect for her in size, smaller the better as long as third row is still enough for emergency. She just needs it to be better than the Lexus!
I don't know if this is with the third row pushed up all the way but it could be.

2019 BMW X5 3rdRow seating dimensions

Legroom: 31.2 inches

Headroom: 34.9 inches

Shoulder room: 45.2 inches

As with the previous generation, the third-row seat is ideal for children, but can be used by adults during shorter commutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
hitmantb
Registered
Rep
Drives: Sienna XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post
I don't know if this is with the third row pushed up all the way but it could be.

As with the previous generation, the third-row seat is ideal for children, but can be used by adults during shorter commutes.
Thanks! 31.2 is outstanding and quite a big better than MDX's 28.1!

For tall Europeans it is probably indeed kids only, for Asians especially older generation it is not so bad! It is only 0.7 less than XC90 which is widely considered as a comfortable third row in Asian community for this segment.

I can't seem to order a 2019 X5 with this third row seat however. Do you by any chance have 2018 X5 third row spec? It is shorter by 2 inches and narrower by 3 inches, my wife actually loves this. If third row is no worse than MDX/Highlander I think we will take it!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
RyBMW2
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, E70, 18 XC90

Stay away from the RX350L. That has to be the worst implementation of a 3rd row seat ever. If your wife is a big Lexus fan, maybe consider the GX.

Other luxury SUVs with 3rd row seats to consider besides the MDX:
XC90
Discovery
Q7

I replaced my E70 because I needed a 3rd row seat and the G05 with 3rd row seat option wasn't going to be available anytime. This was last summer. I went with the XC90. No regrets.

I shopped the MDX and Q7.

I really liked the Sport Hybrid MDX but no dealers around me had any in stock, even for test drives. The MDX also had a lot of outdated tech, that is already available on the new RDX. I'm guessing Acura is saving it for the next gen MDX. I also had bad quality experiences with multiple TLs back in 2004/2005.

The Q7 has a nice supercharged V6. Ultimately I just didn't like the exterior design and the smallish 3rd row and cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
Stinkyxy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyxy View Post

Thanks! 31.2 is outstanding and quite a big better than MDX's 28.1!

For tall Europeans it is probably indeed kids only, for Asians especially older generation it is not so bad! It is only 0.7 less than XC90 which is widely considered as a comfortable third row in Asian community for this segment.

I can't seem to order a 2019 X5 with this third row seat however. Do you by any chance have 2018 X5 third row spec? It is shorter by 2 inches and narrower by 3 inches, my wife actually loves this. If third row is no worse than MDX/Highlander I think we will take it!
I'd caution on the third row. It really is a jumper seats and though you can use it for kids I'm not sure that I would put adults back there.

The issue with third row seats is that they sit low to the floor. So your thighs aren't parallel to the floor. This is what makes full size third rows comfortable and is more of what the X7 and GLS, among other true third rows, achieve.

It's not the back seat of a 911 but I would say close. At 5'9 I could sit there do a short trip but not for too long. Grandparents- forget it. They could barely squeeze between to two rows to get into the third row.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Excepting cargo/passenger full size vans, the only truly comfortable 3rd row for full size adults is in a Minivan
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50