BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #45
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You'd have to check, but my guess is that snow socks don't qualify as tire chains to most agencies. Not to say that they may not help, but a chain would work better.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:55 PM   #46
brad_saggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Chains arrived, easy to install and they fit well. Hopefully I don't need them, but I'm glad I have them!
Apologies for reviving an old thread. In case someone is viewing this thread from "searching" for chains, I'd like to point that the yellow clip in the fasteners have to be installed the other way as shown in this picture. The smooth side should be facing inside otherwise the yellow clips might come off when rubbing against the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #47
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_saggy View Post
Apologies for reviving an old thread. In case someone is viewing this thread from "searching" for chains, I'd like to point that the yellow clip in the fasteners have to be installed the other way as shown in this picture. The smooth side should be facing inside otherwise the yellow clips might come off when rubbing against the wheel.
Well, as long as you woke up the thread, I've been wondering why the manual for my 45e says to put chains on the rear wheels. For my previous AWD cars they always went on the front.

Is that because of the extra weight from the battery in the rear, or is there some other unspecified reason?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:50 AM   #48
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

I’ve just bought these and have set them up for my M60 with 315/35’. They fit really nice and have no chain on the inside of the tyre so won’t rub or hit anything there. They seem to be really low profile and relatively easy to install - cost an arm and a leg and hopefully will never be used
Attached Images

2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:02 AM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieintexas View Post
I’ve just bought these and have set them up for my M60 with 315/35’. They fit really nice and have no chain on the inside of the tyre so won’t rub or hit anything there. They seem to be really low profile and relatively easy to install - cost an arm and a leg and hopefully will never be used
I probably wouldn't take the chance with those and if anything happens drivetrain wise who knows if BMW would void the warranty for some reason.
      02-18-2024, 09:13 AM   #50
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I probably wouldn't take the chance with those and if anything happens drivetrain wise who knows if BMW would void the warranty for some reason.
Take the chance? In what regard? Putting them on with 315’s or using them at all? How would they do damage to the drive train?
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:27 AM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Take the chance? In what regard? Putting them on with 315’s or using them at all? How would they do damage to the drive train?
Taking a chance for two reasons. I wouldn't run summer tires in cold/snow/ice, assuming you aren't running A/S, but also because BMW says tire chains should only be used on 19" and 20" wheels. I'm not saying that it can cause damage to the drivetrain just that if something were to happen and they found out you were using tire chains they may bring that up, you know how warranty claims can be.
      02-18-2024, 11:30 AM   #52
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

$795 ??? Damn I will rent a proper 4wd for the trip. And as turtle boy said, you better have A/S tires as well. Chains are on rear axle for bmw. Your front are still responsive for turning and majority of braking.
X3_Alaska142.00
      02-18-2024, 12:33 PM   #53
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
$795 ??? Damn I will rent a proper 4wd for the trip. And as turtle boy said, you better have A/S tires as well. Chains are on rear axle for bmw. Your front are still responsive for turning and majority of braking.
Yes, I put A/S tires on. I do 2 to 3 trips a year to Colorado so it is worth the cost. I have chains for my wife’s 45e which has 20’s and have used hers for the last 2 years have not had to use them yet - touch wood. I don’t consider this an irresponsible modification that may cause problems or warranty issues. It is insurance in case things go pear shaped. Even though the manual says only on 20’s I would be interested to hear what the logic on that is? The diameter is the same right - across 20, 21 and 22’s with the reduction in tyre profile ensuring that. There is less clearance on the inside of the wheel but as noted these do not protrude over the inside of the rim. I set them up yesterday and fitted them and they are extremely low profile.

Oh, good luck renting a ‘proper’ 4wd for a week for $795 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 12:26 AM   #54
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Well, as long as you woke up the thread, I've been wondering why the manual for my 45e says to put chains on the rear wheels. For my previous AWD cars they always went on the front.

Is that because of the extra weight from the battery in the rear, or is there some other unspecified reason?
Probably because it’s rear axle biased awd…….
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 12:45 AM   #55
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photographer918 View Post
Probably because it’s rear axle biased awd…….
This is the reason. It is not related 45e or battery weight. A fwd platform awd car, chains go on front.
      02-19-2024, 12:56 AM   #56
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I put A/S tires on. I do 2 to 3 trips a year to Colorado so it is worth the cost. I have chains for my wife’s 45e which has 20’s and have used hers for the last 2 years have not had to use them yet - touch wood. I don’t consider this an irresponsible modification that may cause problems or warranty issues. It is insurance in case things go pear shaped. Even though the manual says only on 20’s I would be interested to hear what the logic on that is? The diameter is the same right - across 20, 21 and 22’s with the reduction in tyre profile ensuring that. There is less clearance on the inside of the wheel but as noted these do not protrude over the inside of the rim. I set them up yesterday and fitted them and they are extremely low profile.

Oh, good luck renting a ‘proper’ 4wd for a week for $795 😉
I am much less concern about bmw manual. I don’t see any resin why 21 and 22 cannot fit chains on at all, other than the stock summer tires. Reduction in tire profile doesn’t impact chain performance. It may impact chain fitment, but it means the correct chain size is important, otherwise the wheels may see some scratches. . The transfer case doesn’t know the width of the tires or the tire profile as you indicated.

Does 4Runner count as proper SUV?? Sure you can rent one for a week for much less than $795, less than half. I have done it many times between returning qx60 lease and taking delivery of 22 45e, 1 year window, easily 4-5 times. Most high demand, and expansive type in my experience is minivan in my area, no kidding.
      02-19-2024, 07:25 PM   #57
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A wider tire potentially means less clearance towards the inner portion of the wheel well. The OEM options for 21 and 22” wheels tend to be a wider tire/wheel assembly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #58
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Does 4Runner count as proper SUV??
Having just traded in my 4Runner for the X5, I'll take the X5 and all seasons over the 4Runner all day long.
Hell I'll take a Subaru over the 4Runner in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:03 PM   #59
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Having just traded in my 4Runner for the X5, I'll take the X5 and all seasons over the 4Runner all day long.
Hell I'll take a Subaru over the 4Runner in the snow.
I almost want to agree. But which version of 4Runner do you have? There are two version of AWD/4WD system in 4runner. I think only the Limited trim's full time AWD system is suitable for typical non off road snow condition. I think this one will beat x5 and subaru by a large margin. The non limited trim, user selectable 2WD/4WD, this one isn't the best for typical usage. The real issue with 4runner isn't it AWD system, it is how old this platform is. It feel unrefined in today's standard
      02-21-2024, 12:57 PM   #60
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I almost want to agree. But which version of 4Runner do you have? There are two version of AWD/4WD system in 4runner. I think only the Limited trim's full time AWD system is suitable for typical non off road snow condition. I think this one will beat x5 and subaru by a large margin. The non limited trim, user selectable 2WD/4WD, this one isn't the best for typical usage. The real issue with 4runner isn't it AWD system, it is how old this platform is. It feel unrefined in today's standard
I had a TRD Offroad with KDSS. So it is 4WD not AWD.
But it's not just the difference in 4WD (and lacking slip diff on the front wheels) and AWD.
The center of gravity is much higher in the 4R so it's easier to break it free - even with a limited version. And all versions lean considerably in turns.
The way the front suspension is mounted has a steep rake to it which makes it steer kind of funny and it has some understeer, which I just hate in a car - it's one of the many reasons I hate driving Teslas.
It's tiresome to keep in the lane. So I would be exhausted on sameday trips to the mtn and back which I am not in the X5 (just did an out and back yesterday and felt great when I got home)
The ABS is so poorly implemented it is straight up dangerous. Numerous times the ABS engaged so roughly that the vehicle was jerked to the right. My friend has the same truck in CA and has experienced the same thing so I dont think it was my particular truck.

The only benefit of the 4R for mountain trips is the cargo area's size and that it has a higher ground clearance.

I went from a TDI Touareg to the 4R and was surprised in the downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:05 PM   #61
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
I had a TRD Offroad with KDSS. So it is 4WD not AWD.
But it's not just the difference in 4WD (and lacking slip diff on the front wheels) and AWD.
The center of gravity is much higher in the 4R so it's easier to break it free - even with a limited version. And all versions lean considerably in turns.
The way the front suspension is mounted has a steep rake to it which makes it steer kind of funny and it has some understeer, which I just hate in a car - it's one of the many reasons I hate driving Teslas.
It's tiresome to keep in the lane. So I would be exhausted on sameday trips to the mtn and back which I am not in the X5 (just did an out and back yesterday and felt great when I got home)
The ABS is so poorly implemented it is straight up dangerous. Numerous times the ABS engaged so roughly that the vehicle was jerked to the right. My friend has the same truck in CA and has experienced the same thing so I dont think it was my particular truck.

The only benefit of the 4R for mountain trips is the cargo area's size and that it has a higher ground clearance.

I went from a TDI Touareg to the 4R and was surprised in the downgrade.
The issue with manual selectable center (non slip) diff is you cannot use it in typical driving conditions. I have used non limited trim 4 runner many times in ski trip, I don't like it. However, there was once, we parked in a cabin driveway. The next morning, only the 4runner with center diff lock made it out of the drive way. And we used it to tow other cars out too. Other cars were chevy trail blazer AWD and Chrysler minivan. I think if I am in such an extreme condition, I would want that 4runner

As for front diff, isn't all the cars today use differential braking to similate limited slip? This is even the case for X5.
      02-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #62
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The issue with manual selectable center (non slip) diff is you cannot use it in typical driving conditions. I have used non limited trim 4 runner many times in ski trip, I don't like it. However, there was once, we parked in a cabin driveway. The next morning, only the 4runner with center diff lock made it out of the drive way. And we used it to tow other cars out too. Other cars were chevy trail blazer AWD and Chrysler minivan. I think if I am in such an extreme condition, I would want that 4runner

As for front diff, isn't all the cars today use differential braking to similate limited slip? This is even the case for X5.
I mean, you can use it in typical driving conditions, it's just not enjoyable. I have driven it on the freeway at speed limit while in 4wd.
The problem comes when you're on dry pavement and have to make more aggressive turns. The front wheels bind b/c lack of slip diff.
It's very noticeable when you go from snow to pavement (like in a parking garage) and try to make 90 degree turns.

To your point, I wouldn't want to have to tow anyone out in my X5 but I would have had no problem doing it in my Touareg or the 4Runner. And I wonder if with the right tires and air suspension so you can raise it up, if the X5 would have had a problem getting out. I suspect it wouldn't have. Tires matter, a lot.

But, to the original point, just driving to and from the mountains in snow conditions - I'd rather be in an X5 (or that Touareg) over a 4Runner for all the reasons I listed above.
Hoping to get into some of those conditions this weekend (and the next, and the next, and the next, and so forth until spring).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:04 AM   #63
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaHubba13 View Post
Just FYI, if you install the snow chain on the rear wheel, make sure you switch off the rear axle steering. From X5 manual page 367:

Installed and looks good - seems to have plenty of room between the chain and the chassis.
Any update on how these performed for you?
Appreciate 0