07-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
JCFans01
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 G30 530e

Best Cleaning Products for Jeans Stain

Hello fellow Bimmerfests,

Just realized that my new jeans are causing a havoc on my leather seats. The indigo and black dyes are transferring over.

Should I be cleaning this right away for best results? Can anyone recommend me the best products for jeans stain removals? Do they come off easy?

Thank you for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:28 AM   #2
ConservativeConsumer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

I am using Leatherique. It is an excellent product.
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-R.../dp/B0002SPCBW
The subject of cleaning leather seats has been discussed on this forum very well. Many stated that BMW OE leather care products work well. Some folks were offering other products they've used with good results. Try running forum search to find out about their qualities.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
JCFans01
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
I am using Leatherique. It is an excellent product.
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-R.../dp/B0002SPCBW
The subject of cleaning leather seats has been discussed on this forum very well. Many stated that BMW OE leather care products work well. Some folks were offering other products they've used with good results. Try running forum search to find out about their qualities.
Thanks for your recommendation. I'm just panicking but I will pore over the forum but also specifically looking for products that will clean denim transfer.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

JCFans -

You need a High PH cleaner and that will literally wipe it off, if the transfer is fresh.

I don't recommend using a coating on Merino, as coatings can only be removed -mechanically-, aka, abrasion. However, it WILL solve this problem if dye transfer is a reoccurring issue. It's basically clear coat on your leather. A simple water wipe will make it go away if coated...

There isn't any great option if you don't coat it, aside from just keeping ontop of the transfer, IMO.

Or just wear Khakis ;-)
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
JCFans01
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
JCFans -

You need a High PH cleaner and that will literally wipe it off, if the transfer is fresh.

I don't recommend using a coating on Merino, as coatings can only be removed -mechanically-, aka, abrasion. However, it WILL solve this problem if dye transfer is a reoccurring issue. It's basically clear coat on your leather. A simple water wipe will make it go away if coated...

There isn't any great option if you don't coat it, aside from just keeping ontop of the transfer, IMO.

Or just wear Khakis ;-)
Thanks, chefwong. I'm considering khakis! lol. Do you have any brand recos for both the pH cleaners and the coating?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
chefwong
Major
Rep

For me, Einszett Nexzett Plastic Cleaner.

You can also try Colourlock Strong Cleaner

I don't recommend coating for merino, but that's just more my POV on putting a -clearcoat that needs to be abraded to removed- on good leather....

If you were to do a side by side test, coating also adds a bit of sheen/shine and also changes the surface to be a bit slicker. If one is just seeking the ability to clean seats easily, then these issues on -finish change- gets forgotten after a week of application...

Water wipedowns IMO is the best cleaner for interiors and you -step up to harshness- when required....

Last edited by chefwong; 07-18-2022 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
chefwong
Major
Rep

Re: the outer bolster. Dye transfer or just overall surface abrasion.....once you do it a few million times, it comes muscle memory. Right foot on entry - a little extra -umph- to scoot past the outer bolster to minimize physical rubbing.

When leaving, left foot, same -umph- to lift the body as you exit, minimizing outer bolster wear.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I use Gyeon silicon leather coating on white merino and the dye transfer from black jeans wipe off.

Not sure if it will help your current situation but should help keep the rest of your leather clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #9
JCFans01
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For me, Einszett Nexzett Plastic Cleaner.

You can also try Colourlock Strong Cleaner

I don't recommend coating for merino, but that's just more my POV on putting a -clearcoat that needs to be abraded to removed- on good leather....

If you were to do a side by side test, coating also adds a bit of sheen/shine and also changes the surface to be a bit slicker. If one is just seeking the ability to clean seats easily, then these issues on -finish change- gets forgotten after a week of application...

Water wipedowns IMO is the best cleaner for interiors and you -step up to harshness- when required....
Thanks. Will look into these although mine is Vernasca leather not Merino.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:15 AM   #10
JCFans01
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
I use Gyeon silicon leather coating on white merino and the dye transfer from black jeans wipe off.

Not sure if it will help your current situation but should help keep the rest of your leather clean.
Thanks for this. Does it leave a shine/sheen?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Re: the outer bolster. Dye transfer or just overall surface abrasion.....once you do it a few million times, it comes muscle memory. Right foot on entry - a little extra -umph- to scoot past the outer bolster to minimize physical rubbing.

When leaving, left foot, same -umph- to lift the body as you exit, minimizing outer bolster wear.
This - and I also tend to tug on the steering wheel a little which seems pretty sturdy to make that -umph- less of an -umph-

Colourlock has been mentioned - I'd recommend that to be pretty good though I had some trouble removing some black leather belt die that transferred a few months ago using the light version of their cleaner. I don't have the strong version but you'd definitely want strong rather than weak for that havoc! Colourlock would leave a completely matte finish when done, including their protector (which is completely invisible and will leave the same sheen as before you protected it).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #12
chefwong
Major
Rep

fwiw, the colourlock protector is not a -coating- in the sense that it needs to be mechanically removed...

OP, since you have Vernasca , I would not hesitate to use a coating if you are heavy jeans wearer. However......do note the sheen/shine/slight textural change it will produce.The benefits may outweigh the latter, and you don't really know the A/B difference loooong after the fact you applied it. But it will change it....but it also depends how ahem picky/sensative you are to these sort of details.

OP: If you end up coating, do a test sport so you can see how it looks/feels on the leather.
Also if you do the drivers seat, you should also do the center armrest + passenger side so the sheen/shine/textural change is consistent across the same plane.

Last edited by chefwong; 07-19-2022 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 10:11 AM   #13
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Almost all leathers are coated with polyurethane over top of the leather. They'd get ruined super easily otherwise. Have you tried soap and water yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 12:24 AM   #14
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFans01 View Post

Just realized that my new jeans are causing a havoc on my leather seats. The indigo and black dyes are transferring over.

Should I be cleaning this right away for best results? Can anyone recommend me the best products for jeans stain removals? Do they come off easy?

Thank you for your help!
Groits garage make a interior cleaner spray spray on wipe off, it’ll take all that dye from jeans off and restore it back to its original finish have used it for years for this reason easy and very gentle to leather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 06:29 PM   #15
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFans01 View Post

Thank you for your help!
Interior cleaner by Griot’s Garage spray on wipe off it’ll take it off completely
Appreciate 0