BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #89
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On a temperature related thing, it might be that one of the wires or coax cables gets pinched as things expand and contract. Note, rubber gets harder as it gets colder, and other things shrink. That sort of thing could be tough to identify. A faulty electronic component might have issues with cold, but they tend to have more issues with heat.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #90
XSnake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 18 X5 40e, 15 528

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
I had my 2-month-old X5 45e Emergency Call System Malfunction message came out on Tuesday. This morning it resolved by itself. I still took it to the dealer and see what's going on. They said it might be the microchip.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #91
XSnake
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 18 X5 40e, 15 528

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
Dealer changed the TCU module. It works fine since. Luckily no water leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 12:44 AM   #92
FbondeM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Comp, M3 G81 comp

Just out of the blue, I got this "Emergency call malfunction" schedule a service on my 2022 X5MC one-month-oldJ
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #93
samieg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

Hi everyone
Look at the moment anybody knows howlong does it take for the replacement part to arrive ? It has been more than 2 months from the dealership with no ETA on arrival for the replacement telematic module
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 09:51 PM   #94
Aquarienne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive50i

Emergency Cell System Malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by samieg View Post
Hi everyone
Look at the moment anybody knows howlong does it take for the replacement part to arrive ? It has been more than 2 months from the dealership with no ETA on arrival for the replacement telematic module
Was about to start a new thread on this myself, but might as well bump a recurring zombie thread instead.

This has been an ongoing nightmare with my 2019 X5 50i aka my Schönheit. First combox/TCB got fried by, as in the case of many posting before me, a leaky shark fin. Except the BMW service folks didn't know that was the cause (in Jan '22)...until they fixed it but then my new combox also got fried (in April '22). The icing on the cake: My car's been at dealer service for ~6 weeks because the NEW replacement combox/TCB, originally slated to arrive by end of May, is apparently located somewhere in the middle of the Ukraine-Russia conflict. Indefinitely delayed with no further info available.

Or perhaps there's one out there, somewhere more accessible but yet to be unearthed and bestowed upon me.

I'm on my third loaner, with two calls (so far) in to BMW North America, who alternately swear there's nothing to be done and promise to escalate my case. I'm rapidly reaching the end of my rope...life is too stressful for this. Driving the latest loaner home sealed the deal: I need a solution ASAP. It'll break my heart to get rid of my Schönheit and I hope it doesn't come to that, but the kids and dear other half are not, um, trade-inable.

If anyone stumbles upon a TCB3 that'll fit a 2019 X5, I'd owe you a lifetime debt of gratitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #95
L0wK1y
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M4 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarienne View Post
Was about to start a new thread on this myself, but might as well bump a recurring zombie thread instead.

This has been an ongoing nightmare with my 2019 X5 50i aka my Schönheit. First combox/TCB got fried by, as in the case of many posting before me, a leaky shark fin. Except the BMW service folks didn't know that was the cause (in Jan '22)...until they fixed it but then my new combox also got fried (in April '22). The icing on the cake: My car's been at dealer service for ~6 weeks because the NEW replacement combox/TCB, originally slated to arrive by end of May, is apparently located somewhere in the middle of the Ukraine-Russia conflict. Indefinitely delayed with no further info available.

Or perhaps there's one out there, somewhere more accessible but yet to be unearthed and bestowed upon me.

I'm on my third loaner, with two calls (so far) in to BMW North America, who alternately swear there's nothing to be done and promise to escalate my case. I'm rapidly reaching the end of my rope...life is too stressful for this. Driving the latest loaner home sealed the deal: I need a solution ASAP. It'll break my heart to get rid of my Schönheit and I hope it doesn't come to that, but the kids and dear other half are not, um, trade-inable.

If anyone stumbles upon a TCB3 that'll fit a 2019 X5, I'd owe you a lifetime debt of gratitude.
This is the 3rd time the same issue occurred for me. The first time they replaced the battery and it worked. The second time it took 4 months to receive the TCB (Ordered in December, got it fixed in April). Problem just occurred again for the third time, again part is backordered. There is definitely a problem with the shark fin assembly which I called out the first visit but they refused to replace it as they "leak tested" it.

Honestly want to move on from this car at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #96
El30
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 E46 M3

This just happened to my '19 40i last week.. In addition to the constant error message popping up while driving, The MyBMW app is no longer updating. Tried rebooting iDrive, logging out and deleting the app as well as resyncing my profile but no luck. Car won't go in until the end of next month for diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:01 PM   #97
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Normally they replace the battery for that circuit board and it's fixed. They did that to my wife's X1 that was doing the same exact thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #98
emmons1204
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M50i

Picked up my CPO 2019 BMW X5 M50i on Saturday (just in time for Father's Day!). Ridiculously excited for my first BMW... well, at least I was for the first 48 hours of ownership. Then this darn error popped up. Hope it's not a sign of what lies ahead.

Scheduled service a week from today (so I'll have 2 good days, 8 "requires service!" days by then). Hopefully they know to check that sharkfin for leaks, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #99
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons1204 View Post
Picked up my CPO 2019 BMW X5 M50i on Saturday (just in time for Father's Day!). Ridiculously excited for my first BMW... well, at least I was for the first 48 hours of ownership. Then this darn error popped up. Hope it's not a sign of what lies ahead.

Scheduled service a week from today (so I'll have 2 good days, 8 "requires service!" days by then). Hopefully they know to check that sharkfin for leaks, etc.
Easier to code it out
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #100
Mybmw123
Registered
Rep
Drives: MBW X5

I bought brand new X5 Sport xDrive 40i back in March 2022. After 2,5 months I got this nasty error "Emergency Call System Malfunction" All mentioned above functions stoped working including SAT radio, GPS, SOS, MIC, All my BMW up functions and etc... I scheduled appointment with the dealer. A girl over the phone said the battery needs to be replaced. ( It looks like I'm not the only one in my area with the same issue.) I'm not leaving the dealer until they re-seal the shark-fin antenna and replace TCU module. I feel so disappointed it's a brand new car. Why would the battery suddenly go bad on the brand new car? It has to be a reason why it went bad. Based on the posts I'm sure the the TCU module is bad too. It's a shame that BMW did not take care of this issue since for years...

What would be the best course of action if I'll need to wait for 2 month for the part to arrive? Can the loaner be kept fo that long ? Trying to do a home work before the scheduled appointment with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:32 PM   #101
LeoDiva
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samieg View Post
Hi everyone
I am going through the same thing - I have been waiting for my backordered parts for over a month; still no ETA.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #102
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Shit mine just popped up too -- commenting for the subscribe and for reading how people ended up.

Like others they are telling me I need replace the battery. I bought CPO until 100k and extra 2 years so not even scared I'm close to 4yrs default warranty expiry.

BMW apps is janky at best with car starts. Funniest part is it used to go away. But its my first winter with the car so water and humidity outside is inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #103
26theone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX xDrive50 (7/27/23)

Not sure if this helps but my dealer in Houston had the TCB in stock and fixed mine same day (last week). So may be inventories are finally catching up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 07:41 PM   #104
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Seeing folks with almost new cars reporting this issue is seriously worrying me.

Modern cars simply should not allow for any sort of water ingress!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 04:51 PM   #105
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep

Quick update:
I finally got the car looked at at BMW.

Diagnosis:
The shark fin is leaking and water ingress has taken out the TCB.

Requires:
New TCB
New Battery for TCB
Replacement shark fin
Replacement antenna

Bottom line:
$3,135

I’ve opened a case with BMW Customer Relations.
Should I hold my breath???
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 06:56 PM   #106
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I wouldn’t hold it too long, unless your service manager is going to bat for you, they are pretty tone deaf for the past few years. Hopefully, you find the one person who is still willing to help. Keep us posted, but this thread seems to point to the need for a TSB or recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #107
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep

I am beginning to wonder.
I am clearly not the only person who is having or has had the issue.

Having a battery stuck up there which needs to be replaced after 3/4 years is one thing, but to have a part of the roof leak after that amount of time, seems non-sensical to me.

Maybe I will order my next BMW without a shark fin antenna since I do not trust them to be able to stop rain getting in through the hole they have cut in my roof ... oh wait ... that's not an option
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 07:48 AM   #108
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKSiNG View Post
Quick update:
I finally got the car looked at at BMW.

Diagnosis:
The shark fin is leaking and water ingress has taken out the TCB.

Requires:
New TCB
New Battery for TCB
Replacement shark fin
Replacement antenna

Bottom line:
$3,135

I’ve opened a case with BMW Customer Relations.
Should I hold my breath???
I love how when you get out of warranty work done they tell you to replace the fin as well. But when it's them fronting the bill I asked to put a new sharkfin on and paint it... was told that won't be necessary :/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #109
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Just got this on our cpo X5 didn’t even have the car for two months, sigh
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 03:05 AM   #110
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Same issue

Here in UK have had same issue for a few months, dealer was waiting on parts and was going to take up our case with BMW UK. I have an extended warranty I took out but set the excess relatively high on the basis we'd probably only want it for like an engine failure or something. Have had this issue, which developed into the sat nav failling also, but have had a windscreen washer jet failure also. Very poor on a car just over 3 years old so I'm considering legal action against the selling dealer as it seems to be a design feature given how common this is and therefore I think I can get them to resolve under consumer rights law.
Appreciate 0