Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
10 months, 4200 miles.
minor issues:
1) misaligned 360º camera view (fixed)
2) switches to Hybrid from (default) Electric drive modes randomly

major issue:
1) lower tailgate open/close failure. upper tailgate showing signs of impending failure. (appt in 5 days)
2) while being serviced for tailgate, got flagged for HV battery recall. took another month to resolve with replacement of one battery module (16 cells)
Appreciate 2
seoul32.00
cptcolo102.00
      10-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #24
popper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 45e 2021

10k; issue with check engine light-turns out defective o-ring in sealed fuel system-on back order; rattle in drivers seat-easily fixed at dealership; what a ride, love it
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      10-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #25
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
10 months, 4200 miles.
minor issues:
1) misaligned 360º camera view (fixed)
2) switches to Hybrid from (default) Electric drive modes randomly
major issue:
1) lower tailgate open/close failure. upper tailgate showing signs of impending failure. (appt in 5 days)
When you say misaligned 360º camera view, can you clarify what was off? At least in overhead view, the front and back views don't align with the side view, but I always assumed it's just a limitation of the tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:06 PM   #26
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
When you say misaligned 360º camera view, can you clarify what was off? At least in overhead view, the front and back views don't align with the side view, but I always assumed it's just a limitation of the tech.
sure, here's a before/after:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      10-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #27
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Almost a year and more than 10k miles on the car, zero issue so far...
      10-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #28
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

20,000 miles since I picked it up mid-January of this this year! Not a single problem except for me cracking a sidewall on a curb.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #29
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
20,000 miles since I picked it up mid-January of this this year! Not a single problem except for me cracking a sidewall on a curb.
> 50000 km's no major issues before last week

my car was among the first batch of x5 45e's delivered

I now just recently received a drivetrain issue message and i've got the feeling something broke down in the process … the car is no longer consuming electricity in sport mode. Gut feeling is bad. Going back in on thursday to check. Message didn't appear again, codes were checked etc, car behaves normal except for fact that it doesn't seem to use electricity to boost performance in sport mode (unless I missed some change or something?)

up till this point I was very happy with the car

not sure now … will keep you posted on forum of what happens
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #30
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

23 months, 25.000km. Zero issues.

(With several trips going > 160km/h for hours on the German Autobahn. :-) )
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      01-25-2022, 10:56 AM   #31
flauradaura
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

2022 in service going on 3 weeks

I picked up my brand new 2022 X5 45e in late September. The first thing I started having problems with was charging. It stopped charging altogether. I replaced the Level 2 cable - it was still covered under warranty and that seemed to fit the problem. My engine light was sporadically going on and off and then a constant on. At the same time a very odd noise was happening when the fans were going on when the heat was activated. My car has been at the dealer going on three weeks. There are no comparable loaners because they were all sold because of lack of inventory and none that have 4 wheel drive. It is winter and I ski so trip to Vermont rescheduled because the house is only accessible with 4 wheel drive- not a paved driveway. I was told that all of the parts have to be sent from Germany and I should wait to hear back from them.

I am no longer confident driving this car even after the repairs. Judging by this website this is not just a problem with 2022's. I custom ordered this car after doing due diligence with my research and am kicking myself that I did not go with the XC90- it may not have been as fun to drive but I know I would still be driving my car. My family has had over 8 brand new cars: Range Rover, GMC, Nissan, Volkswagon, Jeep, Mercedes and Cadillac and have NEVER had issues right off the bat and never have been without a brand new car for over three weeks. This is definitely not because of Covid- this problem seems to have affected other year models as well. I am starting the search for another car because I am doing with BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #32
LarsOtium
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by flauradaura View Post
I picked up my brand new 2022 X5 45e in late September. The first thing I started having problems with was charging. It stopped charging altogether. I replaced the Level 2 cable - it was still covered under warranty and that seemed to fit the problem. My engine light was sporadically going on and off and then a constant on. At the same time a very odd noise was happening when the fans were going on when the heat was activated. My car has been at the dealer going on three weeks. There are no comparable loaners because they were all sold because of lack of inventory and none that have 4 wheel drive. It is winter and I ski so trip to Vermont rescheduled because the house is only accessible with 4 wheel drive- not a paved driveway. I was told that all of the parts have to be sent from Germany and I should wait to hear back from them.

I am no longer confident driving this car even after the repairs. Judging by this website this is not just a problem with 2022's. I custom ordered this car after doing due diligence with my research and am kicking myself that I did not go with the XC90- it may not have been as fun to drive but I know I would still be driving my car. My family has had over 8 brand new cars: Range Rover, GMC, Nissan, Volkswagon, Jeep, Mercedes and Cadillac and have NEVER had issues right off the bat and never have been without a brand new car for over three weeks. This is definitely not because of Covid- this problem seems to have affected other year models as well. I am starting the search for another car because I am doing with BMW

What make of Level 2 charger?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #33
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
17K kilometers. Misaligned hood, AC compressor, condensor, valves, … replaced. And a few weeks ago a suddenly exploding rear windshield when closing the drivers door. And some other minor shit like loss of bass in the HK soundsystem.
Nothing to do with the OP's post, but just curious, Were they able to fix your misaligned hood?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sep 2020 delivery...nothing requiring servicing. I have not gotten the last OTA update, and have an appointment to check that out next week.

FWIW, the 45e was being sold almost two years earlier than it showed up in the USA, so there is some history around, but may be harder to obtain here in the USA. Some of the people that have responded are outside of the USA, and it appears their experience has been good so far.

There were some issues with contaminated HV cells, but that was not unique to BMW. GM had major issues with their Bolt and I'm not sure they've resolved that entirely yet to the point where they stopped delivering any new ones for a while. Other companies have had issues, but the batteries are not built by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #35
Jpflo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, 2019 540i, 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twags View Post
Three weeks and 500 miles after I picked up my brand new 2022 45e, I suddenly had several faults: Charging Stopped and Drivetrain Malfunction. Long story short, after 2 1/2 weeks at the dealer, I finally have the car back. Apparently, the problem was a "temperature sensor malfunction" for cell modules #2 and #10. To solve the problem, the tech had to work closely with BMW engineers in Germany, disassembling and reassembling the entire HV battery.

My question is: how many 45e owners have had problems that required returning their vehicles to the dealer for service other than scheduled maintenance? Please tell us your stories via reply. A poll would be even better, indicating MY and nature and number of repairs, but I don't know how to design one that would give us a spreadsheet showing this information. Anyone want to try? If there's a pattern of issues, then perhaps we can push for renumeration and/or better warranty coverage.
Only had mine for 5 weeks, 1500 miles. Varied miles, some mountain driving on two ski weekends…

No issues thus far.
      01-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #36
Paperlaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Jaguar I-Pace

A little over one year, less than 8000 miles, only issue was bottom tailgate motor malfunctioning… apparently there's a bulletin/recall on that issue and it was quickly repaired under warranty at first annual maintenance. Love the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #37
Silver64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
17K kilometers. Misaligned hood, AC compressor, condensor, valves, … replaced. And a few weeks ago a suddenly exploding rear windshield when closing the drivers door. And some other minor shit like loss of bass in the HK soundsystem.
Sounds like a Friday after a liquid lunch build… sorry about your luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #38
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

8k(6k on electric) miles since 4/21 delivery, no issues
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:19 PM   #39
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

8 months and 3,700mi in...only had a bad seal on the A/C compressor.

Fixed by warranty, and I got an X3 M40i loaner.

Zero complaints and by far my most favorite BMW I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #40
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

2 months 1K miles, no issues at all. Everything works great. Absolutely not issues. Charging has worked with my JuiceNet (with charging schedule) and at ChargePoint without any issues. All drive modes work well. I have a few cosmetic mods and some coding (anti-dazzle, etc). Love the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #41
bigeks357
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 45e M+Shadow CBM

2021 45e, took delivery early Jan 2021. Currently 13k miles. I absolutely love this rig. Also, zero regrets. That said, a couple major issues.

July 2021 — PKK failure; A/C compressor, condenser, valves all replaced, system flushed. Out of service for 18 days.

Oct 2021 — lower rear gate spindle failure, replaced in 2 days time with no service interruption.

Dec 2021 — another PKK failure. Out of service for 37 days. Again, compressor, condenser, valves replaced along with HV battery array. Back in service after an X1 loaner and a check for 2 months worth of installment payments as goodwill.

Still love the car, still would buy again, still would not choose any other car. I came from lifelong VW/Audi ownership. Also just rented a Q5 while traveling, and their tech is garbage compared to BMW. Very wonky. Will buy BMW again. Recognizing that this is all new technology and we as owners are part of the QA process whether we like it or not assuages some of the headache, especially with economic consideration if you ask for it during the process.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      01-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #42
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

FWIW, the 45e was being sold outside of NA for two years prior to BMWUSA offering it for sale in the USA, so you could say it's the fourth year now of production. IOW, it's not new anymore. It's made in the one and only X5 factory in the USA, so it's not a new factory run, either. BMW is the largest vehicle exporter in the USA from that factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #43
X5-45weeeeeeee
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

2022 X5 45e 10-months in and 27,000 miles (I drive A LOT for work) and my electronics system took a dump. In a road trip stopped for restroom, returned to car 5 min later, wouldn’t start. Chassis alerts, braking system alerts, contact dealer alerts. Brake pedal pushing back at my foot.

Eventually jumped the car and got it into the dealer. They had it overnight and were
Told by BMW to charge all batteries overnight. They called me to pick up in the morning. I went to buy gas after picking it up. Wouldn’t start again. Same symptoms.

Towed to BMW. THEY REPLACED 12vdc battery and technician took the car home to test overnight. Didn’t start in the morning.

Now they think it’s the AC compressor causing the issue so they’ve requested a replacement from
BMW. Apparently compressor replacements need approval. I find out Tuesday how it is proceeding.

I can’t believe my beautiful car is falling apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #44
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-45weeeeeeee View Post
2022 X5 45e 10-months in and 27,000 miles (I drive A LOT for work) and my electronics system took a dump. In a road trip stopped for restroom, returned to car 5 min later, wouldn’t start. Chassis alerts, braking system alerts, contact dealer alerts. Brake pedal pushing back at my foot.

Eventually jumped the car and got it into the dealer. They had it overnight and were
Told by BMW to charge all batteries overnight. They called me to pick up in the morning. I went to buy gas after picking it up. Wouldn’t start again. Same symptoms.

Towed to BMW. THEY REPLACED 12vdc battery and technician took the car home to test overnight. Didn’t start in the morning.

Now they think it’s the AC compressor causing the issue so they’ve requested a replacement from
BMW. Apparently compressor replacements need approval. I find out Tuesday how it is proceeding.

I can’t believe my beautiful car is falling apart.
WOW...this is not good! Unbelievable...
I hope they will fix it soon for you...

I'm a retiree...with the way I drive...I will put this much mileage in 6 to 7 years. It will no longer be under warranty! I haven't ordered one yet. I'm taking my time to decide as this will probably be my last car.
Appreciate 0