BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #133
Ghasley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi eTron; Cayenne

My 2021 X5 45e was completely trouble free for 59,xxx miles in just under three years of ownership. Just normal service interval service, routine oil changes. About 60% of my miles were all electric, 40% ICE. Never…one…issue and the original brakes still measured wonderfully. I traded it in in August, 2023 but went with another marque.
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00
      02-24-2024, 11:52 AM   #134
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

Our 2021 45e has 36k miles and has had one major repair. AC compressor blew the high pressure line, eating up the scroll and sending metal throughout the cooling system. New compressor, hoses, heater core, HV cooling grids, etc. I’m on the fence about being worried about this long term since it was due to a faulty hose connection. But it would have been >$20k if we had to pay for it out of pocket…

We are currently trying to figure out what’s covered in the 15/150k TZEV warranty as the guide is written in a confusing way. That’ll help us decide on the extended coverage.

Our usage is 100% EV day to day, then chugging gasoline at 9 mpg for 1-2k miles a year towing our 5,000 lbs camper over several trips.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 11:58 PM   #135
BoozeBaron
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 PHEV xDrive45e

Talking

Greetings all...

My first post here... so consider yourself fortunate that I chose to get my cherry popped here! Apologies mods. I'm just in a very punchy and happy mood tonight ... as I just bought the SUV above from a private party late this afternoon after months and months of searching and shopping for my X5. Landed a mint black on gray leather 2021 BMW X5 PHEV xDrive45e - So; after giving him a 10% deposit with the understanding that I could take the car to "my mechanic" for 48 hours to get it checked from its nose to its toes and that all was well that we had a deal! He gladly took the cash and I made arrangements with the local BMW shop to check everything out plus perused a few Bimmer forums on my own to see if there were any glaring red flags for this year ('21) and since the PHEV was an unexpected surpise at this price point.... and is totally new to me; I also want to understand that better as well. And how this psuedo hybrid works? Much to my surprise the post above popped up in the No.1 slot on Google and started on page 1 seeing this topic started back in circa 2016... meaning this thread is 8 years old! So I then hopped to the last page here and was so relieved to see a ton of recent posts on the topic - and that the post above was positive and that you've had a mostly painless 3 years. [2 1/2 years if we're counting the exact dates] with your similar 2021 X5.

In the FWIW column I never buy new new cars. (Though 2.5 years still feels new to me) I typically flip my cars every 2 years and buy a low mileage 1-2 year old car that's been well kept and looks new as I garage all my cars & I keep the mileage low b/c when it comes to BMW's - after the Porshe Ceyennes that lose 76% of their value in only 3 years - the former loss leader was the BMW 7 series which looses 63% of its value after 5 years and you'll spend $16,000 on maintenance over those 5 years keeping it running. So I kinda shied away from any BMW primarily b/c they're pushing EV's pretty hard now plus I'm 6'2" 220lbs and the X5 is the only BMW SUV they make that fits me well. So was looking at Q7's and the diff Rover SUV lines as my cash cap is around $40K-#45k..Only to learn the Range Rover 2021 has a valve mfg defect that blows the entire engine - so started shopping American and Jap lines and just cant bring myself to head down that path. I can't recall the last time GM changed up their center consoles and knobs? Still look 90's inside but must confess the Escalade did scoot and it was impressive. But then again; for $85k-$110k then I'm going with a European mfg. Just the way I'm wired... plus is day and night difference when it comes to build quality both inside and out (Benz high end interiors and Audi's are just off the chart amazing) and whilst I'll admit I'm a closet tech geek and the Japaneese cram allot of useless tech crap in their cars that draws me in like a sucker... it's coke can metal exteriors - well - they just sound so cheap when you slam a door or hatch. Props where props are due... to Toyota and Honda engines. They last forever. . But the rest? Just don't hold up vs say an Audi, Benz or Bently exterior or interior. Their Leatherwork is second to none! But you'll def pay for it! As all these "new" run between $85k-$200K depending on make and model- plus with the way the world is spinning these days I'm tightening my belt more than usual - hence looking at the 2021 vs a 2 year old 2022 model (saved me $12K!) As I cut a decent deal with this guy only because the Odomoter is 8k more miles over what I was originally willing to settle for (25k miles is my usual max. This one has 33k on it yet is showroom clean. But the post above put my mind at ease as he and others had no issues thru 40K miles.. so i'm feeling much better now. But will read more here after I finish this novel.

Anyway. Happy I found this Forum and look forward to engaging more as I get used to my X5. Oh - I do have one "how long is a string" type Q for ya'll and that is as I approach 40k and 50k miles maybe 55k by the time I'll be ready to flip it for a 2024/5;in 2 years is what should I ask for on the warranty side as I thibk I have a year and half left? Timing chain? belts? oils? Turbo? Injectors? trans? Anything start to get dodgy after 50k? 60k? (I will read these 2023-2024 pages of posts... but am feeling good about this buy. It's a 1 owner and a clean CarFaxm. So best I can tell besides upgrading wheels and tyres here over the next 5-10k miles what else if anything should I have looked at or serviced. Brakes are original so suspect pads are needed here soon.

Lastly most 2022' under 25k miles run around $48k-$62k.... I just paid $32,750 for this one. I honestly think I stole it as I could sell it for $8k - $12k more tomorrow I think? You all agree that was a pretty decent price? (And thats not a boast or brag; that's me doing a real gut check) I also saw the 1st gen PHEV batteries last 8 years. This has the next gen batteries in it... and gets 55 miles on EV alone (that was disappointing) but still is over 435 a tank on the highway.... What should I expect for batteries and servicing them, if anything? Like I said. Totally new territory for me.

Cheers!

BB

Last edited by BoozeBaron; 04-10-2024 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:11 AM   #136
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^. Welcome to the forum. You may have been reading another thread prior to posting as this one started in 2021. The 45e was introduced in the US in 2020 as a MY21. Not sure why you say it is a pseudo hybrid, can you explain that?

We have not seen any common issues so you shouldn't have to worry. The warrant does not provide any preemptive services, only when you have an issue will it kick in.

You did get some bad information on the batteries, the range is about 25 -30 miles on EV but of course that varies with temperature, usage, etc.

Congrats on your new 45e. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
      04-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #137
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

2023 45e with 23,000
No issues or complaints yet other than the car is too heavy in the ass end with the battery packs. Of course air suspension handles it fine
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2024, 09:27 AM   #138
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
my first “hopefully” non-major issue in over 3 years and 26k miles on my MY21. a couple weeks ago, I got the dreaded headliner leak. it was sitting outside in heavy rain for 9h while at work. noticed the wet drops on the front passenger seat, looked up and there it was. ugh!

this was on a Friday so it sat in the garage over the weekend airing out while we were visiting friends 4h away for the weekend. i left it plugged in and ran the preconditioning via the app every chance I remembered. it was nice being able to remotely precondition and charge the vehicle (JuiceBox EVSE), so it was nice and dry when we got home. the only check control notification was passenger restraint failure (makes sense), but it disappeared once dry.

I drop it off to service tomorrow. they’ll have to replace the weatherstripping that’s receded above the front passenger area which is the point of water ingress and likely make sure the drain holes are clear. the rain was really heavy that day and likely overwhelmed the capacity of the drain holes
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 04:19 PM   #139
BoozeBaron
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 PHEV xDrive45e

Thanks Turtle and others... i was definitely on a rush the evening I wrote that and was pulling info and Data from everyplace possible hoping I was making a good decision.

Thanks to all fkr the warm welcomes and the best wishes with my almost new 45e. Appreciate it!

I had to kinda go back 3-4 days and rethink what I was thinkng or saying or asking jn regards to my "pseudo-hybrid" quip. And since then have done more research on the batteries I have vs the 2020 (again. The hybrid wasn't in my original price range or radar- so wasn't shopping for a hybrid 45e but just a plain bog standard X5 petrol model) also the acronym "PHEV" is also used allot in the Range Rover world and models. And seems their RRsport gets 50-55 miles/EV range and based on another PHEV thread w/about 25 posts here - Seems the agreed average with no AC is 31.8 miles on the X5. So my mistake. I mentally crossed some wires there and crossed up the Rover Sport vs the BMW. My bad.

As for my psuedo hybrid. Again hybrids weren't even on my radar and to me a true hybrid is the pre-plug-in models where they recharged on their own from KERS or by braking or possibly a generator. No frigging idea.and of course a charge staruon..... But based on a London taxi driver who picked me up at LHR 2 years ago - his Honda EV dashboard looked like the inside of the frigging space shuttle!! and asked him how he liked it and that's when I learned it was not a pure EV but a hybrid which as a road warrior myself with my company car (Audi) he explained in his broken english/Pakistani how it worked and which gauges he watched the most as (iirc the 2-3 yr old conversation.).. it was about a 65/35 proposition. He'd travel 65% on petrol avd 35% on electric but everything depended on his starting charge and what type of traffic it was. It also had auto shut off so when we hit a red light despite being in EV mode and hardly hearing anything. I'd see the meter change some as it killed the engines (petrol and electric) but that's as deep as I got and didn't discuss MPG vs distance on EV alone but was led to believe that if the percentages he gave me were correct and me doing backseat jetlagged math (and this is fhe origimal or non PHEV model) I'm guestinating he's getting 65-150 from battery and 225-250 on petrol? My issue with pure EV is i live 200 miles round trip from anything so the thought of having a back up gasoline engine assures me of not trying to find a charging station in the mountains or BFE KS/WYO or KS as thats where I'll drive before switching to flights. But I'm just not sold on EV as a stand alone system just yet. Plus personally working as a sponsor in the F1 world they've created a 65% efficient hybrid race engine and in 2 years has to race on synthetic or bio fuels (haven't read the new rules yet. Just know it's coning) Which just rips the V8/V10 2002 Fans heart out of me as there's even rumors of them switching to I-3 PU's or even talk of 2 Cylinder 2-strokes. Now it'll supposedly still do 230mph and have 1000 hp with turbos and such but one reason I passed on the new Hummers is its only available as a pure electric EV . And doesn't suit my driving needs as my town has maybe 2 areas to recharge abd there's always 20-40 cars waiting. Many I f tgem taxis.

Anyway. I just assumed seeing a half petrol/half EV hybrid BMW that it'd do half the distance on battery amd half on petrol. That was before I even knew what PHEV was primarily used for and that you have to plug in every night and that battery is really a local run types charge. It's still primarily a gas engine (yes?) Hence the psuedo analogy thrown out. As 1st gen hybrids depending on mfg ran 50/50 roughly.(50% petrol and 50% electric) But those disappeared fast once Tesla started gaining market share and the total EV push from this admin 10 years too soon w/inadequate electric infrastructure to recharge 300 million US cars if their green plan ever came to pass as they want by 2030. (Plus in my imho Hydrogen IS the futurre. Not electric) ... I dunno. I could be talking out my backside here mixing 15 year old tech with 2022 tech vs brand new 2025 Rover tech. When I saw the a dual distance ranges for electric - that's when I said psuedo. I guess it was the wrong word to to use. More like a partial hybrid? If your gas tanks empty but hsve a full 100% battery charge? You cann make it 20 miles to a gas station to fill up with petrol. So to me tgats not a full blown 50/50 nybrid sttem. If one even ever existed? But seems PHEV cannot go ant further than 30 miles. . Hence me safing "psuedo" as jI just thought it'd go hundreds of miles. Boy was I wrong! But glad ya'll helped me get that straight now I think.

Sorry I went into ramble mode again. So far evening's great. Amd very happy after getting the green light from my BMW dealer so the journey begins. I do need new tires though
.. sop that's first up. Interested to see what all tire sizes will fit on there without modsl? Cheers all.

PS. With this Forum software is there a way for me to grab all thos that replied to me and put it in one post abd comment after eaxh? Or do I have to respond to eaxh post individually? It's literally been 15 years since I visited a forum! Have a great weekend. BB
Appreciate 0