BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2024, 09:02 AM   #1
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp, G05 x40i

Antenna/Telematics Module DIY question

Replaced the battery, the telematics module and the antenna + Cap. They were all water damaged.

Does anyone know if I need to go to the dealership to get this programmed? It's still showing Emergency call malfunction and the Navigation is not working. Tried resetting the idrive but did not help.

Surprised that the cap for the antenna didn't just fall off on it's own, barely put any pressure when trying to remove it and the cap just flew off. Looks like its the paint on the inside of the antenna cap that was the weak link.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 12:04 PM   #2
Fuzzy Master
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Did you do the 20-30 second iDrive reset or longer?

There's been conflicting info on this but supposedly you can do a TCU reset by holding the volume button for about 70 seconds - basically long enough for you to see iDrive start a 3rd reset/restart. Might be worth a try ....

Also possible you may need to use an OBD scanner (or something similar) to clear the stored codes in order to get everything working again.
07/2019.55 (since birth Oct.1,2019)-> 11/2019.70 (OTA Aug.11,2020)-> 11/2020.36 (Dealer Nov.25,2020)-> 03/2021.50 (OTA Jun.15,2021)-> 07/2021.85 (OTA Mar.1,2022)-> 07/2022.58 (OTA Dec.9,2022)-> 11/2022.60 (OTA Mar.2,2023)-> 03/2023.50 (OTA May.31,2023)-> 07/2023.35 (Dealer Aug.21,2023)-> 11/2023.50 (OTA Feb.9,2024)
Appreciate 1
FatHulk127.50
      01-15-2024, 12:22 PM   #3
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post
Did you do the 20-30 second iDrive reset or longer?

There's been conflicting info on this but supposedly you can do a TCU reset by holding the volume button for about 70 seconds - basically long enough for you to see iDrive start a 3rd reset/restart. Might be worth a try ....

Also possible you may need to use an OBD scanner (or something similar) to clear the stored codes in order to get everything working again.
Great thanks have not tried holding it for that long, will test this out later today and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:52 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHulk View Post
Great thanks have not tried holding it for that long, will test this out later today and see if that works.
yup, that’s the telematics reboot that I’ve used on occasion
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:45 PM   #5
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Tried the volume button for 70 seconds but still the same. Will head over to the AD to get them to program.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:46 PM   #6
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
yup, that’s the telematics reboot that I’ve used on occasion
Did you have the Emergency Call system malfunction warning as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 06:37 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have the Emergency Call system malfunction warning as well?
I’ve only had that warning once. I’ve rebooted telematics for that and
1) repopulating renewed Traffic Camera app
2) reestablishing server connection between MyBMW and vehicle
Appreciate 1
FatHulk127.50
      01-16-2024, 07:52 AM   #8
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only had that warning once. I’ve rebooted telematics for that and
1) repopulating renewed Traffic Camera app
2) reestablishing server connection between MyBMW and vehicle
Ok thanks, I've tried resetting several times but nothing changes. Will also get the dealer to do a software upgrade, they told me it was up to date but the last software installed is from 2019
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 09:45 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok thanks, I've tried resetting several times but nothing changes. Will also get the dealer to do a software upgrade, they told me it was up to date but the last software installed is from 2019
and you held the button down constantly through 3 consecutive reboots?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 10:59 AM   #10
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535gt

Have you tried to disconnect the batteries? I had the same error massage and it is the second time the TCM went bad (previous one replaced under warranty but lasted only a year). Besides the error message, my SOS call was also activated and the center screen only showed "emergency call is activated, data is transmitting....". I could not turn that screen off or to display anything else. The screen was basically stuck like that. I tried all kinds of reboot which did not help. I finally disconnected the main battery in the rear truck and the backup battery in the engine bay close to the jump connectors. Waited for 5 minutes before connecting the batteries again and got that screen display back. Now only small text error message in the bottom centre of the dashboard. I am also trying to replace the TCM myself, but not sure if it requires coding. Please let us know what you find out with the dealer.
Appreciate 1
FatHulk127.50
      01-16-2024, 11:01 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
So you did not have to access the antenna (stark fin) from inside by taking part of the headliner down? It just pried off from the outside? Ugh, on my wife's GTi, I had to pull the headliner down far enough to get at two screws and had to pull off the antenna connections from the shark fin in order to remove it. From the pix, looks like you just removed the plastic shark fin cover and all was accessible from the outside, is that right?
In your pic, the antenna film is covering the guts but may I presume that the battery you replaced is under the film? I'm wondering if the water ingress caused a short and damaged the circuitry and that is why you cannot get it working or if a connector or two came loose, popped of, etc.
Appreciate 1
FatHulk127.50
      01-16-2024, 11:10 AM   #12
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
So you did not have to access the antenna (stark fin) from inside by taking part of the headliner down? It just pried off from the outside? Ugh, on my wife's GTi, I had to pull the headliner down far enough to get at two screws and had to pull off the antenna connections from the shark fin in order to remove it. From the pix, looks like you just removed the plastic shark fin cover and all was accessible from the outside, is that right?
In your pic, the antenna film is covering the guts but may I presume that the battery you replaced is under the film? I'm wondering if the water ingress caused a short and damaged the circuitry and that is why you cannot get it working or if a connector or two came loose, popped of, etc.
There is another post where he posted how to access from inside, peeling off the rood lining first. But carefully looking at the fin pictures here, looks like the fin(cover) just snapped in place without any screws (it is snowing here otherwise I would try on my X5 with the same issue today). But I wonder for everything else, you still need to access from inside such as the battery. My bigger question is for coding. My dealer may very well refuse to code for me if I do not spend the money for the parts there.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 11:28 AM   #13
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
and you held the button down constantly through 3 consecutive reboots?
Yes three reboots and was the same. GPS not even close to where I was and the Emergency Call Malfunction message came on.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:32 AM   #14
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No I did remove the headliner but it was fairly easy just removed two plastic pieces from the pillar and pulled down the headliner which gave me access to the TCM, had to remove the antenna cap because I was replacing the antenna but I was surprised how easily it came off.

I replaced with all new parts - Battery, TCM, Antenna, Antenna cap. I'm probably going to put a bead of silicone around the antenna so water can't get in but I'm hoping this gets fixed. Will try unplugging the battery as another user has suggested, but might need to take it to the dealer for programming/coding.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 11:35 AM   #15
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535gtxenon View Post
Have you tried to disconnect the batteries? I had the same error massage and it is the second time the TCM went bad (previous one replaced under warranty but lasted only a year). Besides the error message, my SOS call was also activated and the center screen only showed "emergency call is activated, data is transmitting....". I could not turn that screen off or to display anything else. The screen was basically stuck like that. I tried all kinds of reboot which did not help. I finally disconnected the main battery in the rear truck and the backup battery in the engine bay close to the jump connectors. Waited for 5 minutes before connecting the batteries again and got that screen display back. Now only small text error message in the bottom centre of the dashboard. I am also trying to replace the TCM myself, but not sure if it requires coding. Please let us know what you find out with the dealer.
Have not tried disconnecting the battery, will give that a shot. Not hard to replace the TCM yourself, pull the plastic where the headliner meets the pillar, and pull down the headliner, you do not need to remove the rubber lining as I did the first time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:36 AM   #16
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535gtxenon View Post
There is another post where he posted how to access from inside, peeling off the rood lining first. But carefully looking at the fin pictures here, looks like the fin(cover) just snapped in place without any screws (it is snowing here otherwise I would try on my X5 with the same issue today). But I wonder for everything else, you still need to access from inside such as the battery. My bigger question is for coding. My dealer may very well refuse to code for me if I do not spend the money for the parts there.
I likely have to head to the dealer anyways so I'll let you know what happens. I wanted to do this on my own as the parts alone was $1500 The TCM being the most expensive part.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:59 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
No I did remove the headliner but it was fairly easy just removed two plastic pieces from the pillar and pulled down the headliner which gave me access to the TCM, had to remove the antenna cap because I was replacing the antenna but I was surprised how easily it came off.

I replaced with all new parts - Battery, TCM, Antenna, Antenna cap. I'm probably going to put a bead of silicone around the antenna so water can't get in but I'm hoping this gets fixed. Will try unplugging the battery as another user has suggested, but might need to take it to the dealer for programming/coding.
Thanks. When I installed the new shark fin on my wife's GTi, I used clear silicone to seal it. Did the water hose test the next day, all was well. I used a liberal amount and then when tightening the securing bolts which pulled the fin down onto the roof, I removed the excess with my finger. Looking at it now looks stock. $1,500? Geez, mine was $200 for a complete unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 12:41 PM   #18
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135; 2021 X5 45e

My TCB unit was replaced at the dealer last week for water damage. The notes on the work order state "Performed replacement programming with complete vehicle encoding afterwards." Hope that helps.
      01-16-2024, 12:44 PM   #19
535gtxenon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security_IE View Post
My TCB unit was replaced at the dealer last week for water damage. The notes on the work order state "Performed replacement programming with complete vehicle encoding afterwards." Hope that helps.
seems coding is inevitable. Thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:09 PM   #20
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security_IE View Post
Thanks looks like a trip to the dealer is the only way to get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:10 PM   #21
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. When I installed the new shark fin on my wife's GTi, I used clear silicone to seal it. Did the water hose test the next day, all was well. I used a liberal amount and then when tightening the securing bolts which pulled the fin down onto the roof, I removed the excess with my finger. Looking at it now looks stock. $1,500? Geez, mine was $200 for a complete unit.
$200?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:18 PM   #22
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

Just got the same problem on my car with the the emergency call failure, gps no longer working correctly and loss of connection to the bmw connect drive server. Looks like this is a latent defect as there are number of owners with the same issue. It’s not helped by the fact that the roof is concave where the shark fin is attached which allows water to sit around it.
Appreciate 1