Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
My kit is a lot smaller.

Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.26.55 AM.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  15.2 KB
Funny name on that card, I used to work with a person with the same name. Well, when I'm gone with the car it's usually for months at a time. It's a car survival kit. The kitchen sink is in there too. It became a quest to see how much I could stuff in it. Once done, I then removed the right little cubby door and found a plethora of room under the fuse box, that's now stuffed too
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      01-18-2024, 12:01 PM   #24
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Those pics Marty. I have to check but you must have removed some foam holders or trays holding the jack or the tire is inverted without the clamp or what not.
I haven't looked at how much volume is under the floorboard aside from putting the Cargo Cover away but if memory recalls, there wasn't much when you look at it from the surface.
I don't recall -usable- volume down there.

This may be regional-location specific on Roadside turnaround....but out here, IME, it's been 3-4-5+ hrs. And in those times of waiting for X, I'm out there calling my Amex Roadside, that has Roadside coverage etc to see if I can get a faster turnaround , etc. It's always the same. Guaranteed a long wait.

I haven't had the need for Roadside in quite some time so don't jinx it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 10:03 PM   #25
chefwong
Major
Rep

I have not gotten around to testing...but DANG Marty. I'm going to have to snap some pics of my emergency bag stash contents. I threw it back in the trunk after this thread as I know as luck would happen, I will get a nail after talking about this on the interwebs...

We tend to get full tilt boggie with the trunk filled on the weekends and that emergency bag is taking up room

You have everything below the load floor just short of the kitchen sink it appears

Last edited by chefwong; 02-20-2024 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 07:51 AM   #26
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
I have not gotten around to testing...but DANG Marty. I'm going to have to snap some pics of my emergency bag stash contents. I threw it back in the trunk after this thread as I know as luck would happen, I will get a nail after talking about this on the interwebs...

We tend to get full tilt boggie with the trunk filled on the weekends and that emergency bag is taking up room

You have everything below the load floor just short of the kitchen sink it appears
I'm on travel now, the cargo are is full and I bought a dog seat cover for the back seat so I could fill that up too, and it is. With each visit to a friend/family, we unload a bag or two but we also buy stuff so I am sure we'll arrive home with a full cargo area.
This means that although I have a spare and associated tools to change/fix a flat tire, it will be inconvenient to unload all the junk to gain access to it all. .. .. and then if I cannot fix the flat, I have to stuff the tire in the car but that will go in a bag and in the back seat.
I didn't remove any foam holders/trays because the car didn't come with a spare so there weren't any. Yes, I inverted the spare tire so the well of the wheel is facing up and I used that well to put things in.
Still, I'd rather have the issue of unloading all the stuff to get at the spare as opposed to being stuck in an unsafe situation while awaiting roadside assist. Too many horror stories with roadside assist. I have the knowledge, tools and wherewithal to do certain things myself of which tire issues is one. All I need is a spare tuxedo to put on after the job is done
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:12 AM   #27
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Quote:
That was for a previous generation. Supposedly the G05 uses electric actuators for the door locking and they require power. I will have to look into it and see if I can track anything down.

Edit: I have not found anything definitive on it but have found numerous folks who mention having a dead battery and none of them mentioned the key not working to unlock the door. I would have to assume some of them had their's locked when the battery died.
I have this same concern on my 24 LCI X5. I ran a Cetek extension from the jump posts under the hood to the front tow hook area in the front bumper. When you pop the small cover off, there is a large area in there and my extension end is in there and have about 12" that hangs out when you pull it out. So if the car is ever totally dead, I can pop the cover and can charge or apply power. I too have read that the mechanical door locks may not work with a dead car. Both the pos and neg posts screw off and it's easy to put the Cetek eyelet under the posts. Of course if I want to top the battery off, I open the hood.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
biterror515.50
      02-21-2024, 09:31 AM   #28
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
What would be the need for an emergency hatch release given that the cargo area is not enclosed?
I have a metal dog barrier that is quite secure across the second row opening. I have wondered about this exact same issue for that reason. What would I do if my battery died? What would I do if I get stuck? Whenever I have to get in the back (occasionally reaffix the cargo area cover over the back door) I make sure to take my key into the car with me, because there is no other way to free myself from the cargo area with the door closed!
      02-21-2024, 01:36 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767capt View Post
I have this same concern on my 24 LCI X5. I ran a Cetek extension from the jump posts under the hood to the front tow hook area in the front bumper. When you pop the small cover off, there is a large area in there and my extension end is in there and have about 12" that hangs out when you pull it out. So if the car is ever totally dead, I can pop the cover and can charge or apply power. I too have read that the mechanical door locks may not work with a dead car. Both the pos and neg posts screw off and it's easy to put the Cetek eyelet under the posts. Of course if I want to top the battery off, I open the hood.
Very good idea.
      02-22-2024, 05:04 PM   #30
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767capt View Post
I ran a Cetek extension from the jump posts under the hood to the front tow hook area in the front bumper.
I shouldn't let one bad incident affect things but with Ctek it did. I used to keep the 2 garage queens and the dailys with a similar Ctek extension.
Garage queens always kept on a trickle

Mainly for ease of keeping the batteries at full SOC. One time I had a $$$ deep cycle AGM go bad and the only thing I came to conclude was the Ctek....

I stopped doing the trickles on them, no extensions on the cars , however I will manually connect the Ctek to the every one in awhile depending on frequency of use. AGM obviously have a very low discharge rate...but the whole regen and such, batteries are never at full SOC. With the maintainers, I use them as use-case for SOC top offs - if the BMS will let the juice flow through

I'll have to revisit the thread cause I'm not clear what happens with a 12V charger connected to the front leads....going to the back, through the BMS...blah blah . I believe the mid-voltage LIPO up front does not get any top off at all

Last edited by chefwong; 02-22-2024 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:23 AM   #31
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
My kit is a lot smaller.
Size absolutely matters! :P
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:39 AM   #32
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
Size absolutely matters! :P
I always thought it was quality not quantity that got the job done.