BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Comparisons after test drives. X3M40i, LCI X540i, X5M50i

Wife and I are in the process of possibly replacing her F15 X5 35i. Has been a great trouble-free vehicle. Bought it with 16,000 miles on it and currently has around 85,000. She thought maybe she didn't need the size anymore so she wanted to test drive an X3 M40i as well. We, like most have been hesitant on the new curved screen and all so we wanted to test the pre lci and lci models. Also wanted to compare the new sensafin to leather. We are typically leather sided. Our local dealer which is on the small side actually had everything we were looking for to test. Usually we have to travel good distances multiple times to try everything we want.

The X3 M40i. Really impressive vehicle. Sporty, fast, sounds good. Great brakes. Interior is nice but getting a little long in the tooth being the new model is shortly arriving. She liked it but definitely is smaller and not sure she could get used to downsizing. Plus the luxery is lacking obviously from an X5. We are considering the X3 M but she doesn't think she'd use the performance. I know I would lol.

The LCI X5 40i M sport. Immediately we were like yeah this is more like it lol. The sensafin seats were impressive. Felt good. Comfortable. Still not sure if we'd spec it or not though. Brakes not as good to her as the X3. Quite a bit more powerful than her current X5. Quiet, good riding. Definitely and upgrade. M-sport exhaust disappointing but that's the trend unfortunately. Where we were really impressed at was the dreaded curved screen. There was pretty much a 25% chance we'd like it going in and she swore she'd want buttons lol. It just opens the cabin up and in our short time with it found it fairly easy to do what we needed to do. Super impressed by this vehicle!

X5 M50i M sport. I really wanted to drive this. It had about 47,000 miles on it but was super sharp looking. Just menacing. I wanted to experience the V8 in the X5 since I've only drove a 5 series with it before. It had the merino leather and obviously pre lci. The start up was wild as it had an aftermarket exhaust on it and the leather smelled great. The seats though, and not sure if it was because it had 47,000 miles on it or maybe the lci seats have more padding etc but they just didn't feel near as comfortable and supportive as the sensafin seats. She immediately said this feels more cramped and dated. Not super different from my car she said or thought. The curved screen really opens all that up once again. For the drive. Wow is that thing fast and effortless power. I really want one to be honest lol. I'm on the forums all the time and read so many comments about the weight from the V8 though and we both could immediately feel it. Car just felt like it wanted to plow unlike the inline 6. Also the ride seemed a little more unsetteld compared to the lci 40i. We both got out and were just smiling at the performance of it. What a great engine.

So in the end it answered the questions she was mainly looking for. We are the types that we have to test and try them out because it really changed our perceptions on some things that we wouldn't have known without looking and driving them. Looks like we'll be ordering new most likely.
Appreciate 1
X3_Alaska142.00
      02-24-2024, 09:28 AM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

FWIW, all personal taste of course, but once I saw the curved screen when we were shopping iX M60s, everything else seemed dated. Likewise the modern, elegant shifter. We just picked up my wife's LCI X6 40i M sport and, truth be told, I like it even more than my 2024 ix M60. You won't go wrong with the LCI X5-X6 40i.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1309.50
WagonFan271.50
      02-24-2024, 10:25 AM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Did the M50i have the dynamic package? I highly recommend test driving a car with it, just to ensure you make a right choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #4
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Did the M50i have the dynamic package? I highly recommend test driving a car with it, just to ensure you make a right choice.
I'm pretty positive it didn't but I didn't dig into the options of it. I would order it with it most likely because as fast as it is, the handling just didn't match the speed. I'm not looking for a sports car in it but I just felt the engine overpowered the chassis more than I would have liked.

More than likely the V8 powered version is the one I would take. I hear the M60 is even better than the M50 so that's awesome. The wife would be happy with the 40i. After driving it, she doesn't feel she'd need all that power or use it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 10:56 AM   #5
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

I think once you've experienced the LCI interior, the previous gen will look dated/busy dash. The biggest concern I have about my pre-LCI M50i is how long BMW will keep the various services available. Audi kept dropping support for various services for the Q7 I previously owned and I imagine BMW will eventually do the same with iDrive 7.

Regarding weight, I think I would be okay with a turbo inline six configuration that made the same (or more power) as the V8, if weight savings were significant.

I feel DHP keeps the M50i flat during cornering and greatly assists with turn in, compared to handful of x5 40i loaners I've had. Not sure if the one you had this or not; they seem to be difficult to find in a pre-owned X5.

Good luck in your search!
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1309.50
      02-24-2024, 11:44 AM   #6
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
I think once you've experienced the LCI interior, the previous gen will look dated/busy dash. The biggest concern I have about my pre-LCI M50i is how long BMW will keep the various services available. Audi kept dropping support for various services for the Q7 I previously owned and I imagine BMW will eventually do the same with iDrive 7.

Regarding weight, I think I would be okay with a turbo inline six configuration that made the same (or more power) as the V8, if weight savings were significant.

I feel DHP keeps the M50i flat during cornering and greatly assists with turn in, compared to handful of x5 40i loaners I've had. Not sure if the one you had this or not; they seem to be difficult to find in a pre-owned X5.

Good luck in your search!
I think that will come into play with all the manufacturers in regards to software unfortunately. Were now in the cell phone age with cars.

Thanks for DHP information. Sounds like it's a must have if you want to earn back some handling from the weight. It is tough to find pre owns with it. I honestly don't think many option it. It's a big luxury rocket and I think most don't care about the handling. If they do they either have a car or go full M.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 11:56 AM   #7
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I think that will come into play with all the manufacturers in regards to software unfortunately. Were now in the cell phone age with cars.

Thanks for DHP information. Sounds like it's a must have if you want to earn back some handling from the weight. It is tough to find pre owns with it. I honestly don't think many option it. It's a big luxury rocket and I think most don't care about the handling. If they do they either have a car or go full M.
For me, this M50i ticked every sport luxury box and DHP was definitely a part of that. This segment definitely seems to be waning and was glad to get into it.

Maybe another option is the X6 40i. For me the suspension and steering felt significantly more sporty (turn in especially) than the X5 40i, and that was without DHP.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 12:05 PM   #8
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
For me, this M50i ticked every sport luxury box and DHP was definitely a part of that. This segment definitely seems to be waning and was glad to get into it.

Maybe another option is the X6 40i. For me the suspension and steering felt significantly more sporty (turn in especially) than the X5 40i, and that was without DHP.
I've heard that about the X6, X4 etc. Makes sense. Not really into the styling of those but thanks for the information.
      02-24-2024, 12:38 PM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I have the curved dash and ID8 in my M3, and ID7 with old dash in my X6.

At first when I got the M3 I was like "this is amazing!" but after a few weeks and using both cars, I can honestly say I hate the new implemenation - the mega screen, the lack of buttons, the UI.

Some of it is down to irritation as I hate getting fingerprints on my screens but I can't easily turn on heated seats or adjust the temp in my M3 without touching the screen. But part of it is just the way it feels to me compared to ID7, a proper binnacle for the guage cluster and quality buttons just make it feel more like a car and less like a widescreen TV in front of an armchair.

Thankfully my M3 still has an actual shift lever being an M, but that little nipple in the non-M's is possibly the worst part of the interior changes IMO. The crystal shifter in my X6 is amazing. Luckily that could be retrofitted if I ever end up with an LCI.
Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1309.50
X3_Alaska142.00
1Boxer34.50
      02-24-2024, 01:15 PM   #10
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I have the curved dash and ID8 in my M3, and ID7 with old dash in my X6.

At first when I got the M3 I was like "this is amazing!" but after a few weeks and using both cars, I can honestly say I hate the new implemenation - the mega screen, the lack of buttons, the UI.

Some of it is down to irritation as I hate getting fingerprints on my screens but I can't easily turn on heated seats or adjust the temp in my M3 without touching the screen. But part of it is just the way it feels to me compared to ID7, a proper binnacle for the guage cluster and quality buttons just make it feel more like a car and less like a widescreen TV in front of an armchair.

Thankfully my M3 still has an actual shift lever being an M, but that little nipple in the non-M's is possibly the worst part of the interior changes IMO. The crystal shifter in my X6 is amazing. Luckily that could be retrofitted if I ever end up with an LCI.
I have the ID7 as well on my M3 and much prefer it to the curved screen in the newer M3's. Mine feels more like a cockpit. On the X5 we drove I felt the curved screen fit that vehicle much better. I would also agree on the fingerprints. I never touch my screen because I hate cleaning it and am super anal about the cleanliness of it lol. I also don't like the little shift nipple they've gone to. It does make for a cleaner less things to bump into format but I just like something with a little meat to hold onto when shifting. Doesn't feel premium to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 01:33 PM   #11
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I have the ID7 as well on my M3 and much prefer it to the curved screen in the newer M3's. Mine feels more like a cockpit. On the X5 we drove I felt the curved screen fit that vehicle much better. I would also agree on the fingerprints. I never touch my screen because I hate cleaning it and am super anal about the cleanliness of it lol. I also don't like the little shift nipple they've gone to. It does make for a cleaner less things to bump into format but I just like something with a little meat to hold onto when shifting. Doesn't feel premium to me.
Oh we've got the same colour M3! IOMG love that colour so much!!

M3 and X5/6 are the perfect 2 car garage IMO
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1309.50
      02-24-2024, 02:48 PM   #12
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I was very skeptical about DHP going in. The first M50i I drove didn't have it, and it was fine. The one I bought does have DHP and all I can say is wow. It makes an unbelievable difference. I've had mag ride, air ride, and about everything in between, and honestly, DHP is the most impactful suspension option I've ever seen.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1309.50