BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2023, 09:48 AM   #45
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
So bike rack aside (the Kuat is perfectly stable in the receiver itself), does your receiver not wiggle whatsoever when installed?
My receiver does not wiggle at all but it is the factory hitch and not the Stealth hitch.
      04-17-2023, 10:01 PM   #46
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The OEM receiver is bolted in place so if it moves, something's broken. The receiver module for the Stealth Hitch is held in place by a spring-loaded bar into an indent, then locked from being released by a pin...there's room for a little bit of slop, but not much. The part it locks into, should be rock solid, as that's bolted to the chassis.

In a vehicle without the OEM towing package, that aluminum assembly is a crush device that helps absorb an impact. Neither the OEM nor aftermarket hitches retain that additional crush member, but my gut feeling is that the OEM package would be better than an aftermarket unit in a rear accident through analysis, and actual crash tests, that the aftermarket units do not do.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #47
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
I spoke to Stealth Hitches yesterday and they said slight play is normal and within their tolerances. They are going to send me another receiver to see if it connects tighter.
      05-08-2023, 08:01 PM   #48
DeepFly52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 (991.2), x45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
I spoke to Stealth Hitches yesterday and they said slight play is normal and within their tolerances. They are going to send me another receiver to see if it connects tighter.
That's really cool of them. I had a stealth hitch on my Cayenne and there was a very slight play from the car to the hitch when I'd always test to it to make sure it was secure after attaching it, but it never worried me. I put a few thousand miles total carrying my Kuat and never had issues.
Appreciate 1