BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Post Replacing R/F tires on 2020 X5 xDrive40i

I have a 2020 X5 xDrive40i with 275/45R20 Scorpion run flats. I have 10K miles on the car and now the tires need to be replaced. There is a screw in right front tire and they are all over 50% worn. Many tire shops will not repair a run flat. I can replace one tire however due to the wear on other tires, I am told that replacing one tire could cause drivetrain issues.

I hate run flat tires, they don't last, destroy the ride of the car, handle poorly etc. I have never understood why BMW installs run flats especially when you pay over 70K for this vehicle.

I am going to replace all the tires with standard ones and it has been recommended that I get the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. There is another option I looked at which is the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra.

I am told that once I switch to standard tires there will be a noticeable difference in the way the car handles and rides.

My inclination is to get the Michelin's simply because they do make some of the best tires and the Cross Climate has a tread design that is cool looking.

Trying to get some feedback on what others have done when replacing their tires.

Note, I don't have staggered tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 09:13 PM   #2
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

If you are trying save on costs and if replacing only one tire is not an option, perhaps replace two tires rather than all four and put them in the rear? Not sure if this would cause drivetrain issues.

Also, I see you live in FL. Have you considered summer tires?
Appreciate 0