BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
astonius
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Digital Key card

I purchased a 2020 X5 M50i second-hand that did not include the Digital Key card. I've heard mixed directions about how to get a replacement. Some forums say you can simply buy a card from anywhere and program it yourself using the wireless charging pad. The dealer is saying it has to be purchased through them. The dealer is charging $74 just for the part. I have seen them in online stores for around $40. Can anyone confirm the accurate info?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonius View Post
I purchased a 2020 X5 M50i second-hand that did not include the Digital Key card. I've heard mixed directions about how to get a replacement. Some forums say you can simply buy a card from anywhere and program it yourself using the wireless charging pad. The dealer is saying it has to be purchased through them. The dealer is charging $74 just for the part. I have seen them in online stores for around $40. Can anyone confirm the accurate info?
Don't quote me on this but all I had to do when I received my new G05 was place the unprogrammed keycard on the charging pad and select a setting in iDrive that linked it. I would assume you could purchase one from anywhere as long as it's OEM and unprogrammed and it should work.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The card needs to be assigned to your VIN (or some other internal identifier) so it must come from the dealer. At least that is how it used to be unless others can program the card.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The card needs to be assigned to your VIN (or some other internal identifier) so it must come from the dealer. At least that is how it used to be unless others can program the card.
If that's the case then clearly disregard my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Buy the card from online and you can program it through the iDrive, it's pretty easy

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
astonius
Rep

Hah, well this thread has really cleared things up 😬
Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00
      10-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Hah, well this thread has really cleared things up
I tried to order one from overseas. The os dealer contacted me to say they could not deliver as it had to be tied to my vehicle's VIN (I think).

I am pretty sure you have to organise through a dealership.

Programming the phone key requires an "install" of what I assume is some sort of digital certificate before it can be registered to the car. It then showed up on my vehicle as an available key to register prior to me doing so by putting the key in the tray in the vehicle and activating it. As such there seems to be some form of backend linking of the key to the car before it is formally activated in the car.

I realise this is a rambling comment. Sorry. Buy the key through your dealership if you want it to work.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Check with Brit PARTS@STBMW but I believe those are vin linked hence why you have to get them through the dealer. Could be wrong but she will know for 100% if you want to shoot her a PM. Im also sure we can get you a heavy discount on one if you end up wanting one.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
rolllikero
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i 2020

Can I purchase a nfc key card from one of the part websites and program the card in the wireless charger? Is there a specific option that my car must have? I'm in india and my x5 comes with comfort access and wireless charging. We do not have connected driver here though.

I wanted to get an extra key for my car and a key card is significantly cheaper than a new key.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
astonius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Check with Brit PARTS@STBMW but I believe those are vin linked hence why you have to get them through the dealer. Could be wrong but she will know for 100% if you want to shoot her a PM. Im also sure we can get you a heavy discount on one if you end up wanting one.
Just heard back from Brit. Apparently dealers are no longer authorized to sell digital key cards online. They must be purchased in person. Thank you for the contact! I'll just bite the bullet and pay the ~$70.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10722.50
      10-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Just heard back from Brit. Apparently dealers are no longer authorized to sell digital key cards online. They must be purchased in person. Thank you for the contact! I'll just bite the bullet and pay the ~$70.
yea she just text me a few moments ago and let me know BMW changed the policy! bummer bc we were dialing those in for forum members. Sorry bud, any other parts though in the future let us know and we hook it up! enjoy your weekend

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 11:00 PM   #12
astonius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Quote:
yea she just text me a few moments ago and let me know BMW changed the policy! bummer bc we were dialing those in for forum members. Sorry bud, any other parts though in the future let us know and we hook it up! enjoy your weekend
Hey thank you, I'll probably take you up on that offer. I could use some black badges. Previous owner had them painted, but they look terrible. Should I reach out to Brit for those?
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10722.50
      11-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Hey thank you, I'll probably take you up on that offer. I could use some black badges. Previous owner had them painted, but they look terrible. Should I reach out to Brit for those?
yea! BMW makes them she will hook you up! They are pricey though, but hey that's BMW for ya right enjoy your sunday!

Appreciate 0