09-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #45
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
AS lowers the car to level L2 when switched to driving mode sport. Not with switching the gear M/S. I think it also lowers automatically above 130 mph, more a autobahn thing.

The car can be set to L2 manually with the switch in all drive modes. It will make it more stable in corners but also a bit more bumpy on bad roads.

It does a good job but it is a heavy SUV and it will never corner like an M3.

I thought toggling the gear shifter to the side automatically puts the car in sport drive mode and allows you to shift manually, like two in one. So we actually have to change it to sport mode in drive mode selection then.
I may have been mistaken because of he way audi handles it since shifter tilt gives you sport mode and holds the gear you shifted manually (as opposed to eventually going back D in Comfort mode). I need to brush up on my BMW knowledge after only 3 years away.

What's the error in configurator?
      09-26-2020, 12:16 AM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
My understanding is no to lowering and/or coding to lower - i'm hoping someone with M-car experience and Air Suspension experience will give us a comparison....
As mentioned above, this is not correct. The vehicle can be lowered automatically and manually.

There is no need to even try and compare an m car experience to air suspension, they are not even in the same class of vehicles. The closest you will get to an M car experience is an X5M and you still will be far apart. This is an SUV not a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #47
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
As mentioned above, this is not correct. The vehicle can be lowered automatically and manually.

There is no need to even try and compare an m car experience to air suspension, they are not even in the same class of vehicles. The closest you will get to an M car experience is an X5M and you still will be far apart. This is an SUV not a sports car.

Maybe he meant mSport with air suspension added vs and x-Line with air suspension comparison?
      09-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I thought toggling the gear shifter to the side automatically puts the car in sport drive mode and allows you to shift manually, like two in one. So we actually have to change it to sport mode in drive mode selection then.
I may have been mistaken because of he way audi handles it since shifter tilt gives you sport mode and holds the gear you shifted manually (as opposed to eventually going back D in Comfort mode). I need to brush up on my BMW knowledge after only 3 years away.
No, pushing it to the side gives three options: sport shifting and manual shifting with automatic shifts and manual shifting without automatic shifts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:28 AM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe he meant mSport with air suspension added vs and x-Line with air suspension comparison?
As I mentioned before, those two are exactly the same. The MSport is just cosmetic in that instance since they have the same suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #50
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
There is no need to even try and compare an m car experience to air suspension, they are not even in the same class of vehicles.
The point of the m-car comparison isn't due to an expectation they're the same vehicle or even class, rather how much different are they in terms of body roll? An M car will take corners and stay flat, i.e., not roll to the outside of the curve (like the Ford Exploder roll-over risk of days past) ... and presumably the m-suspension available in other X models (i.e., not the 45e's air suspension) has anti-roll bars, etc that prevent that body roll (at the sacrifice of comfort)

Thus the question is, can a driver familiar with anti-roll sport suspensions AND the air suspension let us know how much roll the air suspension has in sport in comparison to other vehicles?

• If the answer is, "it's not too bad for an SUV, certainly not as bad as, say, a rental Chevy Equinox" then that'd be great!

• OTOH, if the answer is, "well, she's gonna roll, that's just how a comfort suspension is" then that's not great.

I have zero SUV experience except from the occasional rental (which roll like an alumacraft) so just trying to get an idea of what to expect ( for me, I don't care about the lowering).

TBH, if there's a lot of roll I'll have to cancel my order ... kinda worried now, was hoping not to have to test drive ...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #51
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
my concern with air suspension is roll going around corners fast -
if that's the case, then I need to drop 2VR from my build.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #52
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Quote:
my concern with air suspension is roll going around corners fast -
if that's the case, then I need to drop 2VR from my build.
It is all about expectations.

If you want a sporty driving SUV, From car reviews the best would be a Porsche Macan or Alfa Stelvio. But they are smaller, and that's probably why they are able to make them more sporty. And then it is the Cayenne and X5, (or Lamborghini Urus, but it would take a bit more &#128176. I don't know about the Maserati Levante.

I am perfectly happy with my air suspension. But I am not cornering my car on two wheels. I also have IAS and I can take corners fast. It moves more in corners than a 5 series. If more room and a fast cornering car is what you are looking for, a 5 touring would be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:17 AM   #53
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AS lowers the car to level L2 when switched to driving mode sport. Not with switching the gear M/S. I think it also lowers automatically above 130 mph, more a autobahn thing.

The car can be set to L2 manually with the switch in all drive modes. It will make it more stable in corners but also a bit more bumpy on bad roads.

It does a good job but it is a heavy SUV and it will never corner like an M3.

What's the error in configurator?
The shifter to the right puts the gear into sport mode. I do this for some short accelerations like overtaking or a the red light. It is easy to do and you don't have to look for the button. Also with the 45e it switches the ICE on directly and everything is ready for full power. Kick down would take longer for the car to react when in electric individual.

The drive style selector puts everything into sport mode: steering, suspension, gas pedal reaction, seat bolsters. So it lowers the car, heavier steering, tighten the back rear bolster of the seats, sportier reaction to the gas paddle, switches the dash to red.

Putting the gear shifter to the right changes the way the gearbox reacts in the way you mention but doesn't do all the rest. So it will stay in comfort mode

The error is /was that the config showed that M sport suspension pro is able to lower the body at higher speeds which seems to be incorrect because it does not have AS.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:26 AM   #54
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:

If you want a sporty driving SUV, From car reviews the best would be a Porsche Macan or Alfa Stelvio. But they are smaller, and that's probably why they are able to make them more sporty. And then it is the Cayenne and X5, (or Lamborghini Urus, but it would take a bit more ��). I don't know about the Maserati Levante.

I am perfectly happy with my air suspension. But I am not cornering my car on two wheels. I also have IAS and I can take corners fast. It moves more in corners than a 5 series. If more room and a fast cornering car is what you are looking for, a 5 touring would be a good option.
I think adaptive M suspension will do fine. Oh yes, I drive fast around corners and roundabout. In US, they are going backward by making roundabout instead of traffic light and I have experienced roll while driving in normal speed around the roundabout in my F15 40e.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 01:47 AM   #55
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Quote:

If you want a sporty driving SUV, From car reviews the best would be a Porsche Macan or Alfa Stelvio. But they are smaller, and that's probably why they are able to make them more sporty. And then it is the Cayenne and X5, (or Lamborghini Urus, but it would take a bit more ��). I don't know about the Maserati Levante.

I think adaptive M suspension will do fine. Oh yes, I drive fast around corners and roundabout. In US, they are going backward by making roundabout instead of traffic light and I have experienced roll while driving in normal speed around the roundabout in my F15 40e.
I also had a f15 40e with m sport pack. If that is what you are comparing to you will be happy. I didn't see but are you ordering a 45e? Because you can't chose sport suspension.

We are having more and more roundabouts too. Actually it is not so bad to keep the traffic flowing if the are designed well (2 lanes and a separate for going right). And everyone is using them correctly: going to the central lane if you have to do 3/4. It takes the speed out of traffic and . Maybe that is why it also takes the fun part out. If I am in the mood and I know I can win I like a red light sprint.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:29 AM   #56
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
If you want a sporty driving SUV,
For me that ain't the question (x5m is the answer to that one) ...

Rather, does the 45e with its extra weight and air suspension body roll like a Chriscraft? Maybe more specifically, does the 45e body roll like a Chevy Equinox? (just to pick on Chevy since I"m familiar with it )

EDIT: best I can find on body roll in a review is this at 4:00
"although there is a lot of body lean, the comfort levels in this car are well worth it"

Sooooo ... if this lady thinks the 45e has "a lot of body lean" ... uh oh. though she does mention you can "stick it in sport" and then "it's a properly nice car to drive" so double HMMMmmmmm....

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-26-2020 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #57
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

As numerous posters have said, the suspension feeling is personal. What one person expects, accepts or experiences can be totally different than another. I'm not sure how much value there is in others' opinion unless you are just looking for one person to say there is roll, which obviously there has been. As many others have stated there is no need to worry about excessive roll, any roll in many situations, with the air suspension.

If anyone is truly worried about roll/how it handles then the only prudent thing to do is test drive the various suspension options in the conditions you usually drive in.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #58
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you want a sporty driving SUV,
For me that ain't the question (x5m is the answer to that one) ...

Rather, does the 45e with its extra weight and air suspension body roll like a Chriscraft? Maybe more specifically, does the 45e body roll like a Chevy Equinox? (just to pick on Chevy since I"m familiar with it )

EDIT: best I can find on body roll in a review is this at 4:00
"although there is a lot of body lean, the comfort levels in this car are well worth it"

Sooooo ... if this lady thinks the 45e has "a lot of body lean" ... uh oh. though she does mention you can "stick it in sport" and then "it's a properly nice car to drive" so double HMMMmmmmm....
For me it doesn't roll. But like TurtleBoy says it is all very personal. Maybe you should just test it.

I have tested an XC 90 T8 without air suspension. That car has a serious body roll.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #59
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

X5 is going to roll no matter what. The only way you're to significantly reduce roll is opting for a M50i with Dynamic Handling Package.

Adaptive M Suspension has no ride height control and you're only able to adjust the ride damping.

Same with air, as mentioned by others, drive in Adaptive or Sport or manually lower air suspension to Sport level which is what I do in any driving mode. Reducing vehicle ride level lowers the vehicle center of gravity (lower than Adaptive M) and compression of air springs/struts for damping and roll.

When you're up at Greenville Airport for PCD, BMWNA provides Greenville Marriott X5 xDrive40i M Sports. I personally found is, riding as rear passenger from the airport, X5 rode very planted and Adaptive M harsh even with 20" and didn't absorb road imperfections and bumps as well as Air.

Difference between G05 roll with Adaptive M versus Air is going to be anecdotal and there hasn't been any instrument recorded measurements to make a conclusive assumption that one is better than the other. What's evident is, there is a ride damping/quality difference between the two. G05 is an improvement over the F15 when it comes to ride, handling and cornering. I'm able to take my G05 with air in Sport level into favorite sweeping exit curve from 495 to 395 10-12mph faster (72-75mph) with confidence than my previous F15 (60-64mph) which significantly rolled.

BMW's summation:
"BMW customers can choose between a sporty chassis and suspension with steel springs and a
comfortable air suspension with advanced customer functions, e.g. for offroad driving"

If you're hesitant stick with Adaptive M, but you're looking for versatility go with Air.

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      09-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #60
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
There is no need to even try and compare an m car experience to air suspension, they are not even in the same class of vehicles.
The point of the m-car comparison isn't due to an expectation they're the same vehicle or even class, rather how much different are they in terms of body roll? An M car will take corners and stay flat, i.e., not roll to the outside of the curve (like the Ford Exploder roll-over risk of days past) ... and presumably the m-suspension available in other X models (i.e., not the 45e's air suspension) has anti-roll bars, etc that prevent that body roll (at the sacrifice of comfort)

Thus the question is, can a driver familiar with anti-roll sport suspensions AND the air suspension let us know how much roll the air suspension has in sport in comparison to other vehicles?

• If the answer is, "it's not too bad for an SUV, certainly not as bad as, say, a rental Chevy Equinox" then that'd be great!

• OTOH, if the answer is, "well, she's gonna roll, that's just how a comfort suspension is" then that's not great.

I have zero SUV experience except from the occasional rental (which roll like an alumacraft) so just trying to get an idea of what to expect ( for me, I don't care about the lowering).

TBH, if there's a lot of roll I'll have to cancel my order ... kinda worried now, was hoping not to have to test drive ...

for what its worth i had a 335d with Bilstein B8 and acs springs and michelin ps4s. I could confidently corner at 50mph at a very angled exit.
The 30d G05 msport with 2 axle air suspension feels equally planted steering fell is lesser body roll is lesser too but it feels instead of 60 im doing 30 as its more comfortable. So I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how little body roll there is in the g05(even compared to F15).
Never owned an m car so can't comment. Once the 3 kids grow up will get one as its on the to do list.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50